Lunch 2021

Hard to follow that :point_up_2:t4:

Open-faced Chili Dog

Split open chicken hot dog, topped w/chicken chili, american & cheddar cheese melted under broiler then topped w/mustard, relish & white onions (mine had ketchup, no relish :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I forgot to buy buns so I did them open-faced on milk bread.

Chicken Salad w/Preserved Lemons on Toast Points

Rotisserie chicken, preserved lemons, rosemary, chives, dressing of olive oil, dijon, white wine vinegar, sweet white balsamic, vegenaise, salt & pepper on toasted milk bread.

8 Likes

^^ I like preserved lemons but don’t use them often enough. Thanks for the reminder.

__

Last of the marrowfat peas.

In the glass is passion fruit pulp with some sparkling water added.

Glorious new herring again

Swedish-style “meze”. Summer solstice is a big celebration in Sweden with songs and dance and many other activities. A traditional summer solstice “Midsummar” lunch consists of herring and potatoes, boiled eggs and all the other bits. This is my version.

Speaking of summer solstice, I was on a small island (no traffic) in the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadden_Sea around that time a couple of years back. One of the islands has a craft beer brewery so it’s on my list for next time.

A typical north German island holiday postcard perfect photo.

The iconic beach chair. The fence panel thing is removed when rented.

6 Likes

I didn’t know you had a book! Impressive!

:rofl: The book that I own.

Did you use up all the milk?

Oh! It was late.

I still have a gallon and plan to start a ricotta project shortly, but I will also try freezing some. I believe folks are saying it will be okay for baking.

Didn’t mention ricotta 'cuz I thought you had done it before and wanted something different. But yes, making ricotta or yogurt/quark will use up your excess milk fast. I remember making a post:

As you can see, I make it quite often. :point_up:

5 Likes

Thank you! I think I’ve made it once before, perhaps inspired by one of your amazing pictures!

For lunch I had some instant Korean ramen made Kujirai style, which originates from a manga (Japanese comic book).

5 Likes

My simple fried feta. I believe the Greek name is “Saganaki” (a vessel in which the cheese is served). I used a mild and creamy feta so that I could drench it in honey.

Stuffed with rice. Both things are for the partner.

Roasted aubergine “salad”, yoghurt sauce, and another salad. Flatbread (store-bought).

My tamaras. Salmon roe and yoghurt.

Toast with tomatoes and grated feta, based on Cretan “Dakos”, a meze dish.

No Greek(-style) meal should be without feta and olives.

Yogurt with candied kumquat slices in honey

This tahini pastry is found in many mid-east countries. My easy version also has some poppy seeds just because I love them in pastries.

Pastry for the partner and beer for me

Cheesecake without actually eating the cake

10 Likes

Recent lunches - simple and random but tasty.

Paneer bhurji with the last of my homemade bread (time to make some dough), using up the little paneer I made last week because the milk turned. Strangely, this tasted like bheja (brain) fry - just less unctuous.

Beef “kathi roll” - frozen paratha (split open), leftover Korean beef, quick pickled onions, green chutney. So. Good.

Flatbread - garlic naan, fermented calabrian chili sauce, Parma cotto ham, red onions, a bit of cheddar, and a sprinkle of parmesan to finish.

Shaved fennel, tomato, red onion, and burrata salad with pomegranate molasses and sumac - heatwave buster. So good.

Dal dhokli - leftover dal stewed with spices, and then spiced chapatis stewed in it like noodles.

8 Likes

Just gorgeous!

Salmon roe and yoghurt.

Roegurt?

Thank you, thank you very much. You’ve been a lovely crowd tonight. If you haven’t tried the veal - try it. And don’t forget to tip your wait staff! I’ll be back here on Thursday. Drive carefully.

2 Likes

Went biking to the countryside yesterday.

Have gone through 5 kilos of cherries thus far. Nothing you haven’t seen before so I didn’t make any photo.

Another lunch, “parent-child” theme.
Poached prawns. Freekeh mixed with roasted prawn roe.

Cured salmon and salmon roe. Freekeh underneath.

Super fast seared scallops. Soy sauce and sesame oil.

5 Likes

Beautiful seafood, and the cherries, never thought to have matcha with cherries.

1 Like

Japanese brunch with rice with natto egg yolk scallions and furikake, shiozake, pickles, broccolini w/Angelo Pietro dressing, and miso soup.

6 Likes

Yay, you are home again.
Honestly, your home-cooked food looks and probably tastes better than the restaurant stuff we have been seeing! :sweat_smile: But it’s nice to be out and about eating new things again, of course. Wish I could do that right now… in another country.

Re matcha I avoid adding it to boiling water or high heat and especially any type of dairy. High heat and casein greatly reduce the benefits of matcha.

1 Like

I think I’m turning Greek!

Recreated a lovely meal I had in Veria. A small local restaurant near the train station, it was between lunch and dinner (FYI, Greeks don’t eat lunch at noon) so we had the place to ourselves. The cook could speak some English but to make it easier for me he led me to the kitchen and opened pots and pans to show me what he had and things being prepped. I pointed at a few delicious looking things and he made us a little feast!

Roasted peppers

Every dish the cook made was delicious but this was my favourite. Because aubergines.

His meatballs weren’t lamb but I used lamb mince here

I think his souvlaki skewers were chicken. Mine are pork and cooked sous vide before grilling.

Thinking of Greece

The meal in Veria in collage. Just very typical Greek dishes but they here at home they are a little feast.

7 Likes

What a feast you recreated!

You’ve got me thinking that I should work souvlaki and/or meatballs into my menu this week…

Thanks!
I can’t work in a professional kitchen. This little feast was a lot of work. Respect to the cook in Veria, and all the cooks elsewhere.

If you get around to making souvlakis do use a lot of oregano. Greeks give their meats and many things a heavy-handed oregano treatment.

1 Like

4 Likes

Egg fried rice with broccolini

6 Likes