Lunch 2021

Lunch by the water in a village at one end of the island where a prehistoric settlement is Santorini’s most prominent archaeological site.

On the way out I saw the plates of table behind us. They left all the tomatoes on their plates but ate all other things. :frowning: :disappointed_relieved: :sob:

Santorini “fava” is actually yellow lentils. They have a long history on the island. Like tomato and wine productions, small-scale and manual works, the lentils used to be enough for islanders. Looks like they have increased production as it’s possible to eat it in restaurants. Anyway, it’s the number one meze dish here. There’s already some olive oil drizzled on the puree. To eat you add a bit more oil and mix well. Spread on bread.

Have had octopus twice, both times perfectly tender.

More and more people arrived after us, the place was full, then people got turned away, then it’s half empty again. But this was already after the lunch peak we avoided on purpose.

Hand-made sign

There are no real sandy beaches on Santorini, mostly shingle beaches for obvious reasons (it’s an active volcano)

11 Likes

I made some pork pies this weekend following this recipe:

I had one for lunch today with some Branston pickle and a salad of spring mix and tomato. I thought it came out pretty well though the crust to filling ratio was a bit off.

12 Likes

Garlic fried rice, chicken adobo, broccolini, fried egg.

11 Likes

I usually don’t post lunch photos but

This has frequently been lunch when at home
Tinned sardines skin and bones please with a shot of sriracha

7 Likes

@Scubadoo97 , at home it’s twice a week but I’m currently in Crete. and have been eating a tin every day. Greek tinned sardines are tiny, or very small, but somehow they taste a bit different than what I’m familiar with (Portugese/Spanish/Moroccan). Same species, different seas and different foods in them which the sardines eat.

Going to Lesvos in the future for the sardines.

8 Likes

This is truly one of the most underrated and under appreciated comestibles. Ever.

6 Likes

A tiny, hidden traditional coffee spot on a short street in a very touristy pedestrianised zone. I missed it, walked right past it. The partner found it.

One of the reasons I love Greece. There are still places and hidden spots in super touristy towns where time has not moved forward.

From my trip research, it used to be called “Turkish coffee” but after a certain event they changed it too Greek coffee to be more patriotic.

We go there every day for “doubles” (more coffee than standard cup). This tiny coffee shop is just around the corner from my second lodging in the Cretan capital. A “double” costs 2 euros.

7 Likes

Pastries in Perissa village, Santorini.

The baklava and kataifi (?) are absolutely huge. The same Turkish ones we get at home are like 1/10 the size of these. Turkish are even more drenched in honey and more loaded with pistachios or walnuts.

Filled with feta and honey

It’s quite huge

The beach in Perissa village where the tourist flock to.

10 Likes

I am a grand fan of Bakalava Greek Espresso. Definitely have to plan a trip to Greece in 2022.

These Bakalava are simply awesome !

4 Likes

:smile:

“The same Turkish ones we get at home are like 1/10 the size of these. Turkish are even more drenched in honey and more loaded with pistachios or walnuts.”

:grinning:

3 Likes

Besides good food and extraordinary natural beauty Greece also has earthquakes. I was drinking coffee in my room this morning and suddenly my chair, the walls, ceiling, floor, furniture, window panes were shaking violently and it didn’t stop for some time. So I ran to stand in the doorway. It felt like a long time but finally it did stop shaking. Quite scary for someone who does not live in a highly seismically active region.

A previous lunch in lovely Pyrgos village, Santorini. The whole platter contains Santorinian products.

Rusks, tiny olives etc. Sun-dried tomatoes, pickled caper leaves, capers and Santorini double concentrated tomato paste. The capers are wild and hand-picked. The bushes are a common sight on the island. Santorini tomatoes are especially prized and even has PDO status. First time eating pickled caper leaves. Palate cleansing nice. Small and tiny olives are more common on Crete and Santorini. I’ve seen normal, bigger olives like we get at home but so far the little ones are far more common.

Pickled white aubergines. The elusive Santorinian white aubergines have few seeds, absorb little oil/liquid and remains white once cooked. I haven’t met an aubergine I didn’t like!

Smoked pork, briefly pan-fried. Smoke flavour is mild. Smoked pork is also a traditional Cretan food.

And of course Santorini fava.

Whilst waiting for the food to arrive

It’s still rumbling now and then since this morning’s earthquake. Now it only takes a small rumbling sound or when a big, heavy vehicle passes by to freak me out a little.

