Lunch 2020

!!! That is awesome, thanks.

1 Like

I’ve had that brand and they are indeed pretty good. A little higher end (and more expensive) than the typical instant noodles you find. I remember the laksa had a nice coconut-y flavor to the sauce/broth (probably the coconut powder add-in).

Interesting, I’ve never seen that.

Yeah the powdered coconut milk gave it a nice richness as well. There’s a powdered flavoring pack and a paste packet along with the noodles.

Tenzaru soba with tempura shrimp from Trader Joe’s from the freezer, miso soup, and a salad.

5 Likes

When time doesn’t fly one makes “ricotta”.

Wanted to have a go at making pickled aubergine like I had in Sicily. I used a vegetable peeler to make strips. Next time I will cut it thickly so no more peeler.

I’ve been experimenting with different types of milk. So far goat’s milk gives the best result. Buttermilk ricotta is firmer, better in savoury applications whereas softer ricotta can be used in both sweet(ish) and savoury. Btw, I don’t have a cheese/candy thermometer so this is done sous vide.

I chopped the Iberico meat finely then added some oil from the sun-dried tomatoes to it. Easier to spread. (Made with this meat brought back from Spain)

The glorious spring weather ends today but I’ve got this!

Photos from biking, again.

Where I get my bread, also close to where I get my asparagus. The bakery mills the grains themselves, bakes only sourdough.

A country road cutting through the farms.

Farm on left of previous photo

Narrow bike path with farms on both sides

Asparagus farm

6 Likes

Happy days are here again! My first 4 kilos.

No photo was made when we ate the first asparagus meal. Just cooked it and ate it without anything. That’s how we usually eat the very first asparagus of the season. Just want that first pure asparagus taste.

After that we eat it with everything we fancy.

The red slices are beef tartare in the shape of “sausage”. It is pasteurised, however. We don’t eat asparagus with creamy sauces, but when we do it’s SV confit egg yolks (in jar).

Biking photos continued:

First time seeing this tree with such bark…

An open barn

Completely open. The “curtains” can be lowered and shut.

Golden hour biking through the woods

Iron gate

5 Likes

Yeast dough filled with tomato paste, smoked sausage (cold cut), and pecorino.

I ate the rosemary ricotta with chickpeas and spinach

Last of biking photos:

This farm has 1 lone tree in the middle of it. They let it be.

Normally I wouldn’t be able to stop here for photos but this time the airport has shut down. This very spot was always full of parked cars and people plane-spotting, now it’s eerily empty. All the lights are turned off. These are ALS (approaching lighting system).

Directly behind the fence is the landing strip and runway. Strange not to see those intense flashing lights now.

We biked 5 hours straight! Stopping briefly only for photos.

5 Likes

Roasted sweet potato and chorizo frittata. Glad I added some water to make the mix lighter. Pretty happy with the rise. Served with roasted broccoli. It was frozen broccoli and I blasted it at 250°c but still not totally crunchy.

7 Likes

Amazing, as always.

1 Like

Rice, broccolini, cherry tomatoes, and a baked tandoori style chicken leg.

8 Likes

Thanks, Shrinkie!

I had lots of egg whites after making sous vide confit yolks so I added some vegs (Brussels) and homemade rosemary ricotta to them and this was the result.

First marjoram from the garden.

One year I spent the entire month of April in southern Chile. On Easter day we were in the thermal baths and there was this bunny giving out chocolates to children. I hope next Easter everything is back to normal 'cause it’s getting quite ridiculous now!

6 Likes

I’d like to hear more about that!

Also, are you saying what looks like a frittata was made with egg whites, or egg whites added to whole eggs?

Yes, I just chuck some leftover greens, cheese and egg whites into the pan and cooked until almost set. Then put under the grill/broiler to finish the top.

To sous vide confit yolks you warm the bath to 64C. Carefully glide the yolks, one by one, into a ziplock bag (filled with enough oil to cover to yolks). Carefully lower the bag into the water bath and make sure all the air is expelled. Let simmer for 45 minutes.

You can also confit yolks in the oven, of course. Just make sure the temperature remains constant.

2 Likes

Never thought about this…I’m fascinated but also curious. Why confit just egg yolks – is this a different texture than a soft boiled or semi-runny egg yolk? Is this specifically to remove the egg white for aesthetics?

The consistency is totally different. One obvious thing is the white is not easily contained. You can SV the whole egg, yes. The result is a soft or hard boiled egg depending on the time and temperature.

SV yolks are a custard in texture and mouthfeel. I use them as a sauce for asparagus and (beef) tartare.

1 Like

Pizza for lunch! Mushrooms, red onion, and cherry tomatoes.

8 Likes

Leftover cured salmon from another meal.

Left my camera at home so I used the partner’s phone. Horrible image quality. The same phone previously was much better even though the settings are all the same.

It’s getting greener every day

Returned to our bikes after an hour walking. Hardly anyone around. I hope the measures will remain after the virus is over. I win, Olympics level, at not needing human contact for the longest time.

7 Likes

Kimchi fried rice made with Spam and mushrooms and some really old kimchi.

6 Likes

Some recent lunches:

Beef brisket pho from the freezer:

A “club” sandwich with rye, cold chicken, bacon, provolone, salad greens, and cherry tomatoes.

7 Likes