Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

I thought you were describing my children.

5 Likes

Hehe, I just took my two kitties to the vet this weekend. The vet said both were “easy” compared to her previous clients, who apparently tried to shred her hands. My boys get nervous and tense, and mew non-stop, but they basically just get tense and freeze – no drawing of blood. They do put up quite a fight when trying to get them in the carriers though. :pouting_cat:

1 Like

My vet told me that most cats protest more with their owners, the little beasts know they can manipulate them, while a total stranger (vet) just get them tense, and they don’t know what to expect.

1 Like

[quote=“sck, post:1, topic:454”]
Where are you?[/quote] Houston, Texas

[quote=“sck, post:1, topic:454”]What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you can’t stop talking about it?[/quote] Cooking is my sole creative outlet these days. I love grocery shopping and hit four or five different stores a week.

[quote=“sck, post:1, topic:454”]What’s a great food experience you have had? [/quote] So, so many. I shared a wonderful Indonesian rijstaffel in Edam, Netherlands. I ate fresh, surf-caught fish fried in an old steel drum half on the beach near the pink lighthouse in Cozumel. So much good food and so little time.

[quote=“sck, post:1, topic:454”]A little tidbit about you. [/quote] I just became an empty nester after being a single dad for over twenty years. It’s very weird.

3 Likes

Where are you?
Britain - Liverpool
(and please can people in the US tell us in full where they live - I don’t know what NI, CT, WA, SC etc mean … it just makes the boards more US-centric)

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you can’t stop talking about it?
All of it really, but I always end up discussing ideas with colleagues at work on what to have to eat this evening. I like talking about food full stop - but I love middle eastern food especially at the moment and I like talking about how to avoid supermarkets but still eat well for not too much money.

What’s a great food experience you have had?
Walking to a farmhouse early in the new year at the top of a col in Tuscany and eating a meal cooked by the family who live and work there. A huge open fire, two tables seating a total of about 20 people, course after course of great home cooked Italian food and copious wine. Perfect.

A little tidbit about you
I love cooking, but am very messy when I do it - so I would never survive on cooking competitions like Masterchef. I love exploring the small, cheap places to eat when I’m travelling in France, Spain, Italy etc, and also in Liverpool where I live. I have had a few multi-Michelin starred dining experiences (L’Enclume, Le Manoir, Winteringham Fields) which were great, but I’m not sure I will do again because I’ve realised that I prefer great food in more relaxed atmospheres - and Britain is starting to get good at that. And I’m a Liverpool Football Club fan …

7 Likes

There ya go:

http://www.stateabbreviationlist.com/

2 Likes

First, Hellooooooooooo Theresa of Liverpool! (Wasn’t there some band from Liverpool in the 60’s?)

Welcome to our humble onion, hope you enjoy looking around and I look forward to your contributions! Funny I grew up in the restaurant business so at the end of the day there was always someone else to clean up your mess. So I realize now that made me a rather messy cook, I’ve gotten better over the years, making a concious effort to clean as I go, makes everything easier that way.

Oh, I’m from Monmouth County New Jersey which is on the mid-lantic coast. It’s a beach-shore community! Welcome once again!

Welcome Theresa! We need Liverpudlians to balance out the Mancunian population in the form of @Harters !

1 Like

Welcome Theresa! Gio here, from a town north of Boston Massachusetts. MA is one of the 6 New England states, located on the northern Atlantic coast between Maine (ME) to the north and Rhode Island (RI) to the south. Lots of British-American history around where I live.

Great to see you on HO! Sorry to have to pin you down, but please tell us about some of these great diners – whether in Merced or elsewhere. We love diner food, when it’s done right.

Don’t you have a sister who also used to be on CH? Bring her on over!

(I was the mostly-lurking Steve Green on CH)

Heck…even if it’s a red headed step brother bring him on over too!!! The more the merrier here on the Onion!!

On a side note, I had lunch at one of the all time great NJ Diners, Mastoris in Bordentown NJ. I had an excellent rueben there…so hard to find a good one these days. Also they serve cheese bread with their meals, pastry style served warm…soooooo good.

