Lunch Meats of Our Youth

When I was young we would buy packages of Carl Buddig ham and turkey not for sandwiches but just snacked on as most was fed to the cat, although his favorite was round steak scraps for our chicken fried steak.

In high school I developed an affection for reubens so there was lots of corned beef.

I made them by the way, Mom was at work. Other lunch favorites were hamburgers pan fried or chargrilled and the classic grilled Kraft American sort of cheese on white bread.

Growing up in the 80s, Oscar Meyer bologna (pre-sliced from the round plastic package) was pretty standard fare in our house. My mom also had an old school hand-crank grinder she would use to make ham salad or roast beef salad out of dinner leftovers, although we kids wouldn’t touch it. Olive loaf, however, was a treat I only got at Grandma’s house! No idea why my parents wouldn’t buy it but I always enjoyed it when visiting Grandma. She served a wide variety of old-fashioned lunch meats, actually, but olive loaf was the only one I would eat. I remember my (pickier) siblings eating a lot of cheese and potato chip sandwiches at her house!

I was visiting my wife’s nephew yesterday to see his newly arrived daughter at a local hospital in Mineola NY…saw this sign and remembered our discussion here.