Looking for indestructible dinnerware/dishes that are microwave safe for reheating

The Corell?

1 Like

Yes

Lol, you are a destroyer of worlds! My grandmother still has all the Corelle cereal bowls she served us snacks from when we were little wee ones. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would say that is entirely accurate!!!

You shattered Corelle? wow. Sorry about the bleeding. Is there a warranty?

1 Like

I shattered a corelle once by stepping on it after I finished a snack I had placed on the floor by the sofa I was on. Later when I got up I stepped on it and it indeed shattered, but I was fine. Did you drop it?

1 Like

For what it’s worth, we’ve used Fiestaware (expensive, but there are sales) for years in and out of the microwave with very good results. They’re very sturdy. There’s been no chipping on our collection of well over 50 pieces, and we’ve dropped a piece or two on our wooden floor with no breakage, and certainly no flying shards. We have unscarred legs to prove it.

1 Like

yes … in the past they have bounced … this one hit just right

Corelle is designed not to break easily when dropped. It will, however, break easily if you, for example, hammer it right in the middle. Anything pointy on the floor that gave the middle a nudge when you dropped it?

No, it just went up and then down.
I think I hit it with my elbow

If somebody hit me with his/her elbow, I’d slash his/her legs too. Just sayin’.

1 Like

lol

Corelle is basically tempered glass which is usually very tough. However, hit it just right & ‘ting’ - shards.

1 Like

The newer stuff for sure

Chowdom,

I have a different reheating solution. I have several sizes of Corningware “etch” with clear glass lids that I use with my microwave. Sometimes, I leave in the paper cartons and just put inside the “etch” pieces. Other times I pour in the food. The “etch” is microwave safe, and the glass lids prevent spatter inside the microwave

Works great.

Ray

Alexander, This is a couple years after initial conversation but just found it…I have Corelle Ultra, Skandia White, purchased about 2006, they have nice heft. They are in my other residence so I don’t know if it states “Corning.” Reading thru these posts I had no idea Corelle has been sold and getting confused on whether they are made with less quality or not? I was ready to order some till I came across this thread. Do I dare order new ones? Looks like they no longer make thicker ones either, they didn’t even know what I was talking about when I called World Kitchen.
Thanks
Z

Hi Ziva, it’s been awhile since I’ve thought about these, but here goes. Despite rumors to the contrary, I think the quality is the same, for the modern vitrelle stuff. That is, ignoring the earthenware stuff that fits under the same Corelle rubric.

As I recall Corelle made 3 weights or thicknesses. “Ultra” was the heaviest. - It was a certain percentage thicker. Scandia White was probably offered in regular and ‘Ultra’ thickness. There was a 3td thickness, more in the middle that was only available in a style they called “Cornerstone”… although maybe Scandia was included. It was perhaps 30% thicker, while “Ultra” was perhaps 70% thicker. I guess Etsy and EBay are the places to look for it.

I stopped by the outlet store and purchased new ones, they are all light weight but nice. I didn’t want to spend too much time looking up the heavier ones on eBay etc, I needed lots of different pieces.

Thanks so much for your quick and informative responses! I may bug you again with more Corelle questions.

Ziva