Lunch 2022

Concervas/tinned seafood

Semi hard goat’s cheese and local spicy sauce.

Jamón, chorizo and queso fresco/young cheese.

The conservas are for the coming days.

8 Likes

Why, all of a sudden, do I crave pilaf, ribs and zucchini???

1 Like

The sound of tins of seafood being cracked open will haunt my sleep tonight. Thanks :yum:

Maybe because…a picture is worth a thousand words :grin:?

1 Like

:sweat_smile:
This is the section for conservas at a supermarket in a fishing village I walked to today. I got 3 new ones. The prices make one smile. We all pay through the nose at home. Where does it go to, the middle man?

6 Likes

Nice part of the world to be in! Have a blast :slight_smile:

Another day, another bagel with lox n shmear. The bagel’s from a local chain. Half a poppyseed bagel with cream cheese (from the bagel place, too - it’s very good, and I wonder if they ‘make’ it or what brand they use), Inglehoffer’s cream-style horseradish, capers, Aldi’s smoked salmon, fresh dill.

7 Likes

Looks lovely - have a wonderful trip, look forward to enjoying it vicariously!

Conservas have gotten trendy here too - what are they price at there? (I saw some tins at $10 here the other day.)

Lanzarotian volcanic wine

Octopus

Mackerel. Actually from Cape Verde.

Hard goat’s cheese from Gran Canaria island. Most things are shipped or flown into Lanzarote from other Canary islands (and mainland Spain), even drinking water. The cheese reminds me of Sicilan percorino.

I happened to have this photo taken earlier in the supermarket in Arrieta. The stuff I bought costs between 1 to 1,50 euros.

Love Spain! I thank everyone for going to countries/places I shun and leaving me this all to myself. Walked to a fishing village this morning. The mist in the valley is drizzling rain, just in that area. It lasted only a few minutes, though.

My base village, surrounded by volcanoes and palm trees. Few people in the street, so tranquil and pretty. Vineyards right across the street here.

6 Likes

How would you describe the white? Is it mineral in taste, similar to some Rieslings?

This one is a bit dry and soft. No pronounced mineral taste like Mosel Riesling. More like “Riesling” from elsewhere. Pleasant wine. It’s only my first bottle. There’s a semi sweet one waiting to be drunk, then I can buy something else from another producer.

Santorinian volcanic wines are also unique.

5 Likes

Twice cooked pork with rice

10 Likes

My favorite sandwich. The ABE!

Avocado
Bacon
Egg

9 Likes

I’d hit that.

Shrimp buss up shut with a side of okra from Bake and Things, Flatbush & 29th St. Okra was tough and too sweet, but the shrimp was good.

8 Likes

Extra spicy Curry. Pork Katsu. Beef. Egg.

8 Likes

Parrotfish is very typical in waters round these parts.

As it’s extremely arid here the goats love the terrain and they thrive. Lanzaroteños eat goat meat at home, a lot. It’s less common to see goat on menu, so when you see it you know you just have to try it. I have eaten it many times at home so I know what to expect (bones, fat, not too much meat, tastes good!).

Sizzling garlic

Typical red and green sauces of Canary Islands. They are multi-purpose mojo rojo and mojo verde. Every household and restaurant has their own recipe.

Almost no meal is without papas arrugadas (wrinkled potatoes, cooked in sea water that gives them a thin white-ish salt crust).

My table

Las comidas típicas de Lanzarote

• Wild cactuses are full of fruit at the moment. I ate them in Morocco in December, also in season there then.
  • They do have cows after all? The sign looks a bit different…
  • A glimpse of the sea (Arrieta village)
  • House on the lava rocks (Arrieta village)
  • The good Lanzarotean life. (Arrietta village). Women who like to fish (as a hobby), this seems to be very normal here, unlike at home.
9 Likes

Parrotfish is a favorite here. I tend to think of it as a tropical fish since I’d only ever seen it here in the Caribbean and Southeast Asia. Hard to ever order any other kind of fish if we go for fried fish since it’s so meaty while still being delicate white flesh.

1 Like

Japanese curry using boxed roux, with carrots, chicken, mushrooms, onions, and garlic. With a bowl of rice and pickles.

11 Likes

Dang. That’s EXACTLY what I Want. Daikon or Potato??