Lunch 2022

Oh, to be in a larger food market though. We have 4 or so bread bakeries in my small town of 75K. The best of them sells their artisanal loaves now for around $8, and the lesser bakeries are not far behind. It’s been part of the reason I’ve taken up the no-knead breads and sourdough loaves. I just can’t justify paying that much for bread.

3 Likes

those both sound good to me…chorizo in bread, bacon in bread, never tried that!

Rize Up loaves are $15 and I think Tartine’s country loaf is about the same. San Francisco is kind of bread central though so lots of other options that are reasonable.

Oh ouch!

Red Tbecha (Libyan pot roast or stew)

A large pile of very fine couscous (I’ve read this is typical of Libyan couscous)

And, Lunch is Served

I went back for seconds.

From Dino’s Middle Eastern Cuisine (Kosher)

14 Likes

Poutine

8 Likes

Bulgarian white cheese (a bit like Feta). From left to right: sheep’s milk, bufallo, and goat.

Salad (“caviar” lentils, pomegranate seeds, radish and limequat slices)

Meatballs cooked in wine and limequats

Green papaya salad with cold prawns and noodles. (Frozen papaya shreds from Vietnam)

Pumpkin soup with beef meatballs. Pasilla Oaxaqueños sauce (on right) just elevates everything to another level with their meaty, savoury, intensely smokey, spicy, chocolate-y flavour.

New squashes and pumpkins bought this past 2 weeks. Plus 2 more kale. The 2 biggest ones the farm uses as a centrepiece.

The garden boss is back! He’s highly aggressive and territorial despite his size.

Early autumn is the best time for photography. Chestnut. Colour palette.. Mushroom, bigger than the width of my boots. Down in the dirt for this one.

7 Likes

Mine was quite ugly as the chickens here are always mangled in terms of the skin, so it all ends up breaking. Tasted delicious, though. I like making the shallot oil first for extra flavor. I used less oil for the sauce and more salt on the chicken.

4 Likes

Oyakodon with miso soup

7 Likes

Clockwise from top left.

Fried fresh duck eggs, roasted Brussels sprouts, baked yams, and kimchi

6 Likes

Chicken larb with tomato, cucumber, rice, and a fried egg.

11 Likes

Box of 25 oysters. Riesling from Rheinhessen. It’s no Mosel Riesling but better than nothing.

The imperial stout is damn good, too.

Autumn photos: small mushrooms on a stump. Staghorn. Backlit from below. Golden hour country road on the way home.

8 Likes

A terrible picture of a good lunch. A Greek food truck had set up shop this weekend at a local pumpkin festival, and I’d heard great things about it (we have a Greek resto in town, but it’s not great).

We split the lamb gyro (leg of lamb, a little overcooked perhaps, but well-seasoned) that came in a pita with yogurt sauce (I wouldn’t call it tzatziki), tomatoes and onion. We also split the very good spanakopita & grabbed two kourabiedes & one rice pudding for my PIC.

9 Likes

Still hanging on to summer, even though it’s a bit chilly now.
A bottle of garum I brought back from Sicily. Very noice. Potato noodles cooked with some beetroots.

This is the clams I brought back from Mexico

You have red sauce and white sauce. In the autumn there’s yellow or orange sauce. Not sure which squash or pumpkin I used, I have too many.

Wilted kale with tinned cherry tomatoes and feta. Hot smoked salmon somewhere in the photo, too. Chili flakes, oregano and feta scattered on the pasta

Some autumn photos: Bracken. Reindeer moss. Tried to follow a deer but lost its tracks after this point. Walking back to where I parked my bike on golden hour path .

8 Likes

And today we had…Mapo tofu on white rice and quinoa. It was augmented by an Asian flavored smoked sausage as imagined by the German butcher. Delicious it was , if an unusual addition to the tofu ! The mapo tofu was supplied by our Chinese restaurant and I won’t tell them what I added to it.

8 Likes

Crappy chilaquiles.

5 Likes

That doesn’t look crappy to me. At all.

Unless you and I have different definitions of “crappy” … which may be entirely possible, as I was an ESL flunky.

And today we had…Tonnato, tomato, veal with pistachios, hard boiled eggs, toasted sourdough, this is a definite repeat! And to finish it off, peach sorbet with a crushed amaretti cookie.

10 Likes

Mushroom tacos following a recipe from Guerrilla Tacos - tacos filled with fried halloumi cheese, shiitake and button mushrooms, shallots, and a salsa made with Aleppo pepper, habanero pepper, and coriander seeds.

10 Likes

And today we had…baby back ribs, pilaf and mini zucchini. I’m usually not a fan of mini vegetables but I “stewed” these very gently with butter and olive oil, s and p to a very soft cooked consistency and they were delicious. We also had a slice of chocolate cake that was studded with assorted
brandied fruit and prunes in Armagnac, very rich, a small piece was sufficient. Initially, I was going to serve with a dollop of crème fraîche but it needed nothing.

12 Likes