May–August 2022 Baking Cookbook Nominations

Welcome to the nominating thread for May–August 2022 Baking “Cookbook of the Months”, where we’ll start the process of choosing a book to bake from collectively. While this is a new project for Hungry Onion, the selection process is similar to that of DOTQ, COTQ, and COTM.

You may nominate as many books as you like. Please post the names of the books you are nominating in ALL CAPS for clarity. (If you’re just discussing rather than nominating a book, use regular capitalization.) Please nominate with the intention of participating should your nomination move on to voting and win. Books with the most nominations will move on to a vote.

NOMINATIONS WILL CLOSE MONDAY, APRIL 18 at 11 PM GMT/7 PM EDT/4 PM PDT

Below is a list of titles previously done on Chowhound, to give an idea of the breadth of possible sources. Nothing, including these, is off the table here if enough people nominate and vote for it.

•Baking Chez Moi
•Tartine
•Rustic Fruit Desserts
•King Arthur Flour Website
•Hot Bread Kitchen
•Classic Home Desserts
•Dorie’s Cookies
•Flo Braker Quarter
•Classic German Baking
•Sweet
•Flour
•BraveTart
•The Cardamom Trail
•Golden
•The Baking Bible
•Food52 Genius Desserts
•Dessert and Baking Recipes from David Lebovitz’s Website
•Midwest Made
•Yossy Arefi’s Snacking Cakes, Sweeter off the Vine, and Blog
•Pastry Love
•Dessert Person

MOTHER GRAINS by Roxana Jullapat -
I like this book. Roxana is a pastry chef from SoCal. I found it fun to read and most of the recipes are balanced. Sections based upon the grain: rye, sorghum, heirloom wheat, etc. with breads, pastries and some other fun items.

THE LAST COURSE by Claudia Fleming
BAKING WITH DORIE by Dorie Greenspan
THE ITALIAN BAKER by Carol Field
HOW TO BE A DOMESTIC GODDESS bu Nigella Lawson

1 Like

I nominate:

BAKING WITH DORIE

(post deleted by author)

Yes, BAKING WITH DORIE

THE ITALIAN BAKER

I love this book!

THE LAST COURSE, Claudia Fleming
BAKING WITH DORIE, Dorie Greenspan

THE LAST COURSE by Claudia Fleming

THE ITALIAN BAKER by Carol Field
BREAKING BREADS: A NEW WORLD OF ISRAELI BAKING by URI Scheft and Raquel Pelzel
MOONCAKES & MILKBREAD by Kristina Cho

BRAVETART (Stella Parks)

BOUCHON BAKERY (Thomas Keller)

HOW TO BAKE EVERYTHING (Mark Bittman)

we did Bravetart before, over on CH (weeps silently)

2 Likes

What’s the best name for this event?

1/ Baking Cookbook of the Triannual

2/ Baking Cookbook of the Quadrimester

3/ Baking Cookbook of the Month

4/ Baking Cookbook of the Season
(eg. Baking Cookbook of the Season, Summer 2022)

What do you all think? I need to create a tag for this.

As much as I’m trying (only somewhat successfully) not to bake, I will join in nominating BAKING WITH DORIE. If it wins, it will give me an excuse to bake something from it.

MOONCAKES & MILKBREAD by Kristina Cho

THE PIE ROOM by Calum Franklin

I think Baking Cookbook of the Month might be best, despite its being for more than one month. The first two choices seem awkward, and a triannual book doesn’t map neatly onto the seasons. (Triannual Baking Book sounds better, than the reverse styling, but doesn’t put the most important info first.)

3 Likes

THE ITALIAN BAKER
I got it when the first edition came out in 1985, and discovered ciabatta and other such Italian breads for the first time. I got the second edition in 2011. She died in 2017. I love this book and it would be fun to revisit it.

3 Likes

How about Baking Cookbook of the Quarter?

1 Like

Well, except we’re not doing a quarterly book, we’re doing it in four-month increments.

Agreed!

Unless we skip a season, I guess summer, autumn and winter, or well, change into a 3-month increments.

4-month is not easy.