What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Thanks @mariacarmen! Once the idea of pie takes hold, it’s hard to argue with!

1 Like

It’s been a week and it’s only Wednesday. My company announced yesterday they are selling half the business which is enormous. My team is being blown up but hopefully everyone lands ok. Lots of change for a pretty stable place. Andddd my kid spiked a 103 fever today. I present “20 min shrimp broccoli noodles” which was absolutely closer to 52 but who’s counting.

Later pawpaw’s. Anyone familiar with these? I should create a whole post about them. I love them:

19 Likes

A long day at work and then came home and cooked immediately since I got out a bit late. Shrimp coated in seasoned flour and quickly pan-fried in butter and olive oil. Removed and then sautéed the broccoli rabe and garlic in the same pan with a little more butter and some dry vermouth. Served with leftover risotto from the other night.

One Stoli martini whilst cooking. And one with dinner.

Dessert was a slice of mom’s pumpkin coffee cake.

21 Likes

Picked up veggies from the farm where we get our summer CSA share. Put the bag on the kitchen floor when I got home and thought: time for soup. Red Russian kale, green beans, corn, red pepper, carrots, and onion in a base of jarred tomato passata.

10 Likes

A strawberry and assorted fresh berry tartlette and Italian Mascarpone (white part). Nice, we shared it. I am not a big dessert person but it was lovely and not overly sweet…

2 Likes

Love pawpaw. I’m having them for lunch almost everyday now since the season is so short. Posted here:

3 Likes

Cool! I’m in NJ and never heard of them until my parents decided to plant a whole ton of them maybe 15 years ago. Funny enough they took years to produce and neither of them even like the fruit! I picked a bunch when I was over there on Sunday. I was thinking about trying some freezer jam with some, have you ever tried?

1 Like

Ouch on both issues! Hope the kid is feeling better this morning, and hope your team hangs tough with the sale!

4 Likes

Ohhh, this looks great! Could you please ask Mom if she’d share her recipe?

2 Likes

@gracieggg, what a Wednesday you had. Be extra kind to yourself. Weekend is almost here.

3 Likes

I know exactly what you mean… Looks tasty, though!

Hope the kiddo is ok soon. (I’ve heard of so many kids getting viral infections in the past few weeks…)

Good luck with all the impending changes at work too.

1 Like

Yikes! That sucks times 2! Would ice cream help?

5 Likes

It all looks fabulous but especially the salad! Do you make your own creamy Greek dressing? If so would love the recipe!

1 Like

Never hurts! I’m pulling out all the bribes to get her to take Tylenol!

1 Like

I really want to know if anyone is able to adhere to those timelines in a dish!!!

I’ve been drooling over all the BLT salads that have been posted recently so when a friend was kind enough to give me some house smoked bacon I knew right away what we’d have for dinner. Since I had a slab I went with lardons I thought they’d provide a nice textual contrast to the rest of the vegetables. The croutons were sautéed in the rendered fat from the bacon.

IMG_2100

18 Likes

Just say when. I’m sure we could convince @CurlzNJ to join us for a scoop!

2 Likes

And this is a rhetorical question, right? :wink:

8 Likes

Bacon croutons!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Mr Bean always says to never ask a question is you don’t already know the answer.

1 Like