Lunch 2024

It was a treat, indeed! First In-n-Out burger since I left California and moved to Portland, Oregon in 2007. I know that better burgers exist, but In-n-Out is VERY reasonably priced (this cost a total of $8.45) and everything is fresh. The buns are unique, https://www.mashed.com/1464366/are-in-n-outs-burger-buns-different/ nothing is frozen (except for the ice cream in their shakes) and the fries ate made from potatoes which are peeled and cut in store and then put directly into the oil.

HOWEVER, there are MANY people who dislike their fries and some people (like my sister) will avoid In-n-Out because they dislike the fries and must have fries with a burger. People are used to fries which are blanched in oil and then frozen before being fried again when ordered. I don’t want to start a debate on how fries should be made (there’s no doubt multiple threads on HO about that!) but these fries (whether well-done or not) actually taste like potatoes!

As for the mix of lemonade and iced tea being an Arnold Palmer, I did know that and have sometimes ordered the drink they way.

Lastly, there are no In-n-Outs in New England and though they have been expanding, I believe the locations furthest east are currently planned for Tennessee (Texas is now the furthest east they go). ALL In-n-Outs are family owned…there are no franchises. I love them, but not everyone does. I hope you can try one someday!

And it was in the 70s today and not too hot to walk 8 miles. It will be soon enough, though!

1 Like

When I weighed 302 lbs back in 2009, I would have agreed! Now I’m 169 and this was the limit of what I could eat! I took off the weight by walking and eating only 2 meals a day…which is how I keep it off (I usually only eat breakfast and dinner…today I had a salad for dinner, though.)

6 Likes

That’s a remarkable weight loss. Gives you a lot of motivation to keep moving and be mindful of what you eat. I’m in awe…

2 Likes

Wow, you lost have of yourself.

Well done.

Takes mucho discipline.

3 Likes

Thank you! I lost the initial 89 lbs in 11 months and have been in “maintenance” ever since. Keeping it off is a struggle, especially because I love to eat, but it has to stay off!

4 Likes

Thank you. The students I taught in Japan would say I lost the weight of an elementary school student!

1 Like

That’s what most people don’t realize.

Losing the weight is easy.

Keeping it off is the real ordeal.

Congrats again.

3 Likes

Thanks again! I basically eat what I want, but in moderation and work it off.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Clean out the fridge lunch: pane turano, havarti, sautéed KOS, 2 fried eggs that unfortunately broke, chopped scallions.

6 Likes

6 Likes

The usual poached salmon and shrimp, over leftover seafood risotto, sprinkled with a Japanese seasoning called Shichimi Togarashi.

11 Likes

Potato gnocchi with Rao’s marinara

10 Likes

I have great reluctance to throw any fries away ( :smile:) but what I’ve heard of InO has put me off. The first one in Houston landed about 4 minutes from me several years ago, but I have yet to take the plunge. Thanks for this comment on their fries.

Love your weight loss story. In Mar 2007 I weighed over 300 and knees started hurting. I said That’s It! I used calorie counting, making all my own charts. I had a goal of 220. When I got there, a couple of years later, I was feeling so much better and things were going so well, I just kept going. Got down to 179, thought I looked like I was wasting away, so put 5 back on. Over the next 10 years plus I got up as high as 204 but in the last year, have gotten down to 171. Feel better all the time and health has greatly improved. Unfortunately, aging is not affected, much less reversed, by weight loss.

Weight loss is easy, as far as I’m concerned, if you can add. It’s all mental, not will-powered - if you can be honest with yourself and your math ( :blush:). Does take honesty and self examination. Keeping it off involves changed attitudes about food and intake which means brainwashing and new indoctrination. But you do it to yourself. Gotta change long held attitudes and beliefs with regard to food.

I probably would have trouble finishing your meal too. Haven’t had a burger away from home in several years and with fast food fries, I try to eat less than half the portion served and bring the rest home to re-fry later.

Nearly all restaurant meals are too much for me.

8 Likes

Thank you for your comment and words of encouragement.

Re: their fries, they are surely the most controversial thing on their menu and are definitely not for everyone. I think the biggest issue behind that would be that they don’t taste like any other hamburger chains fries…they taste like a fresh potato. But besides crinkle cut/waffle cut fries, they are my favorite. If you do end up trying them, I would definitely recommend you ask for them “well-done”.

As for the weight loss, congrats on yours as well. I realized that my lack of exercise and the fact that I’d never really tried to diet was a major factor to why I’d never been able to keep the weight off. For me, the major motivation was knowing that without a doubt that I’d be infinitely healthier and happier if I took the weight off. And I was right. Many medical issues I had went away with the weight loss, but some of the damage is unfortunately irreversible.

Eating less was MUCH easier in Japan because the portions are smaller…as they should be. But as you say, we can bring home what we don’t finish in the restaurant…something which is nearly unheard of in Japan.

Thanks again and the best of continued luck to both of us!

5 Likes

That’s not really the “problem” but the texture (limp, no “outer crust”) which is one of the reasons double (or triple) frying produces so much better fries.

3 Likes

Mushroom risotto, Marsala , a bit of butter and pecorino Romano.

Impossible coconut pie…This recipe came in a newsletter from Bob’s Red Mill and not ever having had an impossible pie, I gave it a try.
More like cake than pie, but a nice coconutty taste, I reduced the sugar drastically and I’m happy that I did, made half and that’s plenty!

12 Likes

Hefty German lunch at a place in Sanford, FL. Pork wings (i.e. mini eisbeins) with ok kraut & a Wurstteller with grilled :scream: Weisswurst & Bratwurst, German potato salad (wasn’t) & cuke salad (mine’s better).

Kölsch served in Weizen glasses :scream: :scream: :scream:

67919FA0-4B57-4F59-9387-4E14F9EB6C7E_4_5005_c

8 Likes

Bbq at Peg Leg Porker in Nashville.I might like southern-style smoked green beans as much as the meat!

9 Likes
2 Likes