Lunch 2022

Whoops, forgot about that, it is potato.

1 Like

Maduros / fried ripe plantain with sour cream, arroz con gandules, broccolini, and a fried egg.

10 Likes

Lyfted home from SFO to an empty fridge. Yeah!!! :muscle:

First “meal” back home. Don’t get no simpler than Lop Yook (cured pork), Hom Don (salted egg), chiken egg on fresh steamin’ short grain. Cheap red wine. O, and Petite Peas w/butter.
Gud to b home.

Yes, placemats are spam mail envelopes. We green, and cheap. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

welcome back!

1 Like

Scrambled eggs from a friend with fresh parsley and sautéed mushrooms, and the shrinkiest bacon ever :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

12 Likes

Sparkling wine exists but I don’t do wine tours so I can’t buy it at the winery. Finally found one, in a local shop just down the road from my lodging.

Got back at peak time for a meal, no free table so I got some things “para llevar”/to go/takeaway.

Mostly prawns, some surimi (the partner ate it) and some mussels.

My half of the croquettes (fish and spinach) and tortilla Española.

• Saturday is “market day”, the only day of the week my base village gets loads of tourists. Long-timers come by car from other parts of the island with big bags for the cheese and fresh produce.
  • I’m only interested in the cheese/bread/produce stalls. It’s a tiny market and these stalls have only a few items. I will get the hard cheeses on next market day to take home.
  • Fruits and produce come from own gardens.
  • An interesting looking herb (?)
  • German pensioners/long-timers all got the chard. I would, too. Fresh and high quality looking Mangold/chard.
  • Everyone has multiple fruit trees and vegetables in their gardens here. Including these they sell at the local market this morning.

Taking a break after 2 hours walking up the mountains. Pastries I got from a market stall earlier. Chocolate and raisin rolls. And “Pretzel”.

Such an amazing island for volcano enthusiasts. Once deemed an “ugly island”. Now Spain’s former rivals back in the Age of Looting …cough… “discovery”/“conquest”, are all here and loving it! Lanzarote, you are a nature’s work of art to me! The island has over 300 volcanoes it’s possible to see them in almost every direction. And to be able to walk right up to the craters is something special!

8 Likes

It’s allowed to contain a certain amount of (injected) water, which evaporates and results in small Speck after frying :bacon: :bacon: :bacon: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Allium Soup

Scallions and leeks, green and white parts, garlic, a pinch of bouillon, rice noodles.

Trout and green beans

Wanted to add white or yellow onions to the soup but didn’t have any. Added some chicken breast to a portion. It was better without the chicken. I :heart: alliums.

9 Likes

Orzola is Lanzarote’s northernmost village. Most people go there to take the boat to a nearby island.

A short menu

Limpets are served just like I had many times on Madeira, with butter and parsley.

Seared cubes of tuna

I think sea bream

• My base village’s plaza. Traditionally the doors and windows can only be painted in shades of green and brown. But in coastal villages I also see blue. Bougainvillea is everywhere. Always lovely and a common sight in warmer climes.

• The lava reached the sea here. The best beach is an empty one.

• The currents here are notoriously strong. Where it’s safe to swim you see lava steps and stairs.

7 Likes

And today we had…warm pork tenderloin , topped with Comté cheese on toasted sourdough bread. Strawberry gelato with a little drizzle of crème de menthe.

10 Likes

5 Likes

A type of razor clams (shorter and wider than the usual jackknife).

Good sardines, Spain sources from Croatia. Most of the time they come from Spanish territory.

Supermarkets in the capital (an hour away by local bus driving through various villages) have a charcuterie section with many types of jamón and sausages for purchase and to be sliced or hand-carved on order.

Canarian/Tenerifean black pork. The partner says “told you, we should have gone to Tenerife”. Met a Belgian pensioner at a bus stop who whinged bitterly about Lanzarote and how “everything is better and easier on Tenerife”. Here on Lanzarote it takes half a day just to travel by bus for 12 kilometres (each way) and back. The bus goes only once in a while.

