My fishcakes lack punch.

Thanks, this recipe looks a bit different from my initial search when I cooked the meal. That one only stated celery salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper flakes. Since I already added all these + mustard (except celery salt) I thought I kind of had the right mix.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks. They look gorgeous!

Used for steaming crabs, shrimp boils, or adding as a secret ingredient to jambalaya. It is a wonderful seasoning. I’d be happy to send you some, message me.

1 Like

Also, in Baltimore, you will Old Bay in many sweets. A lot of crab houses here actually use a local brand called J.O. instead of Old Bay.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Looks like I can find OB online, I guess not the same price as in US.
https://www.amazon.fr/American-Old-Bay-Seasoning-170g/dp/B0009PCP6S/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1516274170&sr=1-1&keywords=old+bay+seasoning

What’s the difference between the 2?

Looking great! I was advised upthread to try Old Bay, and easily sourced it from Amazon. Not much kitchen time recently, but I’ll add feedback from an Old Bay newbie when I’ve had a chance to give it a go.

It’s quite salty so I find I have to adjust the salt called for (in the NYtimes recipe).

The biggest difference is that J.O. No. 2 (the one used by crab houses) is coarser. Other than that, the spice blends are proprietary so it’s hard to say exactly what the difference is. Old Bay has an ingredient that is sometimes overwhelming for me when used raw. Maybe it’s mace or nutmeg.

1 Like

I have a friend in Maryland and she puts it on popcorn. Sweets? I’ll have to have her bring some next time, because that sounds odd enough to want to try.

2 Likes

There are chocolates and caramels and ice cream and doughnuts and such with Old Bay.

1 Like

I do this too. I do mostly microwave popcorn, so I cook that, drizzle some melted butter, sprinkle on some Old Bay, and then shake the bag to mix it up.

Makes a nice cocktail party snack too – I do less butter, mix it up and put it in bowls on the various tables for people to nibble on.

2 Likes

Good on chicken wings too

Not that I care what anyone puts in their fishcakes but for my money fish cakes are a New England thing & Old Bay is a Chesapeake thing. I like OB on crabs & shrimp… & French fries.

Let me revise that - fish cakes with Salt Cod are a New England thing but I guess that’s because I learned to make them from New Englanders.

3 Likes

I actually use old bay a lot with tofu! It’s a tasty easy spice blend to add to baked or pan fried tofu.

3 Likes

Using the NYtimes recipe- here’s a photo of my mine–

4 Likes

Those look good.

Six months later and I’ve finally used my Old Bay. Not in a fishcake yet, but rubbed with a little oil onto chicken (skinless boneless thighs) a few hours prior to grilling over charcoal. Wow. A massive, resounding success! I can’t thank you enough for suggesting it.

6 Likes

Old Bay is good added to cocktail sauce for shrimp and my wife adds it to her bloody mary mix

4 Likes

I loosely based the dish in this:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2239/ultimate-fish-cakes

I used this recipe, the result was fine with fresh cod. I made the jazzed up version mayo, husband hated mayo loved it.

5 Likes