Lunch 2024

Our traditional Friday lunch: 2 Cajun shrimp tacos, one beef barbacoa. The shrimp tacos were inhaled promptly, so there’s only photographic evidence of the latter. Fantastic as ever.

8 Likes

One of my favorite recipes from last year:

This baked chicken and rice is so simple and so delicious every time.
We ate it before I could photograph it. :laughing:

7 Likes

Pepperoni slice at Pizzeria Da Laura in downtown Berkeley.

14 Likes

Fried rice with shrimp, bacon, and crab fat

13 Likes

Crab fat! Yer killing me!

1 Like

Today’s take out lunch was a hot chicken sandwich from a nearby diner. I am now suffering from an inferiority complex compared to everyone else’s lunches :slight_smile:

8 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: exactly how I feel when I view this and other threads, including your lunches/dinners/etc. !!

Classic lunch event at my house with my friend over:

Me: are you hungry? I’m going to make a turkey sandwich.

Friend: oh yeah, sure! Can I have one??

Me: here you go.

Friend: what is this??

Me: a turkey sandwich. Bread, turkey, bread.

Friend: … nothing else?

Me. It’s a turkey sandwich.

Friend: it’s ok, I’m not hungry.

:joy::joy::joy::joy: (yes, I can make more extravagant sandwiches, and food in general, I just tend to eat very plain sometimes for my liver illness I’ve presumably been both with)

6 Likes

Snow day!

More of my homemade potato-leek soup, but I took the time to make some garlicky sourdough croutons first. Drizzle of pom molasses. Delish!

11 Likes

After seeing the NYT white bean and shrimp stew recommended, I decided it would be perfect since I have nice crusty bread in the freezer.
I used two cans of white beans because one didn’t seem enough and the comments said as much. I added a little baking soda to the shrimp because I actually don’t mind it for improving texture in shrimp.
I don’t always like smoked paprika as a flavor in some dishes, so used sweet and then added smoked to taste later on.
I also used more broth and mashed a few of the beans to get a nice creamy consistency.
I don’t think I used quite all the butter called for.

The supermarkets have been pretty bare I’m guessing due to the holidays, so no lemons available and I only had 3/4 of one in the fridge. I don’t like limes as a substitute for lemons in a lot of stuff because they’re more astringent to my tastes. Thankfully I remembered the sour oranges that can always be found in our fridge and those work perfectly with this. In fact, I could probably substitute lemons completely with sour oranges in this dish.
This was indeed delicious and so quick. A definite keeper!

11 Likes

Snow Day here as well! I’m taking a picture every hour (it started around noon) :slight_smile:

Not your typical snow day lunch, but I had a bunch of salad leftover from last night’s dinner. Held up well.

7 Likes

Tell me about shrimp and baking soda.

It’s something I first learned from Kenji on Serious Eats and have applied ever since. It makes the shrimp snappier. I dislike baking soda used on meat most times in spite of the current popularity for tenderizing and am usually bothered by its flavor unless the quantity is kept very small, but I with shrimp I don’t find the flavor is noticeable. I use a scant 1/4 tsp for a pound of shrimp.

I did that recently, too, with no noticeable change. But the starting product - wild (!) gulf shrimp - wasn’t great to begin with.

1 Like

Did you add it directly or soak in water with baking soda? I don’t find a soak does much, but even a small amount of baking soda added directly makes them snappier.
If your shrimp were head-on, no amount of baking soda will make them snappier if they were mushy, as that’s to do with enzymes breaking down the shrimp.

With ice water, salt & sugar - this was actually from the WoL website, but I looked at Kenji’s method, too. These were bare of heads or shells, just not the greatest quality.

Next time I’ll try just baking soda (no salt or sugar?).

Yeah I always put salt, but really just for seasoning them as opposed to for any sort of textural benefit. Sugar I only use when grilling shrimp or sometimes a pinch for stir-frying.
You should definitely notice a difference if added directly.

1 Like

Fish and shrimp tacos, with avocado, feta, Mexican adobo spice blend.

9 Likes

Nice! What kind of fish did you use?

Salmon. Two local stores sell salmon trim for about half price, $9-10/lb. I get a half pound every week and sous-vide it to 120F for 45 minutes, and make ramen (see a few replies up) and the fish tacos, sometimes fried rice. It doesn’t photograph well, but it’s very tasty.

3 Likes

Thanks - looks delicious! Which local stores? I’m in Marin.