Tender octopus

Kitchen

9 Likes

And for lunch today we had….beef, bakers and honey nut squash, followed by plum and lemon verbena gelato.

12 Likes

Strammer Max: TJ’s Tuscan pane, Aldi’s peppercorn-parmesan cream cheese, Wegmans’ old-fashioned ham off the bone & havarti, 2 fried local eggs.

My only complaints: the bread was a bit stale, the cheese didn’t melt properly, and one of the yolks broke. I forced it down anyway.

10 Likes

9 Likes

My PIC really makes the perfect grilled cheese. This time on Aldi’s sourdough bread: havarti, sharp cheddar, raclette. I was going to share, but then I didn’t :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

Some snacks after a 5 hour walk. It’s a simple local bar in the village’s plaza. We went there for the ice cold beer. October is still so hot here.

Fried cheese

Tuna croquettes

Back at my lodging shortly after…
Goat’s cheese from neighbouring island Fuerteventura. The mojo picon is not “spicy” at all. Something must have gone wrong here.

Squid in sauce (“salsa americana”). The sauce is nice and spicy, unlike the worthless mojo picon above.

Sliced roe sac, fish species not specified.

Radishes from a market stall. Still full of soil and ugly, best of all they are sharp and flavourful like they should be. Supermarket radishes have been modified so much that the sharpness is gone.

• When to they fire up the BBQ? Probably during golden hour, surely can’t be sitting outside near a fire in this heat. It’s 29C/84F today :sunny:
  • 3 volcanoes seen from this part of the village alone. The crater of the first one from left is visible. That’s the one I walked to first.
  • Right outside my front door. Streets here are clean and calm. Meanwhile at home, a high-tax “western country”, our national decorations are rubbish and dog crap.
8 Likes

Bucatini all’Amatriciana and a Greek salad.

12 Likes

Not exactly like the photo on the package. Contains no grainy bits and no squid or any species classified under cephalopoda. It’s like a thick stew/soup with vegs and mussels.

Squid in own ink. I’m partial to cuttlefish but squid is fine, too.

Wine from this island. “Semi sweet” but not too, and quite palatable. I would describe it as “Feinherb”, which refers to German Riesling classifications in the system of quality. But of course, it’s nothing like (Mosel) Feinherb Riesling, which is complex and sublime. El Grifo is one of the most recognised wine producers on Lanzarote.

On this day we did a walk called “Camino de los Gracioseros”, which starts in Ye village 2 hours on foot from my base village. To our horror, the entire way down there were only loose lava rocks of all sizes, and also razor sharp rocks, with absolutely nothing to hold on to, and is completely open on one side. All interest in photography was suddenly diminished. I put all my energy into looking at the rocks and be mindful of where I put my feet down. On the way back up I saw a handful of people wearing flimsy fashionable sandals :sweat: :cold_face: How did they do it? They must be experienced and highly confident trail walkers.
It was a big relief to finally touch the flat ground. Took us 1 hour of walking very slowly and mindfully to get off the trail. Another half an hour to the beach. Just came down from up there!
The best beach is an empty one.
Took only half the time to get back up. More people were coming down by then, some of whom asked how much farther and if we were mountain goats (for making it back to the start of the trail so quickly). Views from the start of the camino. La Graciosa island is visible from here.
Ye is a tiny village at the foot of the omnipresent volcano La Corona. All the tourists come by car, we use the bus and/or walk. Ye village is so rural there are only a couple of bus departures a day.
In this photo you can see the typical architecture of Lanzarote… houses are in cube style, starch white, and the roof is flat. Some newer houses have loped roofs, but tiles are rare. Oh, here comes my bus, only 15 minutes late (quite normal).
Ye has one restaurant and serves only meat dishes. Tiny potatoes grown in the village. At home they would bin this kind of tiny and ‘ugly’ potatoes.

Tender goat. Leg meat, mostly.

Pluma cut of 100% Iberico pork.

7 Likes

Fall is in the air.

6 Likes