14 Likes

Wow! Did the locals seem to think the quake was a big deal? We get them from time to time but some are more unsettling than others.

Beautiful pictures and beautiful food!

1 Like

I thought of you when I heard about the earthquake because I’ve seen your posts here. Glad you are safe.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m OK now (until I hear rumbling).

When it was over I looked outside and saw everyone in the neighbourhood out on the street, and they were loud, probably talking about what had just happened. I got dressed and quickly left the building. Went to a pastry shop at the end of the street to buy some and also to ask if it was an earthquake. The owner confirmed it was. Her kids were sent home for the day.

Yeah, everyone went straight back to their lives. Earthquakes are a fact of life here. They have learnt to get back to normal life as soon as possible. No time to dwell on it.

6 Likes

The Greeks love cats … :heart_eyes:

Wonderful plating and photography.

1 Like

Greece is quite seismatic …

There are maps of the Seismatic Plates and where they are located.

Albania, Italia, Greece and parts of Spain (Galicia), Romania, Turkey and Portugal … amongst others.

Since you are a grand researcher, check out the maps of Seismatic Activity in Europe …

It is quite horrifying and am pleased to hear that you were not caught up in an earthquake.

As you know, there are 2 volcanoes erupting with tremendous amounts of Lava; Isla La Palma, in The Canaries and Mount Etna in Sicilia.

Nobody has died in La Palma. They were well prepared and assisted in the evaculations by the UME, The Rescue Airforce Military.

Take care,
Best regards.

2 Likes

Key in the lock and I’m ready to run downstairs to get out of the building when the rumbling and shaking comes. They always come at the same time, the rumbling is so loud and and the walls are moving, it’s absolutely terrifying. It happened again last night, twice. :scream: :weary: :sweat: :fearful:

It’s “siesta” time at the moment and the sun is at its hottest so you can’t really be outside, but being inside is also not safe. Some indoor tourist attractions have been closed since yesterday for this reason. I have asked shopkeepers and employees if they were scared yesterday and they all said they were.

OK, now lunch.

A family-run restaurant across the street from my previous lodging in the capital. No tourist ventures far from the centre so they don’t come to this restaurant. I have eaten there twice in 2 weeks.

The most common snack in Crete, barley rusk topped with grated tomatoes and a type of Cretan cheese. Rusks have been eaten here since antiquity, and dakos is so popular that nowadays you can find it on mainland Greece. Basically, the barley bread is baked twice so that it can be kept for a lot longer. Used to be food of the poor/peasants.

Salad with seasonal greens. I had bought the curious greens at the farmers market earlier in the day and was delighted to taste them here. They are crunchy and a bit sour. The leaves and twigs contain water, the taste is refreshing.

Tender lamp chops. You want nicely trimmed French-style chops? Go some place else and eat with other tourists!

Day’s special is braised pork with leeks. Pork here is darker in colour.

When you are done eating, you get something sweet. A few things, plus raki. We had to declined the raki as we had a beer tasting appointment at a local brewery directly after lunch. We barely made it to the appointment because lunch took longer than expected. You can’t rush here. Don’t be asking to pay and leave as soon as you are done. They will come to you for the next thing, like clearing the table, bringing you sweets or the bill. The perfect amount of time for a meal is 2 hours. Besides, you are on holiday so what’s the hurry?! Chill TF out. At other places where we watched impatient tourists trying to pay and leave immediately after the last bite. The art of “sombremesa” is lost on some of us.

We were the first to arrive. Greeks come at around 1:30pm or 2pm. Mum is the main cook, dad grills everything, grown children and grandchildren do the rest.

Imgur

Sunset at the harbour with Venetian fortress on left. Crete has a tremendous history, the Venetians and anyone with an army or navy had been here and left their marks and influences (also in the gastronomy), just like Sicily, .

The shakes and rumbling come at random and my stomach is in knots every time :smiley:

13 Likes

Hope you stay safe. Your curious green looks like purslane.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m familiar with purslane. These are a lot harder. I’ll ask the owner of my lodging if she knows what it’s called.

1 Like

Your tart twiggy green looks like purslane, a weed in our gardens in WA state. People do talk about how tasty it is, but it also shows up where you don’t want it.

ETA - oops, I didn’t see the above comment. Great minds…

2 Likes