Mustard for Hot Dogs?

What mustard do you prefer to top your hot dog with? I realize there are a lot of regional varieties but I’m sure most are available online. I like Nathan’s Deli Mustard but it hasn’t been on the shelf at my supermarket lately. I bought online Bauer’s mustard with horseradish and I thought it was pretty good. I don’t like Dijon or grainy Dijon on hot dogs although I do cook with them both. Thanks and Happy New Year!

2 Likes

I’m pretty eclectic in my mustard choices, but I do like horseradish mustards. A great mustard resource (and a place I hope to visit some day) is the Mustard Museum. They have an entertaining website and an extensive online store.

2 Likes

I go with Gulden’s Spicy Brown, if I have choice.

3 Likes

French’s yellow. Hot dogs aren’t fancy. Hold the nasty day-glo relish, tho.

3 Likes

Agree with French’s, but I like relish and onion on my dog… but the only one I will buy is Del Monte Sweet as everything else tastes fake.

But even better… Tony Packo’s B&B pickles (but ya gotta chop 'em).

2 Likes

https://bertmanballparkmustard.com/

Cleveland!
This is really good stuff but I don’t see it out west.
We used to have it in KC at the stadiums.

3 Likes

Here are two more:

https://bertmanballparkmustard.com/

2 Likes

I prefer English mustard with sausages and ham sandwiches and Dijon for most cooking purposes. Neither seem right for the very rare occasions I eat an American hotdog which, to me, calls for French’s. But I have no general need for that in the cupboard so use Dijon. It’s OK. That said, I cannot recall when I last ate a hotdog in the UK - must be at least a couple of years. Grilled bratwurst at the Christmas market last year is the closest I’ve come.

2 Likes

Silver Spring Horseradish Beer-n-Brat mustard and Mister Mustard Hot are my two faves for dogs. I also love loose chinese hot mustard on a dog, and even as a BBQ sauce. I like Penzey’s for that stuff.

2 Likes

I like French’s yellow mustard, chopped onions and sweet pickle relish. I prefer a spicy brown mustard, like Gulden’s, if I have sauerkraut on my dog.

1 Like

I’m going to have to get some: https://store.mustardmuseum.com/product/1664/horseradish-mustards

1 Like

Lakeside makes a good one, too. Lakeside’s hot honey mustard is amazing, too. I grew up on their products. They provide the pickled products to most bars in Milwaukee. Lotta bars. I’d say lakeside is the purest, but still chug SS Beer-n-Brat mustard.

I like the sweet ones for pretzels, but not on a dog.

Yellows weren’t so popular where I grew up. My uncle always called it “baby shit mustard.”

Last few years I’ve been making lots of pepper sauces which I like better than anything ona NC dog.

Stopped at my butcher yesterday and the hot dogs just came out of the oven, and he gave me one. I think we got it all wrong with the bun and condiments. Damn, that was sublime. Just like cookies, best fresh out of the oven. Nothing needed but teeth. Snap!

5 Likes

Does anyone know if the New York City pushcarts use one particular brand of mustard? My grocery store now sells Sabrett mustard in the refrigerated case which I suspect is just a marketing ploy, why would a mustard need to be refrigerated, especially unopened?

French’s mustard or honey mustard.

Hot dogs and the occasional sausage are the only foods to which I add mustard.

Hot dogs is one of the very few foods that i will avoid at nearly any cost. If I eat one its because Im so hungry I’ll eat anything.

Im therefore not picky about toppings. If it keeps me from tasting the hot dog its fair game.

Emeril’s NY deli style mustard and Wickles original relish or a little of their hot relish.
But the dogs gotta be good, that is important!

4 Likes

My hot dogs are fancy. Served on a baguette, a combo of Maille dejon and whole grain, onion, sweet relish.

1 Like

Deli mustard for my deli hot dog.

2 Likes

Kosciosko is my standard for most things mustard. I could eat it straight.

3 Likes

Define deli mustard.