Lunch 2020

I’m not vegan but that soup looks damn good, might try it. And yes, after all of these years I finally realized exactly what you’re saying, so I quit (extremely recently). Missing a paycheck isn’t fun, but it’s a step in the right direction (the right direction being away from sad desk dinners)

3 Likes

Thanks :)) i hope you’re enjoying the vegan meals, I feel like it could either be a fun and creative challenge or frustrating situation… :joy: i have made this Lentil walnut taco meat so many times it’s embarrassing, although i use a packet of taco seasoning (just double check that’s vegan) instead of the dry spices. Great for taco salad, enchiladas, whatever.

Hope all is well with you!

2 Likes

Well all my friends and family are omni and they’ve hoovered the soup (i said I’ve been making it on repeat!) i don’t mention it’s vegan but obviously since I’m eating it too they can sort it out.

I’m glad you escaped the life sucking vortex of a job! You’ll find something better i am sure of it

2 Likes

Thanks! I have regular meatless days, but the best recipes are the ones where you don’t even think about it (or realize it) - that’s the proof right there.

1 Like

A few weeks I posted if anyone heard from you…glad to see your here and you sound great…we missed you! :smile::smile:

3 Likes

Haha, guess @Ttrockwood was just waiting for me to reach out!

2 Likes

If you look at my dinnenr posts, this approach will be very apparent. It has nothing to do with planning a meatless meal bur rather planning a meal around what is in the cupboard or fridge. I seldom plan a meal around a chunk of protein unless it’s a dinner party.

3 Likes

lunch today was cataplana
No picture as son started to eat while I was looking for camera
Anyway, the soffrito was shredded carrots, celery, anise, in EVoo to which precooked caramelized onions and garlic roasted in Evoo taken out from freezer was added as well as some roasted tomato from freezer also. I also added some of my left over stir fry duck legs, 4 small perch ( caught from dock), about 8 large Argentina shrimp, some baby calamari with everything on including ink , a tin of anchovy in Evoo, the zest and juice of lemon and some chipotle and adobo sauce. Left over white wine and some vegetable broth was also added. This took about 10 minutes to cook in the Cataplana served with toasted Panera asiago cheese loaf. Was great lunch.

3 Likes

4sure!
Glad she is OK!

For sure - I usually cook like that too, but also try to make a conscious effort to up the veg as well by throwing in those days.

1 Like

This giant of a burger is called an East coast burger at a place called lucky Miller’s deli in Redding California. It has a special oil bun with New York pastrami provolone cheese and the burger is made with lean 80% Angus 20% wagyu fat and on the bottom are Dill kettle chips.
I’m doing a vlog about this place and the owner decided to put the money into the product and not into the building and atmosphere. It’s definitely a hole in the wall.
I shared the burger and part of the lucky Miller club sandwich with the partner as presunto would say AKA my wife. The sub was for someone else, just thought it looked good.

9 Likes

Massive burger. Aren’t chips usually on the side?

“Atmosphere” is wasted on me and would like to have a choice of not paying for it. I’d rather eat something good in an unexciting or not “atmospheric” place.

I’ve been sick ever the moment I entered La Paz airport for the flight home. The perfume they use in the airport and the washrooms made me sick. Horrible. Anyway, more about that on another thread.

Have been eating only soft food. Today I thought I’d try oysters, also soft food. Have lost 1kg since I got home.

3 Likes

Yes chips are normally on the side. I’ve always liked putting potato chips in my sandwiches for the crunch texture thing I guess. The dill flavor from the dill chips really gave it a good taste.
I would normally never order a burger that big but the owner wanted me to try the burger and the lucky Miller club sandwich so that’s what I did.

Presunto the only place I’ve ever been sick in Baja was la Paz. Of course that was from eating ceviche off the street cart and yours was breathing foul air.

Thanks for the recipe. I’m mildly allergic to walnuts (also honeydew and kiwis), so how do you think almonds would be instead?

Hope all is well with you as well!

Where in Redding?
I used to sell at Epperson Brothers all the time in my junk dealing days.
A fun town.
I was always a Bartel’s advocate.
And Klub Klondike on the way home.

Lucky Miller’s deli is off of 273 right next to salvation army and Ace hardware it’s next to a laundromat it sets back about 75 yards. Bartels still doing their thing and doing it well but lucky Miller’s is at a whole different level. My son wanted to do a couple dive bar vlogs and Klub Klondike was the first places I thought of that’s so funny.

1 Like

Finally had a sandwich. No lines, and it was pretty good! Yeah, it’s salty, but also spicy (I got both classic and spicy. Taking one, no TWO for the team!) and still crispy after two hours.
Got my usual spicy thighs as a backup.

6 Likes

Thank you! SR…trying to get the 13 pack down to 12 pack!

2 Likes