Misen vs Mercer knives

Which knife do you prefer to use Misen or Mercer?

Do you have a favourite such as Chef or bread knife?

3 Likes

Hi Olunia,

Misen is a Chinese knife with American marketing (and marketing cost). The knife is quite good, but if you buy directly from China (AliExpress), you get a similar knife at a much lower cost.

Mercer knives are intended for, and marketed to a commercial market–not the home cook–and are intended to be very cost effective. Why do you want a food industry knife?

As a home cook, I’d be considering other knives.

Ray

1 Like

Hi Ray,

I saw a good deal at 70 % off Mercer Chef knife and many people here have been expressing how much they enjoy Misen.
What other knife would you recommend Ray?

Olunia

1 Like

I know you didn’t ask me, but allow me to chime in. I really like the Misen I have, it holds its sharp edge longer than the Zwilling chef’s knife I have at home. BUT I recently splurged (it was $149) on a Global & love it. Razorsharp and love how it handles. It’s the one knife I brought to Berlin for 3 months :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with either of the two knives you mention (but do recall Helen Rennie being stoked about the original Misen, but not the current one).

But to me, a knife’s handling and fit is at least as important as it’s construction… and as everyone’s hands are different I would very much recommend you actually handle the knives before making any decisions.

Just my 2¢.

2 Likes

Lingua,

Everyone is welcomed and I’m glad that you decided to chime in thank you for your input.

Olunia

3 Likes

Never heard of both, I looked up Misen knives. Look like standard knives to me.

Unlike some people, I don’t have wet dreams about knives, this is all I have, they do the job and I get on with them.

3 knives and 2 whetstones I got in Busan, Korea.

When I go back to Korea I’ll bring 2 to be sharpened. Market stall where I bought the 2 knives.

My bread knife is an Opinel

PS: ditch the “like” system!

6 Likes

Mercer knives are made in Taiwan. They call themselves a commercial brand, and they do sell to commercial cooks and kitchens, but their actual product line tells another story. They have an array of different looks that will appeal to home users. Their sets come in rolls, in knife blocks, and on magnetic boards, with selections likely to appeal to home cooks. I remember when they hit the scene they were widely used in cooking schools.

4 Likes

That’s a nice collection. I don’t have super-fancy knives either (well, save for the Global which richer and snobbier folks might not consider fancy at all). Whatever gets the job done, I say.

I really need to learn how to use my stone at home properly. I have a guy I can take my knives to on a regular basis, but would prefer to do it myself. Without fucking them up by not using the proper angle, etc.

1 Like

HahaHo, are the people who gave you a like agreeing or disagreeing with this sentiment?

4 Likes

Just being a snot and kibbutzing.

2 Likes

Mercer’s various lines run from HRC of 54 or so up to 62. They offer a 62 HRC 8" chef’s knife for $60. It looks very home cook friendly and has an attractive blade and handle.

4 Likes

Mercer has a wider selection. I agree with Vecchiouomo. Mercer is certainly home cook friendly. Their MX3 has a VG-10 core with a HRC 61. Zum, Genesis and Renaissance knives are very similar. These are made of X50CrMov15 hardened to HRC 56. (Think Wusthof steel)

Brand-Selection-Guide.pdf (mercerculinary.com)

MIzen knife is based on AUS-10. Harden to HRC 58.

Steel grade and steel hardness do not explain everything. However, they are important too.

4 Likes

I should add that the current Mercer Genesis no longer has full bolster as in the pdf, but rather a partial/half bolster.

2 Likes

I have read that the Misen is a stamping. Are the Mercers forged?

1 Like

Getting a little geeky. Just a image shot for VG-10 vs AUS-10 from zknives. Just fun to look at. Don’t make your decision based on it.

2 Likes

Mercer has a few lines. Some are forged, like ZuM or Renaissance or Genesis. On the other hand, these days there are many great knives made by stamp. Case in point, Mercer most expensive and arguably their best line is the MX3 line with the VG-10 steel. This expensive line is stamped (I believe).

1 Like

Is this the EdgePro or a the cheaper alternative/knock-off?

1 Like

It is a Chinese knock off… and I can see no difference between it and the EdgePro Apex (which IMHO is incredibly overpriced - and probably made by the same Chinese entity I bought it from).

1 Like

I think Mercers are excellent. They’re cheap, sharp, and hold an edge just fine. You can either sharpen them or toss and replace. I do the latter. I grab the Mercer when there’s a job that might damage the edge a more expensive knife. It’s a fine home kitchen knife.

I buy the Mercers here: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/

I have one small Misen and rarely use it, but it’s just fine too.

I use Global the majority of the time.

3 Likes