Memory foods that are not in fashion

I’m not doubting you, more interested that even so called authoritative sources are wrong, and decisively so at that.
:slight_smile:

Not that I’ve ever come across.

Other than “proper” steaks, you really only going to come across “braised steak”, cooked something like this recipe. It appears regularly at Casa Harters

2 Likes

My sour cream-based ambrosia

7 Likes

Ambrosia never went away from our local supermarkets–I’ve gotten it from the deli counters at Safeway and Lunardi’s. Still has the maraschino cherries (which I’ve always loved) and mini-marshmallows.

Does anyone make fondue at home these days, or do we all now go to those specialty fondue restaurants when we want a craving? My parents were trying to unload a fondue set on me and my sister, and we both took a pass. (But I did grab the electric crepe maker.)

2 Likes

It seems to me that fondue made a brief-ish mini comeback about 10-15 years ago. I think the chain of Melting Pot restaurants are still around, but I’m not sure. They may have been replaced by the Argentinian steakhouses for all I know.

Probably a wise pass on the fondue pot, but then again it would be good for queso dip possibly, or other things to keep warm. Good score on the crepe pan though!

3 Likes

Now you can make Magic Pan-type crepes - lucky!

http://www.doreenskitchen.com/files/MagicPanRecipeIndexBox.pdf

3 Likes

My friend makes cheese fondue from scratch on NYE most years. I usually go out for fondue when I visit the Alps or a ski town.

I still like it, and I have a couple fondue pots, but I haven’t made it at home in ages. I used to have chocolate fondue at most Xmas parties I hosted , about 20 years ago.

2 Likes

I have a fondue pot! I think I’ve used in the last five years. I use the forks quite a bit, like for getting olives out of jars.

2 Likes

Yes, was going to mention Bagna Cauda in the FP! Haven’t made it for some while, though…

1 Like

Chicken Divan

6 Likes

That’s a good one! Probably on every party list in the 70’s! But - good though…

1 Like

Cherries Jubilee & Crêpes Suzette

1 Like

Coquilles St Jacques, Lobster’s Thermidor and Newburg, Baked Alaska, Steak Diane, (which is really delicious!) I could go on. Many of these weren’t even on menus anymore when I was coming of age food wise and could begin to afford them, but they were still getting traction in home kitchens and were talked about; I’d be happy to eat any of them in a hot minute! Oh, not to forget Beef Wellington, which was actually the centerpiece of a pandemic Xmas dinner for 2 of us last year. (So good)

Now that I’m thinking of it, may make some of these into goals for 2022…

7 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve ever had fondue. Certainly never made it, nor can I think of any local restaurants that have ever served it.

Harters, you have more options than I do! :slightly_smiling_face: (although none of the options look like traditional cheese fondue- the couple options try to jazz up the cheese fondue) https://www.designmynight.com/manchester/blog/5-of-the-best-fondue-restaurants-in-manchester

The main places I can find fondue are in ski towns such as Banff. If you visit Banff in the future, Ticino is my favourite spot in town for Fondue. Grizzly House also serves it, but the space is 1970s kitsch with telephones to call other tables, and the vibe is gimmicky. Chateau Lake Louise , an hour from Banff, has a fondue restaurant as well.

There was a cheese fondue restaurant in Toronto for at least 30 years, but it closed 15 to 20 years ago.

It’s possible to buy imported pouches of cheese fondue at the grocery store, but I haven’t done that in a long time.

Since we are taking about fondue, I’ll mention raclette.

Re fondue. In some countries and households it has never “left”. Stupid easy to make and the pleasure of eating it is enormous.

I eat it often enough. My fondue pot is small so I make twice the amount and top it up when needed.

Still thinking about the fondue my friend made for us when we visited him in Switzerland. They have fantastic bread there.

13 Likes

Well, I never!

Not least as one of those five places is somewhere we go fairly regularly . Bombay to Mumbai is a Mumbai street food restaurant. We only went a couple of times last year (May & October) and fondue definitely wasnt on the menu then. Must be a new introduction. I’d certainly give it a try - the article says it’s based on pav bhaji which is excellent there. If it’s still on next time we go, I’ll tell Sandeep that the suggestion for me to try had come all the way from Canada. He’ll like that.

Before Covid intervened, we had planned to be in Banff for a few days and recall mention of fondue on a menu. Must have been Grizzly House.

Now, raclette is a different matter. Always a feature of one of the stalls at Manchester’s Xmas Market in previous years, although not this year.

3 Likes

They are. There’s one in Burlington, MA I pass every time I leave my Wegmans.

1 Like

Good to know - we had dinner at one of their Seattle locations with another couple. Everything was delicious, and it turned out to be a fun evening, but we’ve never felt the need to go back. I do think they’ve become popular for teenagers going to prom and other dances (back when those happened.) Easy enough to do at home, pot or not.

3 Likes

Glad you had a good experience. The one time we visited a Melting Pot, at a location then in Boston, it was because a friend who needed cheering up really wanted to go. Never again—it’s hard to mess up melted cheese with veggies and carbs for dipping but they succeeded. Brilliantly. :rofl:

Fondue at home or somewhere where there’s a tradition is also my vote.

3 Likes