Memory foods that are not in fashion

I make the Chicken Tetrazzini recipe from the old Craig Claiborne New York Times cookbook. It never fails. You start with a whole chicken…it’s not a recipe to use up leftovers. The toasted almonds on top are “optional” but actually, they’re not!

4 Likes

My 93 year old mother loves Stouffer’s Turkey Tetrazzini. It’s in the freezer department if you’re feeling inclined. It may or may not be named for the Italian opera star, Luisa Tetrazzini.

7 Likes

Thanks for this information @retrospek & I even have that cookbook, bought just a few years ago while thrifting. I’ll give it a try & be sure to use the almonds.

1 Like

I may in fact give it a try - my parents turned me on to a frozen casserole by Stouffers a few years ago that was excellent - so good I replicated it at home with success. Thanks!

2 Likes

My MIL and her church friends still make that as a special dish on holidays. You’re right, it’s dessert, and gross besides. Something about the combination of Cool-Whip and crushed pineapple just gives me the all-overs

5 Likes

That sounds like heaven to me.

6 Likes

Love that expression - I’m definitely going to use it!

2 Likes

I didn’t like ambrosia whip-type salads as a kid. They were part of the salad bar at a restaurant we used to visit.

I admit, I like the sour cream -type ambrosia that doesn’t contain cool whip, which I’ve been making recently.

4 Likes

I’m on the cusp of 70. We never had Cool Whip when I was a kid (and I never have it as an adult, either). Our ambrosia was always made with sour cream and I still love it.

4 Likes

On the other hand, the Peach Melba was definitely created, in London, for the Australian soprano Nellie Melba, in the 1890s.

You would still come across it in my adulthood, although I’ve not seen it for many a year on a restaurant menu. I reckon it’s time for a revival

8 Likes

Here’s something that just popped into my mind: you know what you can never find on any menu anywhere? Steak au Poivre! I’ve been to one restaurant in five years that had it on the menu. What’s not to like? Peppercorn crusted steak with a brandy cream sauce???

I guess it’s just one of those Old Timey menu items that’s just not in fashion. My fellow NJ peeps may remember the old Buttonwood Manor in Matawan (before it became MJ’s, its current iteration) which switched over from old fashioned to fashionable probably 15 years ago. I remember dining there with my parents, both in their late 50s and/or early 60’s at this point and saying, “Aside from me, you two are the youngest people in here!” :joy: A white haired crowd!

The menu had au Poivre (delicious), Steak Diane, and Cherries Jubilee (which came flaming if I remember correctly) and the Tuxedoed maitre’d made the Caesar Salad table-side. A place for special occasions and the type of fine dining that is decidedly not my scene.

8 Likes

One of our regular bistro type places has it on the menu periodically, including our visit in December. It always stands out a bit as the rest of the menu is pretty much on the ball for modernity.

4 Likes

Thanks to this thread, I’m about to lose my fondue virginity.

We’ve decided that the current Covid situation in the UK makes our weekly restaurant night too risky for a while. So, we’re back to having a home delivery night instead. It’s mediocre - but it is a change. And,as a further change and, hopefully, to up the quality, we’ve been looking at getting a restaurant menu box. They’ve been quite popular here during the lockdowns - usually three course meals that just need a bit of finishing off and warming up by the customer.

Mrs H was Googling to update our list of places, locally & nationally, that are doing them. And she offers me a shortlist. One of which was from Cote - a national chain of French inspired restaurants. And they are currently offering an “apres ski” box. So, based on our chat here, I put in a strong vote that this should be our first one.

Next Wednesday, we’ll be dining on:

Fondue (Comte and Morbier), with baguette, salami, cornichons, new potatoes

Pork navarin, accompanied by tartiflette

Chocolate sauce, with meringues for dipping.

17 Likes

That sounds both fun and delicious!

4 Likes

I’d love to hear how it is. Sounds great!

2 Likes

I had it in a Bistro in Carmel last year!

4 Likes

This sounds like a wonderful dinner, John - can’t wait to hear about it!

4 Likes
5 Likes

Table-side cooking is apparently coming back in San Francisco…
https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/restaurants/article/2022-will-be-the-year-of-splashy-tableside-dining-16749682.php

4 Likes

I’ve only had Coquilles St Jacque once, back in the '70s, but I have total recall of the smell and taste, which were both heavenly

3 Likes