Knife talk

Of course you’re not interested in it. Gearheads and equipment hounds are rarely interested in seeing sound technique demonstrated using average equipment. It’s like the video of Eric Ripert doing fish in a $20 Vollrath nonstick skillet. That didn’t go over well either.

It’s not up to me to hand you a diagnosis. You figure it out.

I’ve said it before, a very few people will rejoice when they see a video like the one I posted. Most will react like you. I’m posting for the former.

3 Likes

Hi Chem,

Accusing anyone of making false claims is a last step. First, one needs to be sure one understands what another says in context.

Considering that he is a former sushi chef with the highest standards, publishing openly, frequently clarifying and updating, correcting when necessary, he is presenting at the highest level.

Your assertion after a token visit to a site with a huge number of videos on most everything related to kitchen knives is very premature–and very inconsistent with comments from quality participants who’ve posted.

Your post and my response are off topic. I only responded because of your semi respectful comments about Ryky–someone without credentials vs. disrespectful comments about Chef Panko–who knows much more about kitchen knives than you or me.

Hi JustCharlie,

If you wanted to illustrate correct kitchen knife technique by a pro, Marco’s video is not a good example. Chef Panko does a better job, considering both the professional and the home cook:

As I have said in another post. I judged based on people of their actions and knowledge. I haven’t seen a lot of false statements from Burrfection (spelling). There may be, and you can point out if you like. Maybe he makes a lot of false claims too. All I am saying is that I have not seen a lot.
However, I do know for a fact Chef Panko made false claims. It is a fact.

Here, he made a video, and he kept calling it a vegetable knife (菜刀). It isn’t. It is a slicer (桑刀). This is like calling a paring knife as an utility knife. It is fine for an average person, but he is giving an extensive review and putting himself out as an expert.

The character is even clearly stamped on the knife blade in his video
and in other product photo

So tell me, how is this not a false statement? A person posts an entire video about an utility knife, but it is really a paring knife.

Right… pointing out his factual false statement is disrespectful. Not sure about his kitchen knives knowledge compared to you, but he certainly not enough to know the difference between a Chinese slicer knife vs a Chinese vegetable knife. Thanks for your insight.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, we’ve got 6 flags for the thread. Moderators will need some time to examine the issues. For the time being, the thread will be locked. Thank you for your understanding.

2 Likes

Thread is once again unlocked. Most of the posts are off topics, starting from whether one should test the knives before purchase, knives sharpening technique, amazing cutting skill of Chef Macro Pierre White, , Chef Panko, beater knife etc. I’ve moved the orignal misen vs mercer knives to here and leave all the discussion on various aspect of knives in this thread.

1 Like

I finally watched the piperade video. Yes, it was fast and fastidious but very much something I’d wager most of us would enjoy making using the current batch of knives, pans, and other tools in our kitchens. I find it very relatable to a home cook, even if they have to go more slowly. Of course it needs to be something they’d like.

2 Likes

I understood the “why” of each step. That is immeasurably helpful knowledge for me that I can use in preparing a lot of stuff. I love the “whys”. That’s what helps me as a home cook.

2 Likes

Almost everyone who have replied have confirmed the Macro video is useful for them. I feel this has supported the claim that the video usefulness for most home cooks.

2 Likes

There’s more in that video to absorb, too -preserving texture, “too wet” and what that means for a dish, the function of brunoised vegetables, intensifying flavors - all of these “whys” are just as important to me as how fast I can chop. (note: not fast. But I’m ok with that; I’m not cooking as a business with time pressure).

2 Likes

Thank you.

IMO, this reorganization is very helpful.

Chem,

Chef Panko did a whole series of videos in which he clarified the whole range of Chinese cleavers, from the thinnest vegetable slicer to the bone chopper–and the gradations in between. He is a native speaker of Dutch, so translating specific terms may not agree with you, but that’s far from a false statement.

Most importantly, he reviewed them from the perspectives of both home and professional user–and he bought them with his own money.

He’s investigated the availability of CCK knives in the Netherlands at Chinese markets and talked with wholesalers. Then he went to Hong Kong to see them at the home site in Asia–bringing some inexpensive local ones back.

He’s sent me an elaborate breakdown of the three main categories of cleavers when I asked him about the risk of damage from small bones for my Shibazi F208-2.

You’ve clearly not reviewed the site carefully

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I’ve learned a great deal from your comments.

It is. Mixing up two knives is a false statement. If this is a video about roasting chicken, and in one passage, the narrative mixed up the knife, then it is no big deal. However, this is a full blow video about this knife and this knife alone. Properly stating what kind of knife it is important.

I love that you make it about me instead. It isn’t about agreeing with me. It is about agreeing with facts. Factually, it is not the knife he is talking about. The type of knife is even laser etched on his knife blade. Has it occurred to you that his specific term do not agree with the knife itself? :rofl:

It does not matter. I have nothing for or against him. I am not in the mood to “investigate” or “review”. his entire site. I am simply stating that he has made false statements. I have zero against the guy, so I rather not do the “line-by-line” dissection to find all the mistakes he has made.

4 Likes

There is so much to unload… I will need to go home to reply to this one.

1 Like

Chem,

It’s not about you or me, right or wrong, for or against. It’s general discussions about kitchen knives–and Chef Panko has made a major contribution by reviewing a whole slew of Chinese cleavers with a consistent methodology for both professionals and home cooks.

I’m surprised you’re not devouring the findings and comparing them with your own.

I have compared Chef Panko videos on Youtube with Marco.'s. I find Marco far more usefully instructive and find his knife skills overwhelmingly better. Best of all, if you lack Marco’s knife skills you can still do the same thing more slowly and deliberately and get identical results. Given the perfection of both his dice and his brunoise, what home cook would not be thrilled to know how to do it?

3 Likes

Are you changing topic again? You literally asked me earlier what proof I have that Chef Panko has made false statements. I gave you the proof. Now, you change the narrative of “Chef Panko has made contribution to our society…”

I am surprised that when I do exactly what you asked (give you the proof you asked for), then you are suddenly surprised. I am more than happy to drop this Chef Panko thing, but you should stop keep bringing it up too. I promise you. If you stop bringing up Chef Panko, no one here will suddenly bring him up.

I sure hope it is about being factually right or wrong. You did make it about me. You literally wrote “specific terms may not agree with you”. You didn’t say “specific terms may not be correct”. You made it that Chef Panko term (in your mind) is still correct, but it just didn’t agree with me.

3 Likes

I can give you an answer on this one. Do you really want to know? It states with a “R”

2 Likes

I know one thing for sure, and that is there will probably never be a time in my life again that I reach for panko bread crumbs and don’t think about this thread and the glorification of Chef Panko! :rofl:

3 Likes