Memory foods that are not in fashion

There is a Swiss restaurant in Soho in London that we have visited , which has several different cheese fondues from different regions.
One variation includes a little tomato. I thought it had closed- I will visit if it’s open next time I visit the UK!
http://www.stmoritz-restaurant.co.uk/stmoritz.htm

2 Likes

I looked at a map, and it looks like there are Melting Pots in Detroit, Buffalo and Erie, too. I’ve never been to one. (Denise, I am paying attention to your post)

I miss The Magic Pan. Good places for savoury crêpes are hard to find in Ontario these days.

4 Likes

Meant to say it was probably 20 years ago. I remember everything being very good, but just tidbits of the really tasty stuff like lobster and filet. Left me wanting more and not quite satisfied, but we certainly did get enough to eat by time our meal concluded. It was fairly $$$ pricey too. Oh, just checked and the MP closest to us is still open, kind of surprising due to the pandemic.

Sorry your meal was not good though…

1 Like

Re: Melting Pot
Oops, not Erie, I should have said Cleveland!

1 Like

Two foods I miss from my grandma: Giambotta (“jum-bawt” :laughing: ) and something she called “Beans with Bread”.

The latter I had not eaten since early childhood. I assume it was white beans sautéed with garlic, onion, and herbs and then cubed bread was added. It was a soggy but filling and flavorful. Italian-American immigrant “peasant food” at its finest. She was one of 13 children!

As for Giambotta, hers was much different. I associate the dish with sautéed chicken, sausage, hot peppers, and crispy potatoes but grandma’s was more of a vegetable stew (squash, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and loads of garlic of course!) with no meat at all but bread for dipping and dredging. Again, probably from her upbringing. This was one of the last meals she cooked for me. Though we could not eat the meal together because of Covid, she made a pot for me. She passed away shortly after. Went strong until the very end at 91.

My grandma made more that I do not remember. Of course she loved liver and cold cuts too, but now liver is making a comeback (with other offal) so I would not consider that memory food.

12 Likes

I love to tear up chunks of buttered bread into my bowl of butter beans. Now I’m craving.

2 Likes

You’ve reminded us of college days when a “grown-up” (recent graduate with a job) who befriended us always entertained by serving fondue bourgignonne. Very welcome invitation. One of us had a taste for barely cooked beef, so the challenge for one “gastronome” student was not to wipe out the plate of steak cubes thus drawing the wrath of others at the table.

4 Likes

As it happens, I told mom about this thread and lo and behold:

I can’t wait to make this to honor grandma’s memory.

17 Likes

“until it blows up”? Sounds delicious but a little scary!

9 Likes
3 Likes

Wonderful, let us know the results. I may try it with a can of butter beans.
I flipped it for you.

7 Likes

My mom was also one of thirteen but that included her oldest sister’s child.

3 Likes

Turkey A La King Casserole
The grocery store had $7 frozen turkeys, leftover Thanksgiving stock, so I bought and roasted one for sandwiches (I’m not a big fan of hot turkey but love turkey sandwiches). But you can only eat so many turkey sandwiches, so Turkey A La King Casserole with the rest of the meat. I doctored it up with some dill and plenty of Tabasco, smoked paprika, panko bread crumbs and Parmesan on top. Super comfort food.

16 Likes

Any recipe with stale bread and cooking till it blows up . I’m completely in . Thank you for the recipe. Cheers :wine_glass:

5 Likes

I was happy to see chocolate mousse is still a menu staple in Geneva, in the traditional restaurants in the old town, when I visited in 2016. I expect it will stay that way.

Sloppy Joe’s are still fairly common in some parts of Canada, would think it’s the same in parts of the States.

I custom ordered a Black Forest Cake for my birthday last year. Café Sabarsky inside the Neue Galerie used to have an upscale version on their menu. If it’s still there next time I visit Manhattan (maybe 2023? 2024?), I’m stopping by. I like sitting by the window, and looking across to Central Park.

Not sure who pays $95 USD for a whole Black Forest Cake! I paid closer to ~$40 USD for my cake! https://www.neuegalerie.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/Whole%20Cake%20prices%2012-10-21.pdf

Looks like old school steakhouses in NYC keep the chocolate mousse on the menu!

What I’ve seen even less of lately, is salmon mousse. It used to be next to the pâtés at the grocery store 20 years ago. Haven’t had any in years!

4 Likes

Back in the 70’s, the UK had a large national chain of steak restaurants - Berni Inns - located in pubs. It was where people like me went for special occasions (back then we only went to restaurants for special occasions). The classic three-courser was prawn cocktail, fillet steak, Black Forest Gateau.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I still order shrimp cocktail when I see it offered. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

We used to have onion juice in a bottle, much like liquid smoke.
I didn’t know chicken aka king had gone away though I associate it with school lunches more than restaurant fare.

4 Likes

I think chicken/turkey tetrazzini is of the chicken a la King era too - not something I grew up with, but actually made some after T-Day this year, so tried it for the 1st time. It was just ok to me, it may have been better had it brought back nostalgic memories. Good way to use leftover turkey though. Does anyone else like or make it?

5 Likes