Lunch 2022

What’s life without cheese?

Cold small potatoes and cured salmon

Prawn salad

Hungarian “Riesling”

Bought 5 small squashes the other day. Only buy small ones now. I steam each whole, then put it on a plate or chopping board and slice like a wedge of cake as part of a meal.

I’m going to the farm every week from now one. Farmers say they harvest every day. There’s 3 times more squashes than last week and it only gets crazier. See if you can identify all of them. Even the farmers no longer know the names. I recognised blue hubbard and banana squashes amongst these. Pic one. Pic two. Pic three. Pic four. Pic five. And pic six.

One of squashes on the bike. Steamed whole and ready to be sliced.

Squash hummus

Hummus with mince (spiced with commercial kebab spice mix and Turkish red pepper paste added).

Strained yoghurt with passion fruit pulp

Pistachio loaded Turkish baklava. Now I can get Syrian baklava at the weekly market but it’s not this pistachio loaded. I love pistachios so the choice is easy.

9 Likes

The squashes look sooo good!

Any creative new ideas what to do with the seeds? Do they get pureed and go into your hummus?

1 Like

Sorry, no. Too much work. I hope someone can come up with better ideas.

I tried a few times in the past, to roast the seeds but the process is labour intensive. Luckily, the partner eats them cooked (when I’m done steaming the squash).

And lunch today…Beef/pork hot dogs from the German butcher, served up on homemade buns with a sprinkle of caraway seeds; mustard, sautéed onions and kraut joined the dogs.
Dessert was lemon verbena and apricot sorbet.

10 Likes

I made lemon verbena ice cream a few years ago, but with CH gone, I don’t know the source of the recipe. Did you happen to use a recip for the LV sorbet? I now have a garden full!

Could it have been David Lebovitz? Mine is a bit of a cobbled together, there is also a sour cream ice cream from “The Herb Farm” , there seem to be others online?

Kimchijeon / Kimchi and vegetable pancake. Found an open packet of Korean pancake mix in the cupboard last week while searching for noodles.

Used some very old TJ’s kimchi, scallions, and the last of a bag of broccoli slaw.

8 Likes

Lunch was supposed to be Greek food at a local festival, but apparently I can’t read: the festival was yesterday. Feh!

Pivoted and grabbed a reuben and a Cuban sammich at a very good local diner. Brought half of each home, so lunch will be the same mañana :slight_smile:

8 Likes

If you can find tomatoes worth eating …

I eat my weight in tomatoes while they’re in season. Bread is rarely necessary (she says while lifting the salad bowl to her lips and drinking the lovely elixir of tomato juice & olive oil :smiling_face:)

3 Likes

And lunch today…linguettini with a sauce of San Marzano tomatoes from the FM. A fresh tasting sauce, evoo, garlic cloves and a bay leaf, simmered just until thickened. Ricotta mixed with slivered basil, black pepper and freshly grated Parmesan.
Dessert was white nectarine and strawberry ice cream…espresso.

11 Likes

Hummus from the freezer with a couple of boiled eggs and a tomato.

8 Likes

And for lunch today …BBQ style pork on Japanese milk bread buns, red cabbage/radish slaw. Fruit tarts brushed with blackberry sauce, I managed to cut them in half without totally destroying them, these are 3” tarts, the crust was a pâte sucrée.

10 Likes

When you do the squash hummus, do you add squash puree to chick pea puree, or substitute it entirely?

Very nutritious part of the pumpkin. I bet you could still bake them hard and comsume.

Chow mien and dumplings, snagged on way home from errands. Spring rolls for husband.
9 pieces plus pound and a half chow mien - $15,50.
Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.18.04 AM
Over half of chow mien leftover for tomorrow lunch.

10 Likes

My single special “pizza:” toasted pane turano, gouda, hot paprika, oregano, shallots.

This was my single girl dinner many a night :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Gazpacho I prepped yesterday:

10 Likes

About 1/3 chickpeas (and some liquid in jar/tin). Plus lemon juice and tahin. I like it lemony and tahiny.

1 Like

Spanish Napolitana Negra arrives earlier than Bursa.

Bursa black figs from Bursa, Turkey are arriving very soon.

And then I will gorge on them mercilessly (but mostly just straight up).

8 Likes