Lunch 2021

I followed the topping part of this recipe more or less (without baharat)

3 Likes

Also look up hummus b’lahmeh. A very popular hummus dish across the mid East.

I make it when I happen to have both ready-to-use chickpeas and lamb mince.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll look that up - thanks!

Just got here this evening. Only had time to pop into the supermarket for some essentials and a quick, simple meal. And now, unfortunately, I have to get up at 6 tomorrow for 2 excursions so it’s time for bed.

Cloud number 9

The best seat on a flight is next to an empty one.

From one volcanic island (Santorini in September) to another…

7 Likes

Which one this time? Did I miss it?

No, it’s a cliffhanger, and I can’t stand the waiting! Am trying to guess…Ireland? Scotland? Doesn’t look tropical/beachy to me, but probably has excellent beer!

1 Like

Google lens seems to think Madeira? Portugal? I was at Duke Gardens last month and wanted to figure out what an unnamed shrub was. Future stuff.

Yes, I could see that possibility from the geology I spot - we’ll just have to wait a bit to find out. Besides, think the other locales I mentioned may be in lockdown? Hard to keep track lately. Damn virus!

1 Like

Ding Ding Ding!

Good guess. You’re lucky this time! :rofl:

2 Likes

Lol - do enjoy! I’m envious, no jealous! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The runway has been extended. Used to be shorter. This is one of the most challenging European airports to land due to constant gutsy winds that change quickly.

One island is prosperous, has good weather year round, is a tourist magnet, welcoming, has fantastic wines and food. The other one relies on the generosity of British taxpayers, is desperate for tourists but tries its best to repel them, food shortages are a fact of life, has no real industry to speak of. Which one would I choose?

My affection for Portugal is unending! Portugal used St. Helena for almost 90 years then the British and Dutch found out. Portugal got tired of fighting them off so they let them have it. Nothing good became of it after the Portuguese left.

I got a nice place here, but I only return at the end of the day to sleep. Every day we get picked up to go to the mountains. It’s a walking holiday. We have always wanted to do this, being walking/hiking enthusiasts, and Madeira is well known for the many walks so we made our dream come true, finally.

(Flat: one, two, three).

For fun, Shannon airport (Ireland) runway.

7 Likes

Google lens is wicked good!

1 Like

I think this is self-explanatory …

4 Likes

Bammy and salt fish

5 Likes

^^ I like salt cod. Have to eat it at least once here on Madeira. The most popular fish here is black scabbard and it’s not dried, however.
_ _

The weather is constantly changing. It’s been wet in the mountains and today it’s just raining all day in the capital where we are based. The walk has been cancelled so we are taking our time drinking coffee and eating Madeiran sweets.

I love taking photos of the “welcome” signs when entering arrival hall.

The airport name as been officially changed to “Cristiano Ronaldo Madeira International Airport”. Ronaldo is Madeira’s native and super famous son who was born right here in the archipelago’s capital (in a poor part of town no less).

Last week Madeira received the award again. The highest honour that is bestowed upon this marvellous, insignificant place in the middle of the ocean. This is Madeira’s place in the travel world: “top island destination”!

Fist meal all day, near bed time for us but normal dinner time for Madeirans.

Dude behind us in the queue who also sat at the next table ordered a bottle of red wine. He drank half with his meal and took his time with the rest whilst playing on his phone. Then we remembered that this is Portugal, where people are chill and enjoy their wines.

Restaurant is part of the supermarket, also inside the supermarket. Popular with locals and curious tourists alike.

10 Likes

Gnocchi, a few herbs and truffle butter…much like brunch today.

11 Likes

Weekly egg fried rice, with red onion and peas.

7 Likes

​Garlic butter filled flatbread from a market snack shop, eating standing at the counter. On an excursion to inland Madeira, Santo Antonio de Serra town’s Sunday market. The bread is size of a dinner plate. But in a restaurant it’s much smaller as it’s more a starter or side.

Bolo de caco cooking rig. In the old days the bread used to be cooked on a big slab of basalt stone. The bread can be filled with anything savoury or sweet but the most common filling is garlic butter. Gas pipes under the iron surface can be controlled individually.

Bolo the caco is the most popular snack on Madeira and it can be found absolutely everywhere. So far I only see male bakers.

The baker can’t make the bolo fast enough. Not many people order the Pão com Chouriço (bread has 2 slices of Chouriço in the middle), which is also sliced open and filled with garlic butter.

Tried some chestnut pastries in a village known for its chestnut specialities. Curral das Freias is dramatically located in a deep valley.

I liked this one the best. Contained big chunks of chestnut, cheese and tasted the most chestnut-y.

Chestnut flour is used in this cake. The chestnut flavour is too mild to detect.

Had to try the most popular drink on the island. Poncha (pon-SHA) is a sailors’/fishermen’s kind of drink but now everyone else drinks it, too. In the most traditional recipe poncha has mostly local rum, a pinch of sugar and tangerine. Nowadays other fruits are also used.

Not for me. I don’t like any mixed drinks, but glad I gave it a go.

Had not planned on doing any cooking then I saw perceves…

Madeiran watercress looks a bit different from what I get at home but tastes exactly the same. I abhor cooked watercress and rucola/rocket.

This time the clams cost even more than the perceves.

Shingle beach

Madeira is a tourist magnet, especially popular with northern Europeans, and of course also the pensioners (who have moved here for the good weather all year round).

The pebbles used on the roof are from the beach.

FYI, The first direct flight from New York landed here at the end of November.

Do your research and make plans soon! :smiley:

​I’m glad we escaped from (food) hell just in time. The last few days has been hellish for tourists arriving and departing the island due to rough sea and strong winds. Cruise ships can’t dock and planes can’t land or depart. 2 of my walks have now been cancelled, too. It seems fine down in the capital but in the mountains it’s really miserable. We did a walk yesterday so we experienced it for the first time. Fabulous walk nonetheless.

10 Likes

Borek and baklava

12 Likes