OK, I need to add this cheese bread to the “I’m Craving” thread! Note to self, do not read HO while hungry!

1 Like

Happy to see you here susancinsf!

I am in Vancouver, BC (on the Left Coast of Canada, just before you fall in the water). I’ve been lucky enough to spend a fair amount of time chowing in the San Francisco Bay Area and have made some great friends there through Chowhound, where I still read and post. Lately we’ve been driving to Portland, Oregon for eating adventures three times a year.

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you can’t stop talking about it?
I do love to help steer friends and family toward tasty grub wherever I happen to be. I carry lists of local restaurants around in my purse that have saved me and mine from many an empty, unlovely calorie – yeah, old school, but no batteries required!

Eating freshly caught fish that were alive moments before being grilled on a beach in Mexico, under a palapa.

A little tidbit about you
I have two degrees in English with a focus on children’s literature. So I am a word bird who gets to read all the best kid lit without anyone gainsaying my behaviour ;-).

8 Likes

Hi Theresa

Glad you found us, at last - assuming you’re the Theresa from Liverpool who used to play on Chowhound. I look forward to seeing your posts on the UK board. We were over in the city just last week - couldnt get in to Lunya.

John

Welcome to HO!!!

It’s your lucky day because I write like a child so you should enjoy my contributions!

I do hope you like our little slice of the pie here, as you might have already figured out most of us are disgruntled Chow members who felt rather dejected by the overhaul and complete lack of consideration to any feedback we gave. Great effort has gone into setting this up with a strong emphasis on the community aspect, with that said if you do still have friends from Chow or other who might enjoy what we have to offer, please invite them to come visit us as well.

Once again welcome to the community, look forward to seeing your contributions! (although I’m on the east coast US so perhaps we won’t cross path’s too often)

3 Likes

1.San Francisco Parkside Neighborhood
2.I do not understand when people say that they have no time to cook. I come home every night after work and make a full dinner from scratch. Good food doesn’t always take a long time, just good ingredients and a generous heart. Really…

5 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: No time to cook?

Where are you? NY

I am passionate about traditional, authentic cooking. “You may ask, how did this tradition get started? I’ll tell you. I don’t know. But it’s a tradition” I love making homemade breads with my husband who is the expert, especially authentic NYC style bagels - the kind my great grandfather used to make - that I love with my lox or chopped chicken liver for Sunday brunch. I have many bookmarks of youtube videos of old grandmothers from around the world in their kitchens (many with just a bowl and a wooden spoon), making incredible, traditional meals from scratch. Those are my favorite recipes to make and share.

That is a great question. My Mom (who instilled in me the love for reading and writing), gave me a book many many years ago written by Laura Esquivel called “Like Water for Chocolate” which describes beautifully how all of our senses relate to foods that then mix into our life experiences (they have great recipes in the book as well!) For me, my favorite life experiences are related to food and reading from the above posts, it seems like it is for all of you as well.
My earliest memory was me standing on a stool in front of our tiny kitchen counter watching my mother make her schnitzel and feeling like I was the most important person in the world because she let me beat the eggs (when she was done, I used to eat the leftover egg/breadcrumb batter that the raw meat was dipped in - don’t ask me why… or why she was never worried that I could have gotten salmonella poisoning - which I never did btw). I couldn’t wait to have kids so I could pass down the joy of cooking with them. A great majority of our time as a couple, then as a family was (and still is) spent in the kitchen - although neither of my kids ever asked to eat the leftover batter :joy:

A little tidbit about you (a few)
I put vinegar on my fries; I love the smell of wood and spices; I soak basil in olive oil for a few days and sprinkle it on my pizza; I love garlic and I am a person who is not only passionate about food and life, but who loves to laugh and joke around so don’t take me too seriously, even if I forget the emoji.

1 Like

This book was one of my first ventures into understanding food and senses as well. Read it many times!

1 Like