Lunch 2022

Yikes!

1 Like

Lunch looks great. Yogi looks scary!

1 Like

Just out looking for some picnic baskets :bear:

Chicken larb again following this recipe. With cucumber, tomato, and sticky rice.

13 Likes

Love laab. I often make it with ground turkey. Such a delicious dish that comes together real fast!

2 Likes

Needed something more substantial to soak up last night’s martinis and margarita! Eggs & sage breakfast sausage (both local) and duck fat-fried potatoes. Hit the spot :slight_smile:

12 Likes

A triple order of short ribs and beer, please.

11 Likes

Now that is someone I would not want to get their order wrong.

Looks ready to chow DOWN!!! :slight_smile:

Almost every jamón you get in Spain and the Canary islands tastes much better than anything money can buy at home. I’m here for a limited time so I try to eat it as often as I can.

Mussels in (spicy) vinegar, “escabeche”. The beautiful colour comes from paprika.

Every time I try to sit outside (my lodging’s front garden) I get butchered by mosquitoes and other biting bugs, even through clothes.

Day trip to nearby island La Graciosa. Food after biking around the island.
“Broken eggs” with jamón Ibérico.

Meaty and firm chunks of white fish. “Churros de pescado” is a common tapa on the island. So good.

Odd that they have “beef teriyaki” at this little tapas restaurant. Not my choice, but the dish isn’t bad at all.

Don’t like sweet things but I have a soft spot for custardy, wobbly flans (but not Mexican, which is much too firm for my taste).

Some photos from La Graciosa island:

• The road is sooooo bad. And when you get off it you have sandy paths like this, which is also not good. Easy to slip on loose sand.
  • My bikes in front of a volcano.
  • There are only 2 communities on the island, this one is where the port is located. Streets in the villages are not paved, as are other roads around the island.
  • Typical island houses.
  • Why tourists are hated around the world. This creature suddenly appears in my photo. OK, I can move or wait until his broadcasting show is over. The very moment he arrives he jumps on a dune and cruelly tramples on the vegetation, kicking it and flattening it to find a comfortable spot! Signs everywhere telling you to respect the natural state of the environment. After flattening the plant he starts his various fake posing positions, and right on cue the girlfriend makes a series of photos. No respect at home and no respect when abroad. Some countries charge foreign tourists an extortionate fee to enter some sites and some of that money goes into hiring rangers or guards to keep an eye on tourists.
10 Likes

Oh that’s very lucky for you and their other customers! It’s a shame but I don’t think it’s really caught on much in Europe yet. I just have to make do at home for now.

5 Likes

We do it at home occasionally. The difficulty is that a store can put together much more variety, and you can try 2 or even 3 things. Whereas I might make one fish poke, and then everything else would be pretty basic. Greens, avo, edamame. Plus it doesn’t actually save a lot of money because high quality fish you can eat raw is pretty pricey.

1 Like

Pizza on the menu today by request of DH, romaine salad vinaigrette, and raspberry gelato with bittersweet chocolate sauce.

11 Likes

The small potatoes they use for Papas Arrugadas in the Canaries are waxy type. These days they are most likely shipped in from Tenerife and/or Gran Canaria. Plenty of people on Lanzarote grow potatoes for own consumption but no longer enough to go round since mass tourism started in the 60’s.

3 sauces. I didn’t touch the white one, fearing it might be mayonnaise. You always get the standard mojo verde and mojo picon for potatoes and whatever else you order.

Limpets

Cherne/wreckfish is one of the most common fish in Canarian waters. Very meaty, flesh is firm.

Only half a squid! :sweat_smile:

My costume today.

9 Likes

That’s quite the Halloween costume!

3 Likes

I’m think in the spirit of Halloween, I might tackle one of these for lunch.

5 Likes

And today we had…TJ’s spatchcocked chicken, lemon slices and assorted herbs in the marinade.
The chicken cooked up tender and juicy but at 16$ for 3 lbs., it’s hard to beat Costco’s for 5$. Delicata squash, red onions and tomatoes baked along with the chicken.
Dessert was visitadines, the original financier. I add crushed freeze dried strawberries (thanks @rstuart ) to the batter and also to the glaze on top. They were a tasty morsel, a combination of several recipes I saw online.

8 Likes

If dogs could talk …

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 11.47.21 AM

2 Likes

Egg fried rice with peas and carrots

12 Likes