Lunch Meats of Our Youth

Lebanon bologna with yellow mustard and crushed potato chips on a kaiser roll. It’s been years (decades?) and I’m not sure how I would feel about it now :confused:

2 Likes

Schickhaus beef Bologna is the only brand we like. I am super particular about lunch meats and the video literally made me ill.

Deli in my youth was a Jewish deli-Italian deli mashup out of Brooklyn, NY and northern NJ. Grandparents ruled the shopping.
I wish I had photos handy of those weekend spreads.

2 Likes

Does peanut butter and jelly qualify as meat?

I often fried up a hamburger after school.

3 Likes

I remember packaged lunch meats that were not stacks of slices, but plastic bags with heaps of very thin slices that you had to tease apart. We had smoked turkey, roast beef, and something resembling pastrami.

4 Likes

The last time I encountered that word involved “Little Buttercup” trying to sell it to a very questionable-looking group of sailors. :smile:

Here is Spain, sandwiches with “charcuterie” or as you call them, “cold cut meats” are a mid morning break sandwich, called a “MONTADO” - a mini sized sandwich on a mini baguette.

However, one can order a “bocadillo” ( a whole baguette ) …

There are also other type of sandwiches common such as the “Vegetable sandwich” (sandwich vegétal) which is lettuce, tomato, a poached egg and white asparagus on toasted whole wheat or toasted white bread …

Charcuterie is usually affilated with a charcuterie board, served with or without cheese.

Olive loaf would be a Mortadella with Olives – yes ?

4 Likes

Yes exactly, though by your standards maybe not always the best mortadella :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Sounds like Buddig bags we had as a kid. We would eat some plain but most of it was fed to the cat.

3 Likes

Mmmm, montados.

Yes, olive loaf is close to mortadella. In the product image here you can see that olive loaf is studded with pimento-stuffed green olives instead of little cubes of pork fat.

1 Like

The parents never approved of the pre-sliced, packaged meats or cheeses. Everything was sliced fresh at the deli counter to the parents’ thickness requirements. I guess that’s the luxury of growing up in a large city in a mixed Italian\Jewish neighborhood?

When I went to grad school in a small SE Ohio town, the food shock was real.

4 Likes

Seems like it … probably along with having parents who know a thing or two about deli meats.

2 Likes

There is Mortadella lightly stuffed with sliced spheres of green olives and red bell and no pork fat …
There are many types.

I received a foto of Publix Supermarket - the exterior of the supermarket !

1 Like

Yes, there were Jewish delis, Italian markets and gourmet Irish (oxymoron?) shops on every corner. Never needed to buy the pre-processed, pre-packed products. Rural Ohio was a shock to my soul and my stomach.

2 Likes

We have always had a large array of hams, smoked and air dried … The renowned 4 …

1. Teruel, Aragon: A sweet smoked ham with a similarity to Proscuitto.
  2. Salamanca: An evolution to compete with its southern competition.
  3. Dehuesa, Badajoz, Extremadura: This is an exceptional top of the line delicacy sliced extremely thin and air dried from the black hogs of the this amazing land and whose diet consists of “Bellotas” …
  4. Jabugo, Huelva: This is an extraordinary air dried traditional delicacy, also from the black hogs which feed on the “bellotas”…

What is a bellota ? Give me a minute … I have temporarily forgotten the English word. ACORNS is the word in English.

5 Likes

Yes, I think my parents were “food snobs” long before that was a thing. No canned pasta, no frozen meals . . . fresh meat and fish, fresh veggies and fruit, french toast rather than poptarts. I felt so deprived at the time :crazy_face:

4 Likes

You were very lucky.

My parents were in the hospitality sector, providing hotels and restaurants with servingware, cutlery, table linens, wines, glassware, stemware, furnishings, kitchenwares, uniforms, interior design etcetra.

So I always considered myself very lucky. And my grandparents were in the wholesale and retail fish business.

4 Likes

Olive loaf is one of my rare indulgences into lunch meat now, and I only allow myself 3 slices from the deli. My husband doesn’t care for it. I do buy the Boar’s Head brand. I eat it on sturdy white bread with mayo. Haven’t had any since the pandemic. I’m overdue!!

4 Likes

Truer words have never been said. My parents raised me on fresh fruits and veggies, fresh meat and fish. And don’t forget dad’s very real sweet tooth for good chocolate. It has carried me well . . . I was in the hospital last weekend (a fall, not a health scare) and at 55+ no obesity, no diabetes, no heart disease and I’ll be the first to acknowledge I’m not great at exercise.

But I did order a pizza today with mushrooms, peppers and olives :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your fall. Speedy recovery wishes.

As my husband and my paternal grandparents are from Italy, we do eat alot of Italian cuisine.

I rarely open a tin or can or use something which is not fresh or ecological. Maybe the only tinned item I like from time to time, is Cuca brand Ventresca white Albacore Tuna which I use to make tuna salad.
And I usually buy it in a glass jar.

Best wishes and speedy recovery … 22.00 and must get up at 6am.

On occasion I have a baguette with Dijon Mustard and Mortadella with olives and Asiago or Provolone. All sliced fresh from the Italian Deli …

1 Like