Mustard for Hot Dogs?

My chef pal and I made crab cakes (bite size) when we catered my mom and dad’s anniversary.

The folks from Annapolis and Baltimore staked out a spot in front of the chafing pan (they were that good)

3 Likes

Both the Rolls and the Wurst were griddled with Butter if I remember right.

2 Likes

I know some people do put mustard (dry or prepared) in their crab cakes. Then there is the crab cake’s first cousin ,Crab Imperial. My mom even had the obligatory crab-shaped glass ramekins. I have them now, but I’ve never had the occasion to make Crab Imperial. Perhaps one day when we are really post-pandemic, I can have guests in and make the dish.

From eBay:

4 Likes

At my Folks House on Weems Creek we use a combo of Wye River Black and JO#2 but on Crabs not in Crab Cakes.

2 Likes

That regrettable crab cake decision was made at Memorial Stadium. We’ve also been to a game at Camden Yards, walked past the Booger’s stand without ordering.

1 Like

Yes , there’s a JO #1 for seafood rather than for steaming crabs.

I cannot imagine a Memorial Stadium crab cake …

…Define deli mustard…

#1, define “hot dog” - they are not all the same

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Yes that is true. The Crab Cakes our Family makes doesn’t have any of the MD style seasoning blends in it. Hints of that flavor do make it in when picking your own Crabmeat but we never add it.

Oh, great, now i gotta get a 6th mustard! :laughing:

More seriously, I just got some black mustard seed from an Indian store and supposedly it makes some super spicy mustard. Going to make some this week.

1 Like

I’m apostate when it comes to mustard on dogs. I prefer mine with ketchup, mayo and mustard. A drag through the garden makes it even better. Banish me to the wilderness now.

4 Likes

The recipe I use for “Maryland” crab cakes has mustard and Old Bay.

1 Like

You’re banished! Off to the wilderness you go!!

It’s ok. I’ve been out here for a while. The food’s good out here, too!

2 Likes

My big decision when making crab cakes is to use bell peppers or not. Sometimes I do sometimes I don’t.
I generally use claw meat instead of lump because it’s half the price and has more flavor. Like a chicken thigh versus breast.

3 Likes

Agreed. Brat demand good mustard. I like homemade sauerkraut on mine, as well. Still the NC dogs I buy I feel deserving of a better mustard than the yellow (IMHO). I know many love the yellow turmeric based mustard, but I prefer another. I do use packets of the yellow in wrestling. Best anti-cramper I know of.

For hotdogs I like simple mustards too. Spicy brown is nice, but more often or not I like the French’s yellow mustard (or whatever brand for a plain vinegary mustard). But I am a big fan of the day glo relish on hot dogs - the only time I eat the stuff. Just pickles and no fancy peppers or other stuff and no fake sweeteners. The sweetness balances out the mustard and the saltiness of the hotdog.

Brats are a whole nuther thing. I was told flat out that my brats were worthy of a true Sconnie. Braised in beer and onions with a handful of Penzeys corned beef seasoning, then tossed on the grill just to sear. Served with a choice of spicy brown or whole grain mustard, with grilled onions.

(Johnsonville, please. Klements are too greasy imo)

Johnsonville always tastes metallic to my palate.

1 Like