Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

My pleasure. So happy to have the gang back!!

1 Like

Definitely feeling the school spirit there.

Ok, finally just got hereā€¦havenā€™t even had time to update my user profile, but nice to see lots of familiar names.

Where am I? Good question: smallish town, Merced, in Californiaā€™s Great Central Valley. born and raised and live much of my life in Oakland and SF (which is where I lived when I joined Chowhound, and I brought over that user name). Merced has lots going for it, including some great food in the markets and my backyard. The restaurants, not so great.

Food related topic I am passionate about: changes from day to day and week to week. Lately I have been obsessed with exploring old fashioned diners, perhaps because that is one genre of restaurant that is often either really, really good or really bad in my neck of the woods (as opposed to just being mediocre like many of the restaurants around here), and it is fun to figure out which is which. I love really, really good diners. I am also obsessed with finding places that serve Banh Xeo, since they are very hard to find in my neck of the woods.

A great food experience I have had: Living and eating in Mexico City when I was in high school. Needless to say, I gained quite a bit of weight that year.

A tidbit about me: I love gardens and love eating the harvest of my own garden. However, I DETEST gardening. My idea of a good afternoon is having a beer or margarita on the back porch and watching hubby put in the summer veggies.

Cheers to all!

9 Likes

Good to see you here!

Welcome! Please make yourself at home, look around, kick your shoes off and make yourself comfortable.

Iā€™m in NJ what is considered by many to be the diner capital of the world. Your assessment of either very very good or bad is pretty much the same here.

Well I look forward to your contributions!!

Dogs eat their poop!

Nuff said. :wink:

And migrant workers poop on your lettuce.

So whatā€™s your point?

Well, it was humor, actually. See the smiley? Itā€™s right up there.

Didnā€™t, sorry, mea culpa.

1 Like

No harm, no foul. We good.

I have a veterinary med friend who hates cats and loves dogs, so thatā€™s my retort every time the topic comes up. Your post made me respond reflexively with the same humor (cue mike drop). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some humans eat their own poop too! Donā€™t believe me watch the Steve O comedy special on Showtime. Actually donā€™t, just take my word for it.

2 Likes

Trust me, no need to tell me not to watch that!

Well, Iā€™d want to know that before allowing him/her taking care of any of my cats!

6 Likes

Seriously. The foque!?

2 Likes

She loves critters, but cats (she of course approves of my two Feline Americans) are mighty testy in the vetā€™s office, compared to dogs. And sheā€™s a dog person.

If I thought she might ever be less than tender with cats, I wouldnā€™t like her so much.

Iā€™ve always felt it a shame that vets & staff seldom get to see the best side of their cat patients. Most cats simply canā€™t relax in a strange environment like most dogs can. Presumably one enters the profession due to a love of animals and then receives the brunt of the feline angst but none of the purrs.

3 Likes

I think youā€™ve nailed it.

Weā€™re lucky ā€“ both the late Dude and now our little monkey boy was/are nothing but friendly and calm at the vet. But I realize thatā€™s rare.

2 Likes

My little 6.5 lb dark tortie, Zoe is a gentle angel at the vet. Freddy is manageable, Jasper left all vets white knuckled and bleeding. I had to use a house call vet when he became too hard to safely crate. Even sedated for euthanasia in my bedroom closet, he was growling at the vet. Before these guys, I had an angel and devil split with two before them.

1 Like

My cat is sweeter at the vetā€™s place or rather, at a strangerā€™s place, he obeys, no problem with needles, never complains. At home, he protests and tries to negotiate all the time.

I was always wondering the vetā€™s pet orientation, but sometimes I get the hints before choosing the vet.