Mac and Cheese

‘baked white mac&cheese’

1 Like

I had this last night, and it does indeed say Baked White Mac & Cheese on the box along with “New Recipe.” It’s not the one I linked to on the Stouffer’s website. Stouffer’s must be lagging behind in updating their website because I couldn’t find the new one on there. And you’re right, it’s good. Generous flavorsome breadcrumbs which you don’t often get with frozen mac & cheese.

1 Like

I don’t find it helpful to say they’re the same considering the number of people constantly asking or assuming evaporated milk is condensed milk in recipes. It’s one of the most common comments and mishaps in recipes that contain one or the other.
Just a couple of weeks ago someone was griping about how the pumpkin pie recipe they were making contained two cans of condensed milk and sugar and it wasn’t until I asked if the recipe wasn’t calling for evaporated milk rather than condensed that this person realized the mistake.

And anyway they’re not the same for someone who says that evaporated milk is off-putting because it contains carrageenan and disodium (or sometimes dipotassium) phosphate, as sweetened condensed milk is just milk and sugar if you buy a good brand. There is some evaporated milk with no carrageenan, though.

3 Likes

I keep evaporated milk on hand as a staple. I mostly have condensed milk in Vietnamese coffee, and occasionally buy a can for Hello Dollies.

The texture is so obviously different. Condensed milk is thicker than a syrup. I can’t even imagine adding sugar to anything calling for a can of condensed milk.

3 Likes

Finally cobbled together a Masala Mac & Cheese, with boxed Mac & Cheese, tandoori chicken, tomatoes, garlic , green onion, ginger and spices (kashmiri chili, turmeric, cumin and coriander). Yummy. Based on this recipe.

4 Likes

I would change that to: ‘Kraft is undoubtedly easier, and cheaper but not tasty.’ :neutral_face:

I haven’t tried it, but I do recall reading from generally reliable source that boiling dried pasta starting with cold water can work fine. I think it was said to take marginally longer than simply bringing the water alone to a boil.

But I’m seldom in enough of a hurry to mess with my usual boil-water-first approach and risk a disappointment.

1 Like

And so it does. That’s the method I most often use now (since I first tried it and it worked).

The other interesting method is soaking dry pasta first to rehydrate, and then bringing to a boil for a minute or two to cook. Especially good for cooking in bulk, like a big tray of baked ziti or mac and cheese for a crowd.

1 Like

I wonder how well that would work for long strand pasta. I don’t usually make more than a lb at once, and recently merely lucked out when 2lbs. of linguine came out perfectly al dente, but a more reliable method would be welcome for the next big clam pasta dinner :slight_smile:

Not good for fresh! As for dried, if you’re looking for more moisture in what you have done in the past, it will help… but if not, it will be soggy (especially with a thin sauce).

Depends on how thick. I wouldn’t bother with thin pasta.

With thicker kinds, you could also par-boil (which is what I do for things like hakka noodles that need to be tossed with something later) and toss with oil so they don’t stick, then finish later in your sauce so they’re just-done by the end.

Recommend that kind of prep but without the powder sauce packet – we call that “Desi Pasta” (ie Indianized pasta) at home. Even with scant “masala” (simple tempering, aromatics, tomato) it’s delicious.

1 Like

The ginger was really nice in it. I didn’t use Kraft, I used an arguably better box of President’s Choice Mac & Cheese , and included the packet.
I will keep experimenting.

1 Like

In college back in the day (1968-1972), we had no cooking facilities in the dorms, so everyone had a hot plate and an immersion heater (even though both were prohibited). Kraft boxed macaroni and cheese, Kraft boxed Mexican macaroni, or instant soup, were about the only things you could cook. Every weekend Mark and I had macaroni and cheese one day, and Mexican macaroni the other. Both could be made with one pot, although without a refrigerator, we used water instead of milk, and skipped the butter. I miss the Mexican macaroni. Boxed macaroni and cheese, though, is still it. I do add milk and butter now, though.

4 Likes

Fresh egg pasta cooks so fast I’d never consider that method.

But 2 lbs of dried tagliatelle or fettuccine? Might be worth trying.

1 Like