What's for Dinner #9, 5/2016 - the "Don't Cast a Clout" edition

So… I was an avid CH’er for about two years or so but then I had a SW project to do, which took up all of my free time, so I’ve been out of touch for a bit… anyhoo… I went back to see that it has not only changed drastically, but there was a huge (yuge!) exodus. Searching for wth happened, I came across a newspaper article that wrote that many ex-CH’ers were over at Hungry Onion - so I came by to check it out - and lo and behold, all of you are here! So - hello all!!!
…and to the subject at hand - WFD? A glass of red wine to toast you all, a beautiful plate of penne arrabbiata and homemade ciabatta with balsamic vinegar.
Cheers!

9 Likes

Sounds delicious, and welcome! We’re glad to see you here!

3 Likes

Glad you found us! Hungry Onion has become quite a nice place !

2 Likes

The only thing I really cooked today was potatoes (for my partner). Cut into wedges, tossed in oil and chopped chives, cooked themselves in the oven til crispy. In the meantime I sliced some Uruguayan tenderloin, shaved asparagus for salad and that’s about it, I think.

Mustard cress provides a nice sharp contrast.

First 4 chive flowers from my garden went in the salad. Shaved asparagus is unruly but in a bowl it’s easier to keep it in place.

Didn’t bother with egg yolk

6 Likes

Twenty-five? Ohhhhh Myyyyyy! Now that is very impressive!

Welcome to the party! And yum on dinner. :slight_smile:
Maybe you can reintroduce yourself on the “Let’s introduce ourselves” thread here - if you can overlook the avatar that Jr is using, as his picture comes up since he started the thread. LOL

1 Like

Plus spitting is soooo unladylike :slight_smile:

Hey!!! While I think that link is hysterical I didn’t start any thread, so I’m not sure what exactly you linked to.

Cheers and welcome to our new home!!! So glad you found us…please feel free to spread the word! Looking forward to your contributions!

1 Like

Saturday . I have waited a year for this . Private party . Whole 125 # pig spit roasted that is locally sourced . Cooked by a top butcher , and chef . So many other local foods and wine that are also going to be served ,:joy::joy::joy:

9 Likes

Epic day and evening. I sliced 4 lbs of homemade lox pre dinner for an app. Low country boil for dinner. We stared the day at 9:30 am sampling 10 barrels at Four Roses. Bought 3 barrels The just retired master distiller of Four roses joined us for dinner as well as the Foursquare masters distiller from Barbados and his wife who did a presentation of on pure rum while we sampled Velier and other pure rums and epic bourbons. What a beautiful evening.

9 Likes

Definitely (about the learning). I just wish Britain could get over itself about it. Almost everything about Germany is couched in terms of the war - football matches being a classic case with the newspapers. And, only yesterday, we were driving home and saw this big poster in a farmers field about our EU referendum - an official poster from the “Vote Leave” campaign with the slogan “Halt ze German Advance”.

For fuck’s sake, the enmity between the two countries was a matter for my father and grandfather’s generations, not mine.

Rant ends…

1 Like

I’ve been bitten by a vicious bug causing what, in polite society, is known as a tummy upset. It’s cut short our trip to Belgium and France and completely bollocksed the planned fancy eating part of the trip - would you believe I had to leave a Michelin 2* meal halfway through!. And meeting up for dinner with a friend and his wife who now live in rural France.

Goodness knows what tonight’s dinner brings. Mrs H is playing Florence Nightingale and is promising the likes of poached fish (of which nothing is more likely to aid my belief in quick recovery so I can get to proper food).

2 Likes

'tis silly, indeed.

LOL - although it is quite amusing.
Thank you all btw for your kind words and I posted on Let’s introduce ourselves.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

1 Like

Absent for so long, work, singing, teaching and little cooking. But remedying that tonight. Local butcher had a prepared small porchetta, so that is roasting on a bed of leeks and potatoes. Asparagus for a starter, just with butter. And I have made a proper egg custard, which has actually worked, due to me err… following a recipe!

8 Likes

Hoping for a quick recovery, JH.

WFD: Tunisian lamb burgers from Emeril’s Kicked-Up Sandwiches: caraway seeds; coriander seeds; ground lamb; garlic; lemon zest; parsley; Aleppo pepper; ground allspice; parsley; mayonnaise; ground cumin; butter lettuce.

Ciabatta rolls.
Grated carrot salad. Sliced radishes, cucumber coins. Chips.

6 Likes

Took out two gorgeous fat ribeyes for our main course and am now pondering what sides I can make without leaving the house. I have some cremini mushrooms, so perhaps I’ll saute those with some cognac and cream for a sauce, or I could make a mushroom soup with dried porcini. I have stuff for a quick salad as well.

4 Likes