Lunch 2021

Fast-forwarding 2 days… I’m now in stunning Santorini! Just got here this morning. As a youngster I read about Minoan culture and seeing photographs of the Cycladic islands and remember I was absolutely enthralled. The iconic Greek colours of stark white and intense cyan blue remained in the deep recesses of my mind. Finally, I am here to realise this childhood dream!

Someone once asked: You like islands?
Me: Huh? (perplexed, taken by surprise)
Someone: Your holidays is always on an island, no?
Me: Oh, yeah. Indeed. (I had not realised it until someone brought it to my attention)

Well, this island is almost like no other. It’s an active volcano! Below is an illustration of Santorini before and after the catastrophic explosion. On right is Santorini of present day.

I walked step by step, all the way down to the water to reach my lunch spot. About 300 metres below. Many donkeys and horses stand hopelessly in the scorching sun. They seem miserable. Sadz! As long as there are tourists who don’t want to walk the business of using the animals will go on.

The steps. Hairpin turns zigzaging the caldera all the way down. So many women wear flimsy, “fashionable” sandals or beach flip-flops walking around. The stones are a bit slippery and I have hiking shoes. No wonder they have to hire a donkey or horse.

Made it to the water level. Very normal to see octopuses being dried in the sun.

That was my table but had to flee straight away. The women at the next table reeked of perfume that triggered my allergies.

A perfect day is a day in Greece. Preferably on an island somewhere.

I will be eating grilled squid very often in the next 7 days.

Grilled bream for the partner. I can’t remember if it was bream or sea bass, but I think it’s bream.

The receipt should state what fish it was. Btw, there are few extraordinary expensive places in Greece and Santorini is one of them. I only remember those places being Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini and another island (not in the Cyclades).

It’s so hot here (30C), the plants love it. My lodging is around the corner.

Will return to Crete in a week’s time. Here’s a map of locations of Crete and Santorini. 2 hours away by ferry

Business class level. I was one of the first to board and had the opportunity to make some photos before the entire boat was packed. That’s my rucksack.

Sunrise departure

Standard/economy class below

11 Likes

LOL… that’s my passport cover.

2 Likes

@presunto why don’t you set up a trip report thread?

Lovely pics, and nice to be “along” with you on your visit!

3 Likes

Phenomenal …

We have been tossing a trip over to Eastern Italy (Puglia) and to see friends who live in the Aegean.

Great photographs.

Loved the visuals of Santorini. We only got the tourist bit.

Other than the young man walking away in the distance, that’s not us!

5 Likes

Sandwich with roast pork, onions, tomato, arugula salad, and mayo on a roll.

8 Likes

Pawpaw (aka Maryland Mangosteen). Season is just a couple weeks.

9 Likes

I’m calling this crudo. I think it’s yellow tail.

15 Likes

Gorgeous.

1 Like

Yes, agree with @small_h - nice looking, and especially festive on the Christmas plate! Perhaps I should say the seasonal holiday plate? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thank you both! I always notice I’m using this plate after I take the picture! It is just the right size for me.

BTW, I made more pepper jelly today. The last batch was extremely well received, if you know what I mean.

3 Likes

You could, but I can think of only one seasonal holiday with tree ornaments.

Yes, so true that!

Yes, your pepper jellies have been looking beautiful! Have you come up with a favorite, during your experimentations? DD2 is hooked on my mixed pepper jelly, so I tend to stick with that, but I should play with different pepper/chile combinations…

Beautiful crudo. I like yellowtail best if not cooked (with heat).

Chef at my favourite restaurant in Loreto, Baja Sur made a spicy aquachile with the yellowtail I caught myself.

9 Likes

That is so awesome! :open_mouth:

1 Like

I am struggling with consistency from one batch to the next. Heat, sweet, acid, amount of set. Sigh. I’ll try to share on the jelly thread.

When are you going to MEHICO? It’s time you went.

I posted all the meals I had at this restaurant in a thread in regional section. I went to this restaurant nearly every single day in my 10 days in Loreto. The people who work there dropped their jaws whenever I showed up. Couldn’t believe that I would return every day. They even asked to take our photo for FB! I said “what’zat?” (feigning my innocence and disdain for that kind of platform and its usage.

Anyway, it’s the best restaurant on this trip (4 weeks in Baja Sur). Only locals and expats know about it. Tourists find it mostly by chance. The owners of my lodging (American-Mexican couple) told me about it.

6 Likes

Sunset wine. Went to one of the wineries on the island for a tasting and a self-guided tour of their wine museum. Bought this bottle on the way out.

Due to the terroir, Santorini wines have clear notes of minerals and salinity. A lot like Riesling, which is my favourite white wine and I don’t really like most white wines, but Riesling doesn’t have that pronounced taste of salinity. This particular wine is a mouthful… as in full body, texture and well, not like your typical white wine.

This bottle costs almost as much as the wine tasting. Santorini wines are a lot more expensive than wines produced on mainland Greece. Very small production here and of high quality. Harvesting is done manually. Assyrtiko (the grape) is Santorini’s most well-known/popular wine. It is rare and only grown on this active volcanic island.

And speaking of sunset… Santorini is all about the sunset, but I rather like the afterglow.

All businesses that have views of the caldera are extraordinarily expensive in high season.

Santorini didn’t even have the most basic amenities until the 80’s, and now…? it’s one of the most expensive destinations in.the.world. From a poverty-stricken island to “best Greek island” and “one of the most visited islands in the world” is an impressive achievement. Is meteoric rise did not come without a price, however. Islanders’ way of life is no longer the same. The island is prosperous and insanely busy in high season.

The extraordinary beauty of Greece… Santorini is the jewel in the crown of the Cyclades.

7 Likes

A superbly splendid white wine (Assyrtiko).

If I am not mistaken, the grapes are only grown on the Island of Santorini and also, they are grown under the ground verses above which provide the uniqueness in flavour notes.

It has been quite awhile since we travelled to Santorini …

13 / 03 / 2020 Spain went into lockdown nationally. We slowly entered an opening period, in June 2020.

However, our borders were closed until 2021.

Lovely photographs and article write up.

1 Like