Lunch 2024

@Presunto asked me to carry the torch in the new year.

What’s on your lunch plate?

5 Likes

NYD brunch

Panettone French toast.

21 Likes

Lovely! Brekkie of champs, as ever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Homemade ravioli with braised beef and roast pork filling (from all the Christmas pig roasts neighbors had).
After all the work making apps yesterday it felt great just boiling these straight from the freezer and tossing with the sauce I made yesterday as well.

17 Likes

Wow, those look mouthwatering! What a delicious way to repurpose leftovers :yum:

3 Likes

Matzo ball soup after a nice First Day hike. Balls were from the freezer, best I’ve ever made

18 Likes

Looks perfect!

1 Like

10 Likes

Happy new year!

Some snacks - tostada with bacon and egg, smoked salmon on water crackers with crème fraîche and caviar. And a Bloody Mary to drink.

14 Likes

I know I was bitching about the WoL shrimp & broccoli recipe, but I’m warming up to it. Maybe the bird peppers had a chance to add some punch to the dish, but I also like the overall flavors more than I did initially - kind of unusual for a stir-fry meant to be eaten straight outta the wok, but a satisfying lunch of leftovers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A simple bowl of soup. (Miso soup with dashi, shiro miso, wakame, mushroom, carrot and scallion)

11 Likes

Some of their recipes are totally intended to be takeout style though, so if that’s not the vibe you want for the dish YMMV. If it was this one, they say it was based on the recipe from their parents’ restaurant. I tend to think that if you apply enough chile peppers or hot chile oil to anything you can fix a variety of woes. Perhaps the Thai bird peppers were just feeling shy on the first night?

1 Like

I like your theory. Maybe they were still recovering from the arctic cold I’d subjected them to before they landed in the dish :wink:

1 Like

I had the same! Love that stuff.

1 Like

A dream! I’ve never made these !

1 Like

Persian bean and noodle soup (ash reshteh, thick with lentils, kidney beans and garbanzos and spinach), from the Middle East Market here. Garnished with slices of smoked duck sausage, feta, and a new Terry Pratchett book.

14 Likes

Dungeness crab tostadas - tostada shell, Kewpie mayo, crab, pickled red onions, avocado, salt and pepper, and hot sauce.

13 Likes

I love ash reshteh - it’s kind of a pain to make, though.

I’m happy to let Middle East Market make it for me.

Fresh ramen with sous-vide poached salmon and shrimp, snap peas, asparagus, avocado in a Penzy’s broth seasoned with fines herbes, black pepper, and vadouvan, with a swirl of toasted olive oil. I mentioned this in the 2023 favorites topic , and I make it about once a week (need those omega 3s!).

14 Likes