What are you baking? April 2022

Welcome! Hope to see your baked goodies soon. There are many baking experts here to share tips.

Great!! Do you think the mold is necessary to make baguettes?

The quality of baguettes selling in my usual shop has deteriorated a lot and inedible, I don’t know if it’s related the price increase in ingredients… seriously I need to make my own bread.

1 Like

Hi, the recipe is here

1 Like

that is AMAZING!

1 Like

Thank you!

Here’s the nomination thread for May–August Baking Book!

The baker I think is maybe more for generating steam (there’s a lid that goes on top and you’re supposed to spritz the dough with some water before putting it in the oven). I also have a baguette maker also from Emile Henry that makes three skinnier loaves. I’m not sure how much it improves the end result though as I haven’t tried making baguettes straight in the oven.

I did get these proofing baskets for proofing and they seemed to keep the dough more baguette shaped I think.

Also this video was very helpful on how to form the dough:

4 Likes

Gorgeous!

Raspberry galette…a favorite of ours, be it a galette or a tart. The galette shape allows for more raspberries in the filling and that’s a good thing! The galette is small, I used 100g . pastry flour, etc. and rolled to about 11”.
Twelve oz. raspberries, sugar and tapioca starch comprised the filling , along with a dusting of amaretti crumbs on the bottom of the crust. A thin brush of red currant jelly on top of the raspberries when finished added a little more shine.

21 Likes

I had some leftover cream cheese and lemon curd filling and I decided to make a few cream puffs with it. Unfortunately I didn’t get to it yesterday, but today. Puffs baked and cooled and what do I find? The filling is quite loose, no doubt whatever small amount of thickening the cream did now undone. Of course I now felt bad about having puffs and no filling. Sadly I can’t just whip cream here because it won’t whip, but I can make pastry cream in a flash, and cool it in an ice bath pretty fast. So in a bit, some vanilla cream puffs. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

The puffs were devoured and highly praised. Nobody can resist a super crisp shell with creamy filling. I stirred some of the lemon cream cheese soup into the pastry cream, which plays well with vanilla.
I didn’t get a chance to take a photo of the filled cross-section, but here is an unfilled one. I only made a half batch of pastry cream because it would cool faster and I didn’t have enough puffs for a full batch anyway, so I ended up with a few unfilled ones. You can see they came out nice and hollow. The more room to fill with cream!

12 Likes

This looks delicious, even without the filling! I’m curious though, what type of puff?

1 Like

This is choux au craquelin— standard pate a choux with a crisp cookie top.

Thanks Shellybean!

1 Like

Today’s small-batch scone bake is courtesy of Quaker Oats. The recipe for Scottish Oat Scones is from their website. It is an older recipe which they used to distribute in a cookbook, and you could acquire the book by sending in Proofs of Purchase. Do companies still do that today? I remember when my Mom used to collect S&H Green Stamps at the gas station in exchange for steak knives.

I made a half-batch of scones, with a few minor adjustments. I subbed 33% of the AP with white whole wheat. Used brown sugar instead of white, and cream instead of milk. Having read these could be dry the next day, I soaked the currants. I also forgot to halve the egg, so my half-recipe incorporated a full egg. Finally, instead of kneading, shaping and cutting into wedges, I used a #10 cookie scoop, and got 4 large scones, which were topped with a little raw sugar before baking.

I really liked the nuttiness of the whole wheat, and the toothsomeness of the whole oats. It is not a very sweet scone. Getting a taste of a crumb just as they came out of the oven, I ended up glazing the ones for DH, as he likes things super sweet. I would be happy to eat them unglazed for a breakfast scone and wouldn’t feel badly about doing so.

The recipe calls for baking a slightly smaller scone at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. At the 15-minute mark, mine were far from done. I reduced the temp to 375 and gave them another 8 minutes. The scones spread quite a bit, and next time I want to try chilling the dough before baking.

I would also increase the currants by 50%.

FYI there is a very similar recipe on allrecipes which calls for double the oats, and melting the butter before stirring it into the liquids. I don’t think I need to try it, but thought I’d mention it.

8 Likes

Had a Very Stressful Day at the office yesterday, and it was raining too hard to run after work. So instead I made cookies. I have been wanting to try black sesame in baking for a while, so tried this recipe: https://zhangcatherine.com/black-sesame-cookies/. Baked and sampled today. Very nice… fudgy interior. I would add a bit of salt to the batter if I made it again… they almost come out grey?

12 Likes

Interesting! Unique look.

If you like toasted black sesame in baked goods, you should make Alice Medrich’s Sesame Cake.

It delicious, bursting with sesame flavor. I serve it with citrus curd as I like how the acidity/tartness balances the toastiness of the sesame.

https://blog.lemonpi.net/2008/05/13/1616

4 Likes

Interested with black sesame in cookies, is it very sweet?

Fun idea! I think the furthest I’ve pushed is to use pavot poppy seeds with lemon.