Lunch 2022

That looks delicious! I especially like the look of your fruit tarts. What did you put under the fruit? Is it a creme patisserie type thing?

Repeat of a recent dinner, beef chile colorado from the freezer, broccolini, tomato, and arroz con gandules also from the freezer, and a generous dollop of sour cream.

8 Likes

@Rasam ,@Presunto re: pumpkin seeds -

I have tried egusi at the West African restos here and would call it gruel rather than soup. Unlike Oliver, I was not moved to ask for more.

Probably both a lot of work.

The Wiki article on pumpkin seeds lists several culinary uses around the world.

2 Likes

Hi Christina, yes there’s some crème patisserie unless the berries. The crust were blind baked , I had a small amount of leftover crème patisserie that I used under the berries. Martha Stewart’s all in one pot method , which can easily be reduced in size, is a handy reference.

1 Like

A big fat slice of a beautiful striped heirloom tomato on top of a toasted sesame bagel, scallion cream cheese, and fresh basil. Ate the rest of the 'mater with a sprinkle of sea salt :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hmm, I see.

You threw in a bagel to go with your tomato …

Lunch today…liverwurst, red onion, tomato and pork tenderloin. And some just made fig gelato for dessert.

10 Likes

What can I say? I’m a base-ic bitch :wink:

Zhajiangmian

9 Likes

That sounds lovely, thank you for the reply. I’d like to try something like that at home

1 Like

A two tart lunch today…a first! Tomato tart with sausage, cheddar and corn. Dessert was a three berry tart, crème pâtissière in a pâte sablée crust.

9 Likes

Haurache with Avocado, lime and lots of hot sauce

11 Likes

Wow - both look wonderful!

Thank you, we enjoyed them😊

1 Like

Takoyaki, using Otafuku takoyaki flour.

10 Likes

It’s probably the last warm/hot weekend here.
Carmenere and Austrian Riesling.

Aubergines and portobello

From my favourite Turkish shop. A young baker makes these tandor flatbread as I watch and wait.

Garlicky dip for the bread

Ribeye from a farm 2 1/2 hours away (I biked there the other day and timed it). I sliced the whole big chunk into smaller pieces to make it easier to turn on the Weber.

Another meal in the sun.
Chanterelle omelette

Matjes with dairy

Knas is a Danish cheese. Has a mild pungent, stableyard smell that reminds me of Alsatian Muenster.

Chewy rye bread. A lot of concentration is needed to slice it thinly in one go.

Pistachio baklava from the Turkish grocer again

Got 2 big squashes the other day. Not sure what they are. I check the seed catalogue (from whom this farm buys seeds) and they look like either “Turkish mountain squash” or “Autumn beauty”. Both types have dense and sweet flesh.

The whole family at work. They harvest almost every day now.

12 Likes

Summer just started in the Bay area…

3 Likes

Okay, that is a cool chandelier. I feel the need to construct something like this in the near future. Talk about easy to clean, too, unlike the small crystals I was enlisted to help clean and polish as a child.

And today we had a “brown” lunch. Delicious bratwurst from the German butcher, sautéed onions, kraut on the side. Tomato salad with red onions, sherry vinaigrette and a berry gelato with raspberries and blackberries.

14 Likes

Cheese pizza

12 Likes