Lunch Meats of Our Youth

Thanks Barca. Please get some sleep.

I broke a few orbital bones and into the sinus, so I will not be appearing in public for a while. But it looks worse than it feels.

And for an Irish-American woman my mom is a great Italian cook: lasagna, stuffed shells, chicken piccata, chicken penne, etc. I could go on. Good Italian neighbors made for a good Italian cook!

3 Likes

Hmmm, you should have been able to see the following image (and another, less informative one at the link). —>

3 Likes

This.

I think I might be mixing up two “threads” on this subject, but that’s what I remember growing up in Queens , where it took a LOT of work to get from Italian/ Jewish neighborhoods to where I lived, which might now have been called a food desert. But even then it was Queens, my mother was not deterred, and neither am I.

Okay; wait. @gaffk; You broke orbital and sinus bones? WTH!?! Do I want to know about this?

1 Like

You’re killing me with this photo!! We just got our 2nd covid shots this morning. Maybe I’ll feel safe ordering at the deli counter in a few weeks. It’s just been quick in and out at 6 am when I go with my husband to the Stop & Shop.

1 Like

The local Long Island delis all carried Schaller&Weber Gold Medal, but my father frequently went to the Yorkville section of Manhattan, to their store, for other sausages and meats. Karl Ehmer had a store too, and it was equally popular but we slighly preferred S&W leberwurst. There was an Ehmer store fairly close to our town but for other reasons my father went to Yorkville. I’ve never had hot liverwurst, beyond it getting warm when spread on toasted bread or bagels.

Our standard order!

I’m sorry about your fall. I broke some ribs last month. Shared commiseration with you. At least mine was not visible. Audible (lots of moaning when I move), but not visible.

I recall a lot of boiled ham sliced at home when I was growing up. I had a rotation of ham, turkey, and roast beef for work lunches after college.

My sister went through an extended period of Oscar Mayer bologna. I recall that overlapped with an insistence on Spaghetti-Os for dinner.

Money was tight so our options were limited to whatever was at the commissary.

4 Likes

While watching Stanley Tucci’s “Italy” I got a craving for mortadella. On my next trip to RD I got a 6# baloney on sale. So, this week it’s been baloney sandwiches on Wonder Bread with American cheese & mayo. I should have splurged & bought a jar of Miracle Whip.

8 Likes

“I should have splurged & bought a jar of Miracle Whip.” :joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

As a kid in 1950s Pittsburgh, we often went to the Isaly’s branch in Squirrel Hill. My favorite lunch meats there were chipped ham (very thinly sliced “ham”, and ham salad. The best person to go with was my food-loving grandfather who would buy large quantities of whatever we wanted. Sometimes we would go to Isaly’s and then go to my grandfather’s bank on the same block. We would go down to the safety deposit box room and have a picnic while he clipped coupons from whatever you used to clip coupons from (stocks?, bonds?). t was one of our favorite outings. In retrospect, I’m sure the bank people were - appalled, jealous - who knows?!
I am still a major fan of cold cuts, even though the deli people at a local store snicker when I order a bologna sandwich with mayo and pickles. Insufficiently gourmet, I guess…

5 Likes

“I broke a few orbital bones and into the sinus, so I will not be appearing in public for a while. But it looks worse than it feels“

“I broke some ribs last month”.

Wow - I hope you both feel better sooner rather than later. I’ve heard there’s ‘almost’ nothing worse than a broken rib.

Kinda hell getting older isn’t it.

4 Likes

It depends how you classify stuff I guess, but any condition where merely breathing causes pain has to be a bad thing.

1 Like

Yes, now i see the foto of the Mortadella with olives.

Looks similar to Italy and Spain.

Shall go shoot a foto at weekend from the Mercat Boqueria … Main Market in Bari Goti.

2 Likes

Not for the faint of heart.

I had no displacement so mostly a steady ache and significant limitations on activity. My heart goes out to @gaffk Kim. I can only imagine that eating and drinking are painful. I hope she doesn’t suffer from seasonal allergies–sneezing would be bad.

Kim, my first reaction was to send you an e-card with hopes for rapid recovery but I can’t think of a way to stuff one through HO. Best wishes for the swelling and bruising to fade quickly and the bones to knit well. Follow doctors’ orders and get well soon.

2 Likes

@Barca @shrinkrap @Auspicious @Miss_belle Thanks for the well-wishes. Fortunately it’s not too painful and the eye itself is bloody but structurally undamaged. Unfortunately the entire right side of my face and neck are a swollen purple mess; and yes, I do have seasonal allergies, but with doctor’s orders not to blow my nose until the sinus has healed.

Agreed broken ribs are worse. I cracked a few years ago and still remember how painful laughing and even breathing were.

5 Likes

This is a rough crowd! Not that I should talk. Months ago I injured my Achilles tendon planting peas.

4 Likes

That sounds like a good story!

1 Like

I’ll try to come up with one.

4 Likes

Let me know if you don’t have a good one and I’ll help you make something up.

2 Likes

Adding my wishes for a quick recovery @gaffk - the whole ordeal sounds painful - ouch! Sorry too you had to go to the hospital, but how was the food? :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t know what hospitals do to produce such unappetizing meals :nauseated_face: Imagine a breakfast with bacon so bad I literally gagged and had to spit it out. Or stuffed shells that are dry, but garlic bread so soggy it seemed like it had been left in a bowl of melted fake butter for hours. I’ll admit the turkey sandwich for lunch wasn’t bad. And I did learn to order whatever didn’t require cooking–bagel, crumb cake, turkey sandwiches.

Fortunately mom brought me a nice tiramisu from a local Italian bakery and BIL brought some items from a local chocolate shop. Maybe not so healthy, but tasty!

6 Likes