Lunch 2024

Stirfried pea shoots with smoked saury and miso-marinated egg.

I miso-marinated the egg but did not smoke the saury.

8 Likes

This is gravlax from the small piece of wild salmon (Costco). It was thin and cured in about two days under weights. Accompanied by potato salad with capers and dill, lightly pickled red onions, cucs, radish and avocado with vinaigrette.

14 Likes

Last lunch in paradise: leftover fried chicken, mac & broc salad mixed together from Saturday’s dinner.

Was gonna have the last slice of the white b sproutz pizza, but someone cough cough left it in the toaster oven too long :roll_eyes: :joy: 'twas enough food, anyway :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Gnocchi with pesto

9 Likes

LEO. I’m watching my sodium…skyrocket.

6 Likes

Do you find this makes much of a difference? I haven’t, but maybe I’m not picking it up

Salmon curing experiments over here if you want to add yours:

1 Like

I find the weights help “solidify” the fish which for me means easier slicing. In this case, the fish was so thin I don’t think it mattered. I really prefer Atlantic salmon for gravlax, the wild salmon was a first and last …spur of the moment :grinning:.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree on wild vs farmed — I started with wild, and switched. I like the fattiness of the farmed.

I might go back and try curing wild again sometime, some of my extended family prefer it.

Just looked at your comments on that thread and see you also prefer Atlantic to wild for the same reasons.

1 Like

I had no breakfast (I wasn’t hungry) but by 11 AM I felt both the need to eat something and to get out of the house and away from my sister for a while. A few minutes on foot from her apartment there are locations of McDonald’s, Del Taco, Rally’s Hamburgers and Taco Bell. I wanted something on the light side as well as something which was, for lack of a better word, “cheap”.

So I chose Taco Bell. There are a few Taco Bell locations in Japan and in August 2021, I did have my one and only taco at one in Osaka. At the then rate of exchange it cost $4.17 for one taco…now with the current rate of exchange one costs just $2.97.

Anyway, I had a standard crispy taco ($2.16) and a spicy potato soft taco ($1.29). They hit the spot and rejuvenated me enough to go on a 8.6km/5.4mi walk afterward.

10 Likes

Back in PA, where it’s cold and rainy :frowning:

What better way to warm up than with a steaming bowl of pho & a delectable banh mi.

7 Likes

Thai hot and sour soup with shrimp, mushrooms and a splash of coconut milk.

5 Likes

Rainy day rigatoni with a sausage ragu , grated Pecorino.
Endive sorrel salad with a mustardy vinaigrette.

10 Likes

Melinda Mae cheese and basil omelet.

9 Likes

Irish soda bread to finish off the gravlax and a bit of smoked salmon as well. Fresh potato salad and cucs/red onion accompanied the fish. A mustard sauce was drizzled on the salmon and we had Kerrygold butter on the bread rather than cream cheese. That bread is so darn good, it has Odlums very coarse wheat flour along with AP.

14 Likes

David Chang / Momofuku style eggs - salt and vinegar chips, fried eggs, soubise, whitefish caviar, and chives. It came out pretty good.

Toasts with Mexican crema, chives, and leftover whitefish caviar.

15 Likes

Wow, this is new to me. Sounds like weird stoner food.

2 Likes

It’s fantastic.

It’s a really good reason to get stoned.

It’s on the tiktok

Did you get the inspo from his recent cooking show? Looks great!