Looking for a cake carrier

A few times a year I need something to carry a homemade cake in. The specific sort of cake varies, but it’s generally made in an 8 to 10" round cake pan. I generally don’t make very tall cakes (a couple of times a two-layer frosted carrot), and I often need to transport it in a cooler along with other items, so compactness would be very welcome.
Right now I have to carriers: a 3. Sweet Creations Locking Cake Carrier and and a Prepworks by Progressive Cake Carrier. Both are much too big for what I need–the Sweet Creations is at least twice as tall as needed and the Prepworks is nearly as tall, but its diameter is so huge it doesn’t fit in my coolers (one of the clips broke after a few uses; the company sent me a replacement but for the wrong model).

Ideally, I’d like something that’s no larger than would fit something from a 10" cake or pie pan, and no taller than to have a 4" internal clearance (i.e., carrier’s inside bottom to inside top, not from the cake’s top). The vertical space should all be in the lid, not the bottom–that way I don’t have to try to fit my fingers down into the bottom to try to get it out (i.e., take off the lid and it’s ready to serve or to slide off onto a place).

Any suggestions? Everything I see seems to be made for 7-layer type cakes or a similar dimension. I’d thought maybe something sold as a “food storage container” rather than one specifically for cakes, and invert it (use the lid as the bottom), but the dimensions are a snag.

1 Like

I’ve had luck at the Dollar Store or
even a discount Store like HomeSense/Winners/Marshall’s.
Tupperware has both large cake carriers and shorter ones as well (when available) as they rotate what is showcased in their brochures.
P.S.
I’m mistaken about the Tupperware.
Just checked my cupboard and there isn’t a smaller size only a large Round Cake Taker designed to hold a 3 layer cake.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Yes our Dollar Store has cake carriers. I used some of them when our community had a cake walk and I did several Apple Cream Cheese Bundt cakes to sell.

1 Like

Ok, but that’s exactly the dimensions I said were too big: H 7 x L 14 inch, and made for “even tall layer cakes.”

I’ve seen them at Marshalls/TJMaxx/Home Goods.

But… You can also get a version that multitasks (cupcakes, deviled eggs, middle shelf for 2 layers of something), so if you think you might use it for anything else, maybe it’s worth a few more bucks.

@Scott_R
The Dollar store one is about 4 1/2 inches tall.

(post deleted by author)

Tupperware does have this Colapsable Cake Taker if you can find it:

1 Like

Or depending on how flat your cake is, a pie carrier might do it.

1 Like

Tupperware also has a round container to carry pies etc. :

1 Like

In my life, I don’t know what a flat cake is so it is hard for me to imagine anything less than three gorgeous layers. LOL

1 Like

I found this other version of a Tupperware Round Pie Taker:

Thanks @vafarmwife, I think that I was thinking of the Pie Taker.
Perhaps they made a small Cake Taker at one point and decided not to renew because it didn’t sell?

1 Like

And there is dispoable

https://kitchendance.com/aluminum-foil-pans/foil-cake-pans-containers/

1 Like

Maybe the Locknlock Pie Carrier? It measures approximately 5" Height x 12-3/4" Diameter We’ve been pretty happy with the brand.

2 Likes

I was trying to link to that precise one Homestyle Turkey and could not get it to link.

1 Like
1 Like

Great minds, vafarmwife! :wink: The web link was over a hundred characters. So obnoxious.

I bought the larger cake carrier for an artisanal baker friend of mine and she loved it. They tend to be pretty sturdy.

1 Like

On Amazon: Dimensions are 11.8" x 11.8" x 6.1”