Need new ideas for ground beef

That is a very impressive list!!

Thanks! Still going. I have a bunch of recipes saved. Correcting broken links now.

“I have to find ways to use up like 5 lbs. of ground beef every so often”

I’m thinking you should cook up a big pot of chili or grill out hamburgers and have friends or the neighbors over. Get over the first overwhelming 5 lbs that way. Then start from scratch with the next pound here and there with all the great suggestions here.

3 Likes

I really dislike anything mushroom. I’ve tried, but they are not for me.

1 Like

Bolognese or meat sauce, chili, meat loaf, and ground beef stroganoff are my usual go-tos.

But you can cook it up for tacos, put it on pizza, use it baked ziti, stuffed peppers, Sloppy Joes, empanadas, Tex-Mex casserole.

1 Like

Tex Mex casserole reminded me to mention tamale pie :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Natchitoches

Do you have a recipe for tamale pie you like?

1 Like

Enjoyable viewing.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

This link uses ground pork in the recipe, but I’ve made it with ground beef (and ground chicken too).

1 Like

Wow, lots of great suggestions and recipe links here! This is a great start - thank you, all.

I’m one of those weird people who doesn’t like pizza (and when I do eat it, it’s got to be close to plain cheese or with veggies only), and I don’t really love hard tacos either, but I will give those a try too. Love the idea of bolognese and shepherd’s pie - now just to find the right recipes and experiment.

The ground beef from the meat share comes in 1lb packs, and I can make 4 burgers out of that. That’s a lot of burgers to have in a week for me. I don’t eat burgers for dinner - only when I have to. I do use about 2lb of the meat for the hamburg steaks which I freeze and use as a quick meal option when I don’t want to think about what’s for dinner, but 2lbs makes 8-10 servings of that for me, so I can’t have that too often either.

1 Like

Kobuta, it sounds like you only have a hard time with the ground beef, and you find a way to use up the other cuts of meat. I’ll put an idea out which I don’t believe I’ve seen yet. If you ever have friends over, do it when you’ve got ground beef to use up. That way the amount won’t seem so overwhelming to you. Feed them meatballs, hamburgers, meatloaf, tacos, or any of the other ideas you’ve seen. Most people will be happy with the food and delighted with the invitation.

2 Likes

That’s assuming I have friends…

Haha, kidding. I don’t do a lot of hosting (which is not a big problem for me) except for family dinners. I have cats, and some how my friends don’t appreciate that cat hair makes everything taste better.

I’ve been to dinners at friends houses who also own cats. Seemingly, no one owns just one cat. Anyway, I haven’t come away with any hairballs. Have your friends said something to you, or are you just self conscious about it? Sorry if I’m prying. It just seems expedient to share food with others if there is too much for you.

1 Like

Two of my friends are allergic to cats so they’re always nervous about coming over to my place. No one has ever made a comment about hair in food, and I always tells them I’m willing to lock them in my basement so they don’t jump onto the table while we’re eating, which I have to admit is a real possibility otherwise.

4 Likes

Familar territory, including typucal recipes.

1 Like

I adore Sloppy Joes, and I’m not price conscious when it comes to good, easy food as I get older. I have to say that Stonewall Kitchen’s Sloppy Joe sauce is as good as I could ever make myself. I admit I add a “pinch” of Penzy’s Italian seasoning to it. I butter and grill the sesame seed buns from our deli and we like Sargento’s thin sliced cheddar on the sandwiches. Just enough to keep them from being too sloppy but not too cheesy. Cole slaw or 4 bean salad on the side.

3 Likes

#9-How to make burgers on the stovetop.
Are young folks these days so isolated from everyday life in the kitchen that they have to be taught this ?
Funny and scary.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Better late than never.

1 Like