Let's talk lobster [NJ]

I’ve never seen whole lobsters at a food truck. I’m sure it exists though. There must be a reason why it isn’t more popular.

Neither have I however when I see a “Cousins Lobster Truck” I did assume they would have some sort of plain lobster offerings. The lobster roll was very good and I would encourage you to try it. I do notice now that I look at the link you provided for Freehold they do list a “tail and tots” on the menu, they didn’t offer that on my visit.

1 Like

It would be difficult to keep live lobsters in a food truck and I’d never order a previously cooked whole lobster, anyway. My guess is that the lobster meat in the rolls, tacos, whatever was cooked and shelled elsewhere and delivered. Note that the lobster rolled contain no tail meat. Uncooked lobster tails can now be frozen whole. Tails demand a premium. That Cousins provides an excellent product means they know what they’re doing. Some previously cooked and packaged lobster is frozen with added brine and salt. Doesn’t sound like Cousins goes that route. I’d certainly try one of their lobster rolls.
In any event, if I don’t see a lobster tank, I’m wary of ordering lobster at an unfamiliar restaurant.

1 Like

I’ve never watched Shark Tank. We first learned about Cousins when a “Coming soon” sign went up last year on the windows of a space two blocks from our Manhattan apartment. The sign included a website, so I checked it out and discovered that they have trucks in many states, including NJ. The fact that the listing for NJ is Freehold was confusing because when I looked at the locations where the truck stops, Freehold was/is not included. (It’s just for registration purposes.) However, I was happy to see that the truck comes to the Gateway Shopping Plaza, in Old Bridge, a 10-15 minute drive from our house.

We went immediately and have gone several times since. It’s usually there Mondays and Fridays, but we always check the schedule which they post weekly for all NJ locations because it can change. We buy the food and take it back to our house.

Cousins Maine Lobster Truck
(That’s Mr. RBI waiting for our order.)

So far, we’ve only had the clam chowder (fantastic!), the Maine lobster roll (excellent)…

Cousins Maine Lobster Truck

…and whoopie pies (chocolate and red velvet, both very tasty).

Full photo set here.

The Manhattan restaurant opened a few months ago. We tried it in November. It has a somewhat more extensive menu than the truck. I ordered the fish and chips. Disappointing.

My Blog
My Flickr
My Instagram

3 Likes

Who is going to eat the whole thing? :slight_smile:

https://www.delish.com/restaurants/a27377576/giant-lobster-roll-north-river-lobster-company-nyc/

1 Like

$100 is not bad at all, when you consider lobster rolls the size of a hot dog bun usually fetch $20-25. That’s quite a deal.

1 Like

Does anyone know of any lobster sales for the holiday weekend?

@Laura_Trama. I was heading over for a lobster roll today. I forgot you are closed. Maybe tomorrow :slight_smile:

I talked to my uncle and he picked up 4 hard shell at Shrewsbury shoprite today. He said they were 6 or 7 a lb and delicious! He got 4 for around 50. He told the gentleman to test each one and asked for the hardest shell ones he could find in the tank. He got hooked up and got 4 nice hard shells. I’m ready! I hope everyone has a happy holiday weekend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Acme is advertising 6.99 lb for up to 1.5 lbs and I believe 7.99 for 1.5 or larger starting 5/24.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.

Look at this article. It is crazy to think a fresh water carp could transfer a disease to a lobster.

Boondock’s in Red Bank is open for the season. I haven’t checked this out yet but they run a special of 2 lobsters, corn, potatoes for $26.95 Tuesdays - Thursdays after 4 PM.

If anyone is interested in getting the excellent lobster roll and/or other lobster-related items from Cousins Maine Lobster during this holiday weekend, the truck will be in Old Bridge today, 11:30 am - 4 pm, and at the Colts Neck Distillery, 5-10 pm; Sat.-Mon., in Bradley Beach and at the Jersey Shore Food Festival in Monmouth Park. For those hours, check the website (click Freehold on the truck list).

cousinsmainelobster.com

1 Like

@NotJrvedivici

Been there done that!

I presume you’re referring to the lobster roll? You didn’t like it?

The Colts Neck Distillery / Muckleye in general, although Cousin’s Lobster truck was there for my one and only visit to the distillery it was the “highlight” of the night. Pricey but the food was good. Not good enough though that I would bother with going to the Distillery for it, though I assume you can just walk up and take home as I/we did.

The lobster roll is one of the best we’ve had, and the chowder is terrific.

We’re going to the Old Bridge truck for lunch this afternoon. The very first time we went, it was before cold weather set in, and they had one high top table outside the truck. Now that the warm weather is here, perhaps they’ll put out a table or two though I don’t recall if there were seats. If there are tables but they’re standing only, we’ll take the food back to the house and eat on our patio.

Update: We completely forgot about horrible holiday traffic on Route 9, so we nixed our plan for Cousins Maine Lobster.

I was just in ShopRite to rectify another price discrepancy from a home shopping order. While at the customer service counter, a woman inline behind me raved about how delicious the lobsters were. (Ironically, I bought Angus Prime NY strips and got home to find yet again I was overcharged.)

I really think they are still struggling at finding great staffing at that location.