Lunch 2021

That’s a beaaauty.
Yeah, I made the mistake of using too much liver the first time. It’s not something you can reheat at high temperatures like other leftovers.

Next time pile it up higher. Apparently, it annoys some people.

1 Like

Psst. There’s rice underneath. Stealth piling.

1 Like

We’ve found the same to be true in the US during this pandemic. We live near a wonderful bike path, among other lovely places to walk, but now we only go to small parks/conservation land that aren’t popular. We’re really lucky that a couple of “pocket parks” exist within easy walking distance of us.

We used to be regulars at one conservation land area that was particularly nice and safe for well-behaved dogs off-leash (this was allowed). But we’ve been pushed out until this is over.

1 Like

When fresh, hot apple turnovers show up at the door at lunchtime who can say no? Lucky to have an incredibly sweet neighbor who spoils us.

11 Likes

Eggs for lunch yesterday in various forms.

I had steamed eggs, and I made a masala / Parsi omelette for the other egg eater. I looked up the Dishoom recipe only to discover that it was exactly the same as my dad’s - except for the additional step of finishing in the oven, which ruined the texture imo. Sigh. Live and learn.

9 Likes

I don’t know how I missed the Chinese steam egg recipe you linked but these both look delicious.

1 Like

Today’s lunch.

5 Likes

Great photo, how was it flavored?

Carrot ginger curry soup, freezer dive. Enjoyed with dark crisp bread.

7 Likes

Lao Gan Ma, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt and white pepper to taste.

3 Likes

Thxs, I’m in a lunch rut so looking for something delicious is the next best step.

Have you got the Dishoom book? What do you think about the recipes?

It’s Bombay food, so it’s very familiar to me.

The recipes look “right” if that makes sense - I haven’t cooked much yet, but have enjoyed reading and reminiscing.

I’ll have lots of nits to pick, of course, since it’s really my wheelhouse :joy:

But I like it. The restaurant food is reportedly legit.

2 Likes

Some chilaquiles made with store bought tomatillo salsa and leftover tortilla chips, fried eggs, and black beans.

7 Likes

That sounds like a perfect cold weather soup! What’s your recipe?

I prepared a few lbs. of cleaned and cut carrots in a pot with just enough water to soft boil. While that was going, I softened 3 shallots in a bit of olive oil. Grated up a inch piece of fresh ginger and grabbed the curry jar. Then everything went into the blender, pureed until semi smooth. Returned to the pot to adjust salt, pepper and curry powder to taste.

Easy, peasy. I’m going to give it a whirl! Thanks!

1 Like

Today is sandwich day.

5 Likes

What kind of sandwich is that? Chicken salad? Fish salad?

1 Like

Open face bagel with cream cheese, smoked salmon, red onion, and capers.

5 Likes