Lunch 2020

Is IS nice! It’s with this new job that I have time for lunch, and that might not last. Where is “here” again?

Not sure where you’ll be. We lived near den Haag. Loved the beach and boardwalk at Scheveningen. The Mauritshuis museum, the Panorama Mesdag . Don’t miss Delft. Don’t miss Leiden (Rembrandt was born there, the Pieterskerk is where some of the original Pilgrims worshipped before landing in Provincetown -we live on Cape Cod. The American School for The Hague would have a Thanksgiving ceremony every year. The American ambassador would speak, as would the mayor of Leiden as well as descendants of the original Pilgrims. Outside of the church a plaque with the names of the people who came to America and landed at the beach where we live. My mother & I have done a “gravestone” rubbing of the granite memorial and have it framed in our home.

We have not been back to see the renovated Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and would plan to spend a good part of a day there. The Ann Frank house, the Van Gogh museum (but France has a better collection of his work at the Musee d’Orsay).

Also, interesting about Leiden is the Horticus Botanicus Leiden. Carl Linnaeus was instrumental there. The city of Haarlem is a beautiful old city where Corrie ten Boom hid Jewish people in her watch shop during the German occupation in WWII. There is a museum as well.

So many places. The country is old and not like any other. Go to see the Kinderdijks.

The public transit is amazing. Too bad you won’t be there when the flower fields are blooming, You don’t even need to pay to get into the Keukenhoff. Just go to Lisse, pull off of the side of the road, roll down your windows and breathe.

Oh - and don’t forget to pack a picnic lunch!!!

3 Likes

Easy lunches. First one is with boletus and percorino (brought back from Sicily).

A new Polish supermarket has opened near my daily route and I finally checked it out. Got some pierogies on my first visit. Two different fillings: Sauerkraut and mushrooms.

Clarified butter and store-bought deep fried shallots

6 Likes

Have not slept in over 24 hours. Posting from Baja Sur, Me-Hee-Co where internet is very slow and spotty. First tacos from a roadside taco truck in Guerrero Negro. Just got here and this was our first meal after 3 flights and 16 hours in the air (flying time alone).

We ate 8 tacos. 4 prawns and 4 fish. The taco truck only sells 2 kinds. After the photos I piled on more chilli sauce, salsa, cabbage etc. The fish and prawns disappeared under them.

Finally, my dream of eating real Mexican food came true! It’s going to be like this for 4 weeks. Baja Sur food is all about seafood.

Pretty sure I will return tomorrow after whale watching. I want to make photos of the truck and the menu next time.

10 Likes

Picked up some vegetable broth, mustard greens, spicy diamond, and potstickers from the Korean food stand at the farmer’s market. Put the veggies in the broth and had a nice healthy lunch.

6 Likes

Looks wonderful, but what is spicy diamond?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Lol- it’s stupid auto correct. Spicy daikon.

4 Likes

Funny!

Tried making beef shanks and dirty rice from a few recipe reads. Not bad way to make good use of a crummy weather day—cooking.

6 Likes

Lunch bento from a few days ago - rice, broccolini, tamagoyaki, and strange flavor chicken.

9 Likes

One day I want to make spicy diamond :rofl: Only had sous vide roe on hand for now. Cooked them and froze half before leaving for my holiday.

Tasted even better when I smeared Iberico Schmalz on the bread then piled on the roe.

5 Likes

I like this thread!

Last Wed I had “Indian” but was disappointed.

The chicken tikka masala was white meat (could that be right?), and the Seekh Kebab had too much “filler”.

Next week I might try a place that calls itself “Indian Fijian” and “Indo Chinese”. It has a buffet style lunch. Anyone know what I should look for?

2 Likes

Love dirty rice but have never made it. Shank looks delicious! (Belated response, I know :joy:)

3 Likes

I’ve never seen indian Fijian, though I know there’s a decent sized indian population in the Fiji islands. If I was guessing, I’d think North Indian Muslim dishes with local ingredient influence.

Indo Chinese is well established - I think it’s mostly hakka-inspired food that has more kick from aromatics and chillies. The individual dish preparation varies by region in India - for example Chilli Chicken can be dry-fried (my favorite) or in a brown sauce or an orange sauce. Hakka noodles and fried rice are pretty consistent (and delicious). Manchurian is a preparation that was created in Mumbai by one of the best-known chinese restauranteurs - battered <chicken/paneer/cauliflower/mixed veg balls> in a brown gravy heavily seasoned with aromatics - probably the most popular dish (after rice & noodles).

Don’t expect chinese food from China and you’ll be pleasantly surprised (kind of like american chinese has little resemblance to the real thing but is still delicious).

As a point of interest, chinese food is wildly popular across India - there are street vendors with giant woks stir-frying noodles and rice to order, and many inexpensive and mid-level restaurants have a “chinese” section on the menu (punjabi aka North Indian, South Indian, and chinese are the 3 menu sections at these places). Also integrated into other regional food - Szechuan dosa is a thing!

4 Likes

Hah, jealous of all these - looks great. @ttrockwood, hope you’re not still suffering through the sad desk lunches and dinners like me

2 Likes

They form the basis of the Indo-Chinese section of the menu at my favourite Mumbai street food restaurant (here in the UK). They also do a seekh kebab - I think it’s their normal kebab but chopped up and finished as a stirfry with peppers, onions and a little sauce that tasted very much Chinese rather than Indian (and finished with chopped spring onions).

1 Like

Hey there!

Thankfully the sad desk dinners are a thing of the past :):grinning: not new anymore freelance/consulting gig and they don’t want me doing overtime since I’m hourly :raised_hands:

I revamped my lunch strategy since Santa gave me an Instapot and have been making mega batches of different bean based soups most weekends that i bring in a big thermos with a side of the usual pretzels. The winner I’ve had on repeat is this curry lentil tomato coconut milk thing From bon appetite which i actually just do stovetop. I like to do a (vegan) yellow thai curry paste instead of the curry powder and then add a huge handful of cilantro when i pack it in the morning.

Hope your own sad desk dinners are a thing of the past or at least a rare occasion, life is just too fucking short for that crap

8 Likes

Glad to hear from you again! It sounds like both your work and food lives have improved. Please keep posting. I used to get lots of good tips from you for my vegan daughter. She comes for dinner once or twice a week, and I’ve been making vegan food (mostly soups and pastas) for all of us. I’m pretty much done with making two different meals…

1 Like

It is a Bakpia 肉餅;, not Hopia 好餅;
the former meaning meat pastry and the later bean pastry which as Presunto says was introduced by the Fujianese in the Philippines and used during October 10 for moon cake festival .
The Chinese family and friends would gather together during the festival, play a game of dice with around 36 small Hopias, then around 16 of the next larger size, and again 16 of the next bigger size until the largest size, jackpot is won which is about the size of a round pizza.

1 Like

You’re alive! Good to know.

1 Like