Looking for indestructible dinnerware/dishes that are microwave safe for reheating

I think I may prefer the old town blue and have found a 64 piece set and a 16 piece set.
I think I like the pattern more …DH will be able to live with these as well.
Old town has been recently discontinued, I do not like what is replacing it
so I will most likely grab the larger set.

Corelle is glass.

It’s why I don’t love it (and others have different opinions, of course). To me it looks and feels like glass. Maybe you should check it out at Target or the like. I’d want to hold it in my hand before buying. IMO it’s unlike anything else.

1 Like

I deleted that post not sure why it is still showing
I realized last night that my grandmother had a set
I was asking specifically what was written regarding
the etsy description

I don’t mind that it’s glass, I just prefer the off-white background colors and the plates that have a wide rim with a bit more heft. Most of the patterns do nothing for me. But it is lightweight and strong and easy to clean and microwaveable. At one time I put a bunch of it (that was given to me) out on the sidewalk to give away, it so displeased my aesthetic sense. But a few years later I missed it’s convenience.

I sent you a message have you read it? I’m still a bit confused regarding the Etsy sets

The plates are all the same material, unless it says"Hearthstone", and that looks completely different. The cups and mugs vary. Some of them were ‘vitrelle’ like the plates (usually a tea cup shape, often with an ‘open’ handle) some were pyrex but most are stoneware. Most of the larger serving items sold separately were not ‘Vitrelle’. Usually the pitchers and large serving dishes were stoneware (from China) but some of the matching bakeware was Corning.

1 Like

I’ve lived to regret those types of decisions too!

Somewhere I acquired a few random pieces of Corelle (all very ugly) but they’re my #1 choice for the microwave.

My local hardware store sells plain white corelle.

So after two days of obsessive research I’m still confused about corelle/corning ware and how to properly identify those pieces made before the name was sold to World Kitchen…Apparently the product has changed and not for the better. I did stop at a local good will and picked up a plate today $1.99… Surprisingly my husband really likes the plate … I thought it would be too flimsy for him…If it lasts more than two weeks in my house I will invest in an authentic vintage (I can only hope) set I spotted on line … provided it’s still available.
Once again I can’t thank you all enough for your input… especially Alexander

The stuff made since at least 2000, does not have the “by Corning” on the back. So if it says ‘by Corning’ like your plate says, it’s the older Corelle. Newer stuff says ’ break and chip resistant’ and ‘made in USA’, ‘dishwasher microwave safe’. Some says “no stovetop or broiler” All says Vitrelle or Vitrelle 2.

Your pattern is called ‘English Meadow’ https://www.microwavecookingforone.com/Corelle/CorelleEnglishMeadow.html

Alexander…I do not see Vitrelle or Vitrelle 2 anywhere
Also the set I was looking at says made in corning NY
this plate says USA
I have been using the link you provided…it’s been a great help

So, when they sold the company, they had to remove the word “Corning” -that was a condition of the sale. I also meant that the newer stuff mentions that it is vitrelle. but the old stuff didn’t - to my knowledge… The exact wording varies- but the key would be the word ‘Corning’… Because you plate says ‘by Corning’ it’s pre- World Kitchen.

I think the oldest original 1970 stuff did not mention ‘microwave safe’ or ‘microwavable’. I think I remember reading that, but I could be wrong. The best website was called Corelle Corner, but it appears to not be working anymore. But I remember reading it many years ago.

1 Like

Thank you

An update…my plate is still intact … it does appear to have bouncy qualities…It has
been dropped, whacked and knocked numerous times. In spite of this
I have not invested in a set because the plate conducts heat a little too well, something
my husband does not like. I enjoyed treasure hunting for my stray plate at goodwill
so I may continue to build a mismatched set/collection that way. I really like my plate.

For what it’s worth, Corelle , like all glass has a very low thermal conductivity. That is, it conducts heat less than even porcelain. Slower than slate or sandstone. Glass is often used as an insulator for electricity , or spun like fiberglass for air insulation. Even Marble conducts heat twice as fast as glass. As far as containing food in a microwave, only wood/paper is less conductive, and plastic, which isn’t really safe when heated. Microwaves do not heat up glass, only the food on it can heat those Corelle plates. And microwaves will dry out wood.

And this is where mass plays a role, because those Corelle plates are so thin and light, hot food will heat them up. Thicker plates might stay cooler from the hot food. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

1 Like

I’m sure you’re right. I got my first microwave in 1979, after going to an appliance store event where they were explained and demonstrated. They’d been around for several years but most home cooks were skeptical. I’m usually the last to clamber onto the bandwagon but in that instance, I was with the trendsetters.

1 Like

If you don’t want to go the Corelle route and like clear plates and bowls, another option would be the Duralex Lys series. Break/chip resistant, microwave safe, wide variety of sizes and styles, very reasonably priced, available from Amazon.

I’m saddened to report that one of my dinner plates met a catastrophic end today.
Shattered to smithereens … I have bleeding legs from flying bouncing glass shards to prove it :frowning: