Lunch 2021

I think you are both correct.

This is the purslane we have at home, available mostly in the spring. Ours looks very young.

purslaine

3 Likes

Great travelogue!

2 Likes

It’s a rare thing to say but I can’t wait to go home tomorrow! :joy:
Let’s hope it doesn’t happen again, especially deep in the night, and more than once.

3 Likes

And this is what it looks like in our gardens as an edible weed:

9 Likes

Lucky you. We don’t have edible weeds or mushrooms at home.

But we grow most things in greenhouses year round for export. I’d rather have strictly seasonal vegs and fruits.

I hope you stay safe!!!

Dry fried green beans and a bowl of rice.

15 Likes

What did you fry the green beans with? A protein?

I deep fried the green beans first briefly, then in a wok I fried some ground pork in a little lard, added a splash of Shaoxing wine and then added the beans again with some rinsed Tianjin preserved vegetable and soy sauce and stir fried a bit. Mixed in some sesame oil off the heat. Following a recipe from The Food of Sichuan by Fuchsia Dunlop.

5 Likes

Rice, miso soup, chicken karaage, cabbage, tomato.

PXL_20210929_194207780.PORTRAIT

13 Likes

Cantonese claypot rice but made in a donabe, with lap cheong, cured pork belly, broccolini, and dried shiitake mushrooms.

13 Likes

You have amazing lunches!

8 Likes

Tonkatsu, pickles, cabbage, tomato, miso soup, rice with furikake.

16 Likes

O.M.G. it’s good to sit on my chair and the walls are not moving!

Found Turkish fresh dates. It’s good to have access to Turkish supermarkets.

Made a simple dip with pistachios

This one is a blend of walnuts, tomatoes, roasted peppers, pom molasses.

Other bits are salad, beetroot puree, roasted aubergine pulp, and sliced cured sausage.

7 Likes

Last Cretan meals:

(Slightly) sour octopus tentacles

Red wine & olive oil braised cuttlefish

Can’t pay and leave yet. Finish the raki and sweets first.

Same cuttlefish dish I made myself before the holiday:

9 Likes

At a meze place in the neighbourhood. Didn’t know that maybe I could request certain dishes. For some reason the owner gave me 3 different meat dishes. She makes all the food herself.

We couldn’t get a table during peak times but no problem in between.

Last wine, a Santorini Assyrtiko.

Last Cretan sunset. My flight was at 1pm. There was another earthquake at 2pm. I got the fright of my life, not once but multiple times for 2 days. Big and small, night and day. So much stress.

But I got to go home at the end of the holiday. Have a little more respect and love for Greeks who have to live with this kind of stress every day.

A few things I brought back from Crete and Santorini. The most expensive tomato paste you’ll ever buy (5 euros/tin) and the most expensive golden split peas (20 euros/kilo - the bags in the photo are 400 grams each, about 8 euros).

Cretan honey and olive oil from Sitia.

Hard Cretan cheeses. Next time I have to bring a bigger bag for more honey and olive oil.

13 Likes

Wow … Fun eating and such lovely items to take home.

The earthquake tremors were in Santorini, correct ? Not Crete ?

I think I want your life. Is there a curated version?

2 Likes

6 Likes

At first I didn’t see the broccoli. But then it was obvious.

1 Like