My fishcakes lack punch.

I am a huge fan of old bay. It is not for everyone but if you like it, the spice works for you.

I like it in crab and fish cakes, crab meat, chicken wings, and corn. Some corn mixed with butter and old bay is a nice treat.

Don’t forget lobster Johnny. Old bay goes great with lobster and melted butter.

When I make fish cakes/paste, I like it with green onions or cilantro. Adds a freshness to it. Granted, mine are based more on Chinese style, so it’s usually not as heavy on starches. Maybe parsley might also be a good herb?

I was going through old food mags before throwing them out and saw this. The recipe is online, the mag has more details of her research.

(right click on images, “view image”, zoom in or out until texts are legible)

Their collection of more fish cakes and such

Inspired by this thread, I made fish cakes for the first time. But, forewarned by this thread, I ignored all of the fish cake recipes. I based mine loosely on swedish fish balls - chopped rockfish, breadcrumbs, egg, old bay. I did not poach the fish, but just mixed it raw with the other ingredients and let the breadcrumbs bind everything together. Saute in patty shapes for about 3-4 minutes per side, and I was happy with the results.

My wife called the mayonnaise / mustard / tarragon sauce I made “zippy”.

4 Likes

Today I had a sudden urge to make fish cakes. At first I thought it was an idea that just popped into my head, but, of course, it came from seeing it all the time on the Hungry Onion initial page. So I went through this topic and settled on your recipe, more or less. They were terrific.

Sounds really good. So, no potato? Was the egg raw, or hard boiled and chopped, please? And would bought breadcrumbs be okay, do you think? Thanks.

No potato. I don’t really know what fishcakes are supposed to be like! Raw egg, to bind it. I’m sure bought breadcrumbs would be fine. I used stale baguette and pounded it in the mortar.

1 Like

Sounds like a good fish cake recipe. Not your research standard but there are many variations

I took a look at the top recipe you linked here: “Ultimate fish cakes.” I should think those cakes will be incredibly mono-dimensional without the accessory sauce, even if properly salted and peppered. I’m frankly surprised that they don’t suggest incorporating herbs and spices into the cake mixture. Myself, I’d suggest using mild pepper spice and/or flakes, like a medium-hot Spanish paprika, and some finely minced parsley and sage could work. And with potatoes involved: salt! I hope you keep exploring!

1 Like

I have tried that recipe, by adding an additional pinch of Old Bay and quite some herbs, it was fine. I did salt the potatoes, I always did! (Did the recipe not mentioned that?!). I think automatically adjusted a recipe without even thinking much…

1 Like

You’re right, naf. Steps 7 and 8 in the recipe I saw do mention seasoning the cakes:

Still seems insufficient to me, but it’s there. Maybe it’s like meatballs or meatloaf, in that I usually make a “test” ball for final seasoning.

Old bay makes a lot of things better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your continued input folks. One of the things which stirred me to post in the first place was my inability to match the taste of the excellent store-bought FCs referred to near the start of the thread. As a reminder, here are the ingredients of those:

Cod (Fish) (45%), Potato, Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Rapeseed Oil, Dried Potato, Wheat Starch, Durum Wheat Semolina, Parsley, Lemon Juice, Onion, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Yeast, Sunflower Oil, Black Pepper, Colour (Paprika Extract)

Nothing stands out as the magic ingredient giving their great flavour. I probably use more than their 45% fish.

You mean this?
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299598600

They use a lot of carbs: potato, dried potatoes, wheat flour, wheat starch, durum wheat semolina, wheat gluten. Yeast?? Is it the crust you are looking forward?

That’s them. The crust is fine, but nothing special. It’s the overall flavour I’m seeking.

Looks like normal ingredients they are using, are you sure there is no additives?! :wink:

I have to say, big corps use special labs that can afford to spend weeks or months working on a recipe that will become a big hit.

Buy the cakes again, examine them carefully, before and after cooking. Maybe you can find the secret.

The crust keeps all the moisture of the fish.