Mustard for Hot Dogs?

:slight_smile: I love beer and onion brats. Mit kraut. SS or Lakeside horsey mustard for me. I just can’t find Lakeside in any stores by me (La Crosse area). I always say I’m gonna stop there next time I’m in Mwaukee, but run out of time. The corn beef seasoning works, too. Usinger if I’m going big building. Their outlet store is the greatest. Still some locals left in Mwauee, I’m sure, that make the deal. Where I now live I can find them, but pay premium. My local butchers are just the best; but brats are their soft spot; decent, but something missing.

Klements are too greasy. Lived right by the plant for 5 years.

2 Likes

Did the mascots train there?

Sorta like Baribou and the circus :circus_tent:
:wink:

1 Like

Baraboo. The circus museum? I see this video void el chorizo. Get with the times! Boo town is chill. If you take hwy 12 the bridges have those circus scenes on the sides. I drive past there a lot getting my boy otta Madison.

1 Like

I’m with you.

For hotdogs (as opposed to other kinds of sausages), I’ve come to like Trader Joe’s dill pickle mustard. This for the simple reason that for me, the texture, sweetness and volume of real relish is a distraction–the flavor is there with the TJ’s, without being too much.

Ex’s best friend still lives in Onalaska. Ex sis in law lives in Baraboo. Spent a lot of happy times both places.

1 Like

The mere mention of brats wakes me up. HEB store brand, boiled in beer and onions, grilled with pecan chips for smoke, nestled in a lightly toasted Martin’s roll and topped with either sauerkraut and Mr. Mustard Hot or, my favorite, a curry ketchup made of ketchup, Mr. Mustard, and curry powder.

2 Likes

Good place to live. I’m north of Sparta, but work in Cashton, displaced from Mwaukee’s beautiful soutside. Got a little brat spoiled growing up there.

I might just try the old man’s curry ketchup sometime. Sounds good. Mr. Mustard hot is great stuff.

1 Like

Year to you too! I usually like to top my hot dogs with a classic yellow mustard or a deli-style mustard with a bit of spice. I’ve recently been using Ezekiel’s Mustard which is an all-natural, organic brand that has plenty of flavor without any added preservatives. It complements the hot dog perfectly!

“…define ‘hot dog’ - they are not all the same.”

Well, a hot dog is a kind of sandwich…

:laughing:

2 Likes

Only if the bun splits . Top is one ,the bottom is separate… Then it truly is a tube steak sandwich .

1 Like

Now you’ve done it!

1 Like

Correct! And I like to do the same with my hot dogs!

1 Like

Not necessarily for hot dogs but I really like Plochman’s Stone Ground. It is somewhat hard to find but if you go to their website at plochman.com they have a store locator.

Add images here

3 Likes

It’s apparently on a Camden Yards menu:

What do you pay for the 20.5 oz. item pictured? I’m going to look for it. Thanks!

I saw some offerings in that article that looked pretty good; other things I swear must violate provisions of the Geneva Conventions. At least.

There are always Utz crab chips …

I pay too much. Many years ago I was paying about $4.50 for the 20.5 0unce jar of Stone Ground. At that time it was fairly widely available. In about 2010 the company a Swiss company, HACO, bought the Plochman company. It is no longer widely available in California where I live I believe because the price has rapidly escalated. I most recently paid around $8 at a Raley’s market. To be honest it is not the only mustard I use in large part because of the new price. I probably use more Grey Poupon.

1 Like

We’ve stuck to dog and beer, maybe nachos, all these years at the game, though we get it that Sportserve, Levy, Aramark are in the carnival catering trade.

1 Like

So all this talk about mustard is making me crave some!
Tonight will be mustard chicken something
Homemade mustard, contains some madam jeanette chili for an extra bite

3 Likes

With all this mustard discussion, I’m surprised nobody has said they make their own. I do, but I’m still learning how. I haven’t bought mustard in a few years, but I don’t use it all that often, either, so a batch (about a pint) lasts me quite a while. I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I wonder if there’s any HO wisdom for homemade mustard…?