Popeye's Fried Chicken Sandwich

Drove by our only nearby Popeye’s yesterday (Saturday) at 4:30PM. Drive-thru line had 25 cars in it that I could see; probably more as it disappeared behind an adjacent building. The small lot was full too. Sheesh!

Right after they ran out last time I picked up some boneless pieces, bought a brioche bun and tried to make my own at home. It was pretty darned good. That’s not even possible now as I can’t even get near the place. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Wow. Why don’t you go ahead and make it clearer?

2 Likes

I prefer my fried chicken dark meat, and on the bone thank you. And until all this, went fairly regularly, and there were often great “deals”.

Someone please let me know when I can go again without onlookers.

In a similar vein ( okay, maybe not), I love Buffalo chicken wings, but not frying, and am about to try another batch of the Best Oven-Fried Buffalo Wings.

1 Like

What am I missing here? Popeyes has always had a fried chicken sandwich. I bought one in the drive thru several years ago and it came fresh out of the fryer. Be the time I ate it 5-8 minutes later, it was soggy and falling apart. Never ordered it again. But they sure aren’t new unless they somehow just improved them.

2 Likes

Not the same sandwich.

https://www.businessinsider.com/popeyes-chicken-sandwich-vs-chicken-poboy-review-2019-8

The one I had was a fried chicken sandwich on a hamburger bun, not a po-boy. And it was 3 or 4 years ago, not earlier this year.

I recently (before the chicken sandwich came out) stopped at popeyes drive through. I got some chicken tenders and they honestly were pretty crappy. I think they were just sitting for a long time. I actually didnt even finish them and chucked them out :confused: I’m not going back for a while.

I never have this problem at chick fil A. The meat is always hot, juicy, and consistent. Plus you don’t have to wait a long time on line with morons. You also don’t have to worry about them running out or getting body slammed, stabbed, or having someone swinging trays at your head.

1 Like

The article seems to say the po-boy began in 2003 and was just recently discontinued. It doesn’t mention a burger bun unless I missed that. Beside the bun, the earlier version it describes had chicken tenders in it, not a full-on crispy boneless piece. Very different thing.

, CFA obviously has a more civilized clientele than Popeye’s. So stand in line at CFA For a chicken sandwich or risk your life at Popeyes for the same thing. Your choice. A fried chicken sandwich is just a fried chicken sandwich after all.

1 Like

I agree. I will try it eventually, but it looks like it will be a while before the hype dies down.

1 Like

I wouldn’t stand in line . But after eating one I would probably say . " it doesn’t look like the picture. " Fried chicken between a bun , it’s good but …

And if you believe this but I don’t:

Since this picture has now been verified “authentic”, I can just about believe anything. Including half a joint.

I’m pretty sure someone is going to watch over a half joint more closely than that. Calling BS from that guy

4 Likes

Oh come on @corvette_johnny and @Miss_belle ; this isn’t media shenanigans?

I go to Popeyes a LOT and I’m expletive civilized.

Whatever. I’ll be glad when it gets back to business as usual.

5 Likes

They’re not naive. You’re trying to reason with someone hiding behind a keyboard using code words like “animals” “APE-shit” and comparing Popeye’s to Chick-Fil-A - a white (yes I have the balls to say it) christian, conservative corp with an anti-gay agenda. He’s careful (or chicken) not to use real inflammatory words, but he’s as subtle as a Popeye’s beat-down. There are 2400 Popeye’s locations in the U.S., but he and his cheerleader, Miss_b, are purposely painting their customers with one brush because of a few bad actors to satisfy their dumbass views. It’s depressing. I come here to have fun dialoging with other food geeks like myself and have to read that bullshit.

6 Likes

Thanks. I was trying to figure out a not-stupid way to express what you just did, but the only thing that came to mind was dogwhistledogwhistledogwhistle.

5 Likes

Mod note: This discussion has taken a political turn. Locking discussion. I will reach out to you individually. Thanks.

3 Likes