Lunch 2020

Shaved asparagus in an omelette

Prawn roe in a little bowl

I was making photos of fungi on the next tree stump when this little creature distracted me.

Seems the government is trying their hardest to destroy these woods. Scenes of destruction like this are constantly in your face. This is what it looks like when a huge logging tractor drives back and forth right through the middle of the woods a few hundred times.

The tractor is massive… It was going up and down one of the paths we crossed.

Waiting to be transported

It’s all about the money

6 Likes

BLT. Tomato wasn’t the best so I brightened it up with a squirt of lemon and drizzle of balsamic.

Gorgeous day for al fresco lunch in San Francisco.

8 Likes

Vietnamese rice noodle bowl with five spice chicken.

6 Likes

BLTs and mint juleps.

7 Likes

I don’t think we have BLTs here and we eat a lot of Speck/bacon/pork belly.
_ _

Steamed fresh roe with morels (in cream)

Something colourful to brighten things a bit. Nothing but corona doom and gloom every time one turns on the telly or opens the papers.

Back garden botany:

7 Likes

Matjes

A couple more photos of back garden botany:

Pericallis bi-colour

Found 2 tiny, tiny broken shells in the garden. They shattered every time I touched them. I have resident blackbirds, a robin, great and blue tits, sometimes sparrows in the back garden.

7 Likes

Grilled teriyaki chicken, sweet plantains and rice with purple cabbage. One benefit of working from home is firing up the grill at lunchtime-can’t do that in the office.

5 Likes

Shakshuka with bread (not pictured).

10 Likes

A couple “McMuffins” for lunch.

9 Likes

Bún thịt nướng.

9 Likes

…… and some Bourbon…nice combination!

1 Like

I’ve been trying to pick “projects” for the weekends. Today I was set to make potstickers but apparently I ordered wonton wrapper so having no idea how to shape these, I think I ended up with wontons with potstickers filling, shaped like tortellini. :woman_shrugging: Whatever they were, they were good. Pork, cabbage, carrot, garlic, ginger, soy, sesame seeds, chili sauce, green onion, and a bit of cornstarch. Served them over shredded cabbage with some soy, chili sauce.

12 Likes

That was ambitious!!

3 Likes

Nice looking wontons :dumpling:.

2 Likes

How do you decide which bourbon to drink with what lunch, Mr Happy? :laughing:

The wontons will last many meals I’m sure. I’ve never tried making this shape. In fact, I only know how to do one type of pleating.
_ _

So sad I had plans for Austria and Korea this year but it’s obviously not happening.

Austrian cuisine speaks to me. Many dishes are what we call “poor people’s food”. Austrians are geniuses when it comes to using up leftovers. They can come up with hearty, delicious meals using the most common ingredients such as potatoes, milk, flours. The farmers and housewives know how to preserve and stretch the ingredients due to long winters and living in remote locations.

Button dumplings with scrambled eggs are a dish of leftovers. People make extra just to eat this the next day. It’s also a favourite childhood food of most Austrians.

I made mine with beetroots. I know my imaginary Austrian gran would be proud of me.

Matjes with beetroots and cream.

2/3 of Austria is the Alps. A hiker’s and introvert’s paradise.

Not to mention Speck lover’s paradise. Austria is considered “Speck paradise” to Speck lovers.

4 Likes

I prefer my oysters raw with lemon/lime juice but I wanted to try them in “aquachile” style for once.

Also used salmon.

What did I ever see in ceviche? Only aquachile from now on when I go back to Mexico.

Whichever way one chooses to enjoyoysters, it’s best with some acidity alongside. The reason being it aids the absorption of minerals.

6 Likes

Tacos al pastor.

8 Likes

Perfect plate for some good-looking tacos!

1 Like

Taco tic-tac-toe :mexico:

2 Likes

Tic-tac-tacos! how beautiful.

1 Like