Lunch 2020

Oven. 450* for 20 mins.

1 Like

Oh my that’s truly stunning.

1 Like

This should have made an appearance every single day given my preponderance of tomatoes… but it’s only the second time so far, silly me.

Pan amb tomaquet / pan con tomate using homemade bread and homegrown tomatoes… I’ll be sad when i have to stop saying that!

I grated some ripe tomatoes of a few types, seasoned with red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, a touch of garlic, and olive oil. Toasted and then charred the bread, drizzled with olive oil, spooned over the tomatoes, and another crack of pepper on top. Plus more olive oil.

Just. So. Good.

The slice of Petit Basque on the side was completely unnecessary.

8 Likes

Breakfast pizza
Yukon taters, bacon, mozz cheese, shallots, eggs.

Next time, I will pan fry the eggs and then add them to the oven cooked pizza. The yolks were too firm.

9 Likes

Or crack them on top half way (before the pizza is done)?

The part of an omelet I decided to share with the rest of the family. Multicooker peppers and grated chedder and Monterey Jack cheese.

6 Likes

The pizza needed less time than the eggs. So, as surprised as I was by that, I will cook the eggs while the pizza bakes.

1 Like

Twice cooked pork with celery onion and red bell pepper, white rice.

5 Likes

Some photos from the woods again.

Bright orange fungus. Nesting material on the ground. Spider nest (the balls), the owner came running back acting all defensively. Check out how long the legs are.

Back to my local asparagus farm for more squashes. Plastic covers are rolled up and the other photo is what asparagus looks like when left to their own devices. When in season the plastic covers go on the rows to prevent light from penetrating the spears.

3 new squashes I got:

I eat tomatoes every day, just too lazy to grate.

Latvian smoked sprats

Shrinkie avert your eyes now. I’m on my 4th try of Bursa black figs. Always eat half fresh, slice the rest in small wedges (faster to freeze and thaw) and freeze for oatmeal breakfast and blended fruit drinks.

9 Likes

Holy cow!!

1 Like

Pulled pork nachos-frig cleanout.

8 Likes

I see many squash dishes in my immediate future. I have also been to the farm where they grow the quashes.
_ _

More about the asparagus: they leave it to grow like that on purpose after the harvest. It will be pruned near all the way to the soil when the foliage turns yellow (in late autumn). The roots are growing stronger in the meantime, and next spring we’ll have asparagus again.

Also, I meant to say I’m on my 4th tray of figs. I type fast and sometime miss a letter.

Your photos are such a travel log, I really hope you are writing a book!
At the very least, an audience for local flavors. Have you published?

Thanks! My book only has photos :sweat_smile:

I’m glad you enjoy looking at the photos. I enjoy making them (more than cooking!).

1 Like

Steak salad

And tomatoes and buratta

8 Likes

Fruits are always nice.

Caprese rolls

10 Likes

Main Street Kitchen, outdoors in Walnut Creek. Burger, fries, fish tacos.

Had the BLTA to go for dinner, but it’s not too photogenic.

8 Likes

Lunch today was the last of a batch of chicken and andouille sausage gumbo from the freezer with rice. With gumbo file and hot sauce.

7 Likes

John Deere corn harvesting machine

Finally made it to the farm where they grow asparagus, kale and quashes. Right next to the woods where we go for walks every week.

There’s a machine for buying some simple items such as fruits, eggs, pumpkin soup, milk etc. It’s the countryside and shops have limited opening hours.

At the far end is the woods where we were walking earlier. The farm is small, so small the farmers saw us and thought we were doing something suspicious. I was making photos of his kale field. Then later we came to the farm to buy some squashes.

On the back seat is Muscat, I have to look up type of the other one.

Bright orange velvety fungus by bike path, and my bike.

Back at home

6 Likes

Dumplings filled with squash. Turkish-style: yogurt and paprika butter.

Sumac, extra yogurt and very strong tea on the side, too.

North Sea shrimps “potted”

8 Likes