Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

The movie was excellent too!

2 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Making bagels at home

Hi! The bagel discussions are moved to this thread to help more people find the discussions:

Be still, my heart. . . .

1 Like

I really love being able to say I know somebody who moonlights as a torch singer

2 Likes

I hope I didnā€™t do this already, and if I did, I REALLY hope I donā€™t contradict myself.
1- Tucson, AZ, USA
2- It changes around, but Mexican food is a favorite
3- A venison meal in a castle in Germany
4- Iā€™ve been a ā€˜foodieā€™ since the '70s

Psssst. Iā€™m also a delivery driverā€¦ but that may not sound nearly as interesting :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Depends on what you are delivering.

2 Likes

Where are you?

Long Island, NY - a bedroom community of Manhattan/New York City - and a culinary abyss.

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you canā€™t stop talking about it?

Greek Cuisine. Not just the gyros and plain grilled fish, but the real Greek Cuisine of Greece and of the Greeks. The cuisine that requires culinary skill to prepare.

Whatā€™s a great food experience you have had?

Finally finding Greek Cuisine outside Greece, in Manhattan, once, some years back, and it was as fleeting as it was amazing.

A little tidbit about you:

Extraordinarily discerning, persnickety food oriented individual my whole life, since a toddler mom says. Home cooking rocks anything anywhere, restaurants are a necessary chore to suffer through.

Really? Including Brooklyn and Queensā€¦ and still an abyss???

1 Like

Lolā€¦ thanksā€¦ Iā€™m in Nassau, on the south shoreā€¦
Brooklyn and Queens are, as I wrote, part of New York Cityā€¦
Queens, and now Brooklyn, have good food, maybe better than Manhattan.
But, please, letā€™s talk about food.
Do you know of Any place on the south shore of Nassau County that serves food above what is served to the masses?

1 Like

ĪµĻ…Ļ€ĻĻŒĻƒĪ“ĪµĪŗĻ„Ī·, ĻƒĻ…Ī¼Ļ€Ī±Ļ„ĻĪ¹ĻŽĻ„Ī·Ļ‚.

I donā€™t know whether the Greek (from Google Translate) will print correctly. We have two outstanding Greek high-end Greek restaurants here in the Bay Area, only a few souvlaki-and-moussaka joints, and several good church festivals. Arenā€™t Michael Psilakisā€™s places (one in Roslyn) good? And my family has enjoyed Pylos on East 7th in the East Village (especially the mezes; when I visit we usually just make a meal from them).

Chef Michael Psilakis place ā€œOneraā€ was the place I was referring to with the quip about being, ā€œas fleeting as it was amazing.ā€
All his places now are good, definitely not great.
Pylos was such a huge letdown 10 years ago with Diane Kochilas and crapā€¦ latest word from a trusted friend says they are now sourcing high quality ingredients, but that doesnā€™t say much about the culinary skill of the kitchen staff.
As for the usual suggestion we all get about making a meal of mezedes, yeah, sure, usually. Not much of a choice, usually. But a sit down dinner of entrees that need culinary skill to prepare would be nice too. Even in Manhattan.
Iā€™ve been looking to make a trip to the other coast just to try Kokkari. Hopefully somedayā€¦

Well, I grew up in Queens and donā€™t see where you specified Brooklyn and Queens as in NYC and not part of your world. My OCD side wasnā€™t comfortable seceding them from"Long Island". Butā€¦ on to finding you some good chow. Sorry I canā€™t help as its been way too long.

Since youā€™re in New York, it would probably make better sense to just hop a plane to Athens instead of a special trip to San Francisco just for Kokkari. In Athens youā€™d have lots of other places to sample. Really, the Bay Area is kind of a desert for Greek cuisine.

1 Like

Ok. My last trip to the Bay Area was an eating extravaganza and it did not include Greek food from a Greek restaurant. But since I own the Kokkari book, I figured next time I make it out to the Bay Area I might as well try it. And you said there were TWO restaurants in your area. No?

Three, actually, but theyā€™re far apart.

Kokkari in San Francisco
Evvia in Palo Alto, maybe an hour south, owned by the same people as Kokkari
Pathos in Berkeley, started by some Kokkari folks. This one doesnā€™t have many entrees beyond the ones youā€™re probably tired of.

Because they all have the same roots, it might not make sense to hit all three. Of course, youā€™re right about the Bay Area generally providing an ā€œeating extravaganzaā€, just not among Greek places.

1 Like

The beauty is that I donā€™t tire of it. And I find so much Greek in so many places. Iā€™ll spare you the details and just thank you for the names of the places I hope to try.

Besides San Francisco and Sonoma and Napa we had the chance to head out to Gilroy for the garlic festival.
I donā€™t discriminate. I find beauty in the best places.
Greek, or notā€¦

Hello,

(Very!) longtime mostly-lurker from Chowhound who has just found my way here. Name on CH was Poptart.

1. From Boston area

2. Love love love reading cookbooks, and experimenting with random cooking techniques. Big admirer of real, honest food (like grandma used to make) but also love new takes on honest food. Lover and addict of good coffee.

3. Seminal food experiences include 1) learning to cook simple Italian food from my grandmother 2) trip to Italy where I discovered that all fruits and vegetables there must be grown by magic because they all taste so much better than the ones I grew up eating in the US 3) Farmerā€™s market produceā€¦learning to cook with veggies I never knew about before (hello, purslane!)

5 Likes

Welcome