May 2023 Cookbook of the Month Nominations

It’s time to nominate titles for our May 2023 Cookbook of the Month. What books inspire you as spring finally kicks into high gear?

You many nominate as many books as you wish. Please nominate with the intention of joining us in cooking from the book and reporting on the dishes you make, should your nominee be selected. In order to nominate, please put the name of the book in ALL CAPS in the comments below. Only titles in all caps will be counted as nominations. (If you’re discussing a book, but not nominating, please use regular capitalization for clarity.)

Nominations will end THURSDAY, APRIL 21 at 11 PM GMT/7 PM EDT/4 PM PDT, and the books with the most nominations will move on to a vote. The book that receives the most votes will be our February COTM. A reporting thread will be posted on May 1.

Don’t forget, there is still plenty of time to participate in our April COTM, Smitten Kitchen Keepers, strong textand you can always add reports to past COTMs, which are archived here.

ENDLESS SUMMER COOKBOOK (Katie Lee)
UNION SQUARE CAFE COOKBOOK (Danny Meyer)
MESA MEXICANA (Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger)
GO-TO DINNERS (Ina Garten)

Thanks, Caitlin!!!

I bought VENICE last month when it looked like it had momentum. I think it would be a good spring book.

I’m also going to persevere with I AM FROM HERE.

I AM FROM HERE (Vishwesh Bhatt)

SABRINA GHAYOUR MONTH (1 or 2 of her 6 books are usually on Kindle sale, plus there are online recipes, so this would be pretty accessible and broad)

MAANGCHI MONTH (KOREAN): Her blog & two books

CULTURAL REVOLUTION COOKBOOK (CHINESE): I have the first edition of this odd little book and love it. Looks like they came out with a new one, and a kindle version too.

THE MALAYSIAN KITCHEN : 150 Recipes for Simple Home Cooking

GO TO DINNERS (Ina Garten)

VENICE is a complete sentence because it’s a name of a book; i.e, a TITLE. js

I bought VENICE and would love to cook from it. That said, I’ll be gone for 2 weeks of May, and LLD will be gone 10 of the remaining days, so I probably won’t get much cooking done during the coming month.

It looks like I may be able to get get VENICE via interlibrary loan, and it’s fairly affordable, to boot.

While I’m happy to see Venice with some momentum again, I will throw in one last opton. If nothing else it will remind me to nominate it next time.

GREENFEAST: SPRING, SUMMER - by Nigel Slater

Because this encompasses two seasons, it might be a good book for late spring/early summer when those up north are still getting what I consider spring produce, but I’m already knee deep in tomatoes and peaches.

1 Like

Ha! If Mel is going to throw out nominations wishlist, I will throw out RECIPETIN EATS DINNER: 150 Recipes for Fast, Everyday Meals.

Nagi’s blog saved my sanity while I lived in Kuwait. I couldn’t find brands or ingredients I normally would be able to find in an American supermarket. So, I turned to RecipeTin Eats blog. She lives down under and many of the brands and stuff can be found in Kuwait. Weirdly, Kuwait imports a ton of stuff from Australia, NZ, etc. Her recipes are awesome and easy and flavorful. I’ve made her espresso martini, her Persian feast, and a bunch of individual recipes from her blog and they are almost always delicious and the recipes don’t have a lot of errors. Now, as a caveat, I will say I haven’t cooked from her book. For full disclosure, I will say that I don’t even have it… yet. But I will. And I hope everyone will want to cook from her book and love it as much as I have loved cooking from her blog.

1 Like

RECIPETIN EATS DINNER …is a sentence.

1 Like

The book could also be paired with her blog.

4 Likes

EYB reviews from this book have been very positive and appealing. I’d rather wait until I’ll be around, but in general I’m interested. Not a nomination, for now.

1 Like

So many tempting recipes on her blog!

RECIPETIN EATS DINNER + BLOG is nominated.

1 Like

I’ve used her blog on and off, mostly for Asian dishes.

While on blogs, I want to remember to nominate WoksOfLife in a future month, when their book has been out a bit longer. Yet to come across a recipe of theirs that didn’t turn out well.

1 Like

Just about 30 hours remaining in which to nominate!

This RecipeTin book is one I would be interested in doing in the winter, but not in the summer. I looked at all the recipes listed on EYB, and it seems about as far from a produce-driven book as one can get. I do like the mix of recipes and nationalities represented, but it just seems that it would be a better fit when I’m shopping from the supermarket.

1 Like

Have we done GRAINS FOR EVERY SEASON by JOSHUA McFadden?

SABRINA GHAYOUR MONTH
GRAINS FOR EVERY SEASON