Lunch 2024

Foraged?

Adding a touch of luxury to a late lunch /

afternoon Tea/Snack:

5 year old Jamon Iberico de Bellotas + Live BC Spotted Prawns with Sizzling oil, scallion, ginger, red chili sweet soy dipping sauce.

( The Jamon Iberico was initially intended to be consumed onboard our plane enroute back from Europe. However, we all overslept and totally forgot about the packages inside the carry-on luggage. Ended up going through Canadian customs without inspection by fluke! )

3 Likes

From an indie supermarket here (Berkeley Bowl West) that has literally ten lateral feet of various mushrooms, five shelves high. The price came down enough this week for me to get that handful.

The only time I’ve ever foraged morels was when two of them popped up in my backyard. They haven’t returned in years. We also foraged magic mushrooms when I was in college, which was probably very risky.

5 Likes

In Bezerkeley, right? Two BBs?

The morels were in Berkeley. The magic mushrooms were in a cow pasture in upstate NY.

6 Likes

Haha! I just realized how good toasted walnuts are so now I feel compelled to eat my entire body weight in walnuts every time I have them now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Egg fried rice with broccolini

11 Likes

Pork tenderloin au jus, pilaf of farro, fideos, basmati with a little basil oil and basil snippings.

Apricot pistachio frangipane tart…so delicious!

13 Likes

Overstuffed BLT. It was down the hatch before I thought to take a photo. I was hungry!

Don’t tell anyone - I used some of that already cooked bacon. It’s fine for a sammich. Not so much as a stand alone next to eggs on a plate.

6 Likes

I made some spaghetti in the Philips pasta machine with a bronze die from Pastidea. I’m not sure if it makes a difference but it definitely looks rougher than out of the stock plastic die.

For lunch I had one portion with garlic and chili infused olive oil and bottarga.

16 Likes

Yer killing me :drooling_face::heart_eyes::melting_face:

1 Like

A “double super smash brother” burger from a local chain with a side of fries that could’ve fed a small army :dizzy_face:

E17BFCAD-7360-4E73-BE97-DBBABC6F1914_4_5005_c

440578C7-F159-4131-B90E-6D9AC7850C4D_4_5005_c

The burger was very good. I’d totally smash that again.

8 Likes

Ooh, cool! I did not know bronze were available…:thinking:

1 Like

They’re third party, I got them from this company

which makes dies for various pasta machines. They are a bit expensive but shipped fast from Europe (Italy I think). I bought a few other dies to try out, like bucatini which I don’t think is available in the stock sets.

1 Like

i had some mozzarella that was getting old. threw together a frittata with toms, basil and sausage

13 Likes

Butter lettuce base with endive, arugula and radish sprouts. Some lightly pickled radish slices, red onion and scallions, thinly sliced roast chicken breast.
Horrors! No dessert!

11 Likes

No dessert???! :upside_down_face:

:pensive::pensive::pensive:

Was busy making these, rosemary /evoo, coarse salt,:grinning:

13 Likes

Carnitas tacos with avocado

13 Likes

Ooooh, more texture to capture the sauce!

1